Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
New Deckbuilders Coming!
The new and much improved Android Netrunner Deckbuilder is now live. Check out this topic for the details!

Darksbane
Photo

The Comprehensive New Player Thread: Everything You Need To Know To Start Playing AGoT LCG

* * * * * 5 votes

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1,853 posts

POPULAR

Welcome to the comprehensive new-player thread. The Game of Thrones card game started as a CCG (collectible card game) in 2002 designed by Fantasy Flight Games and based on the novels written by George R.R. Martin. In 2008 the game was rebooted as an LCG (living card game)(that's why some LCG cards have the old black border instead of white). Cards are now released in monthly chapter packs ($10-15) with a fixed distribution of 3 copies each of 20 different cards. The game can by played 1v1 ("joust" - usually more competitive) or with 3-6 players ("melee" - usually more casual, almost board-game style).

In the game players use customized decks to assume leadership of one of the great houses of Westeros vying for control of King's Landing and the Iron Throne. To achieve their goals, players launch military attacks against their opponents, undermine their opponents’ plans with intrigues of their own, and make brazen power plays to win the support of the realm.

Official Resources
FFG's Support Page
Video Tutorial
Basic Rules

The FAQ & Tournament Rules (includes the restricted list)

Which House Is For You?
The links in this section were penned in 2012, so they're one year old but still contain valuable information. The articles lay out the strengths and weaknesses, generally speaking, of each House.
For example, Baratheon is associated with rush because they can win power challenges and earn renown easily. However, Baratheon also has some control elements from its shadows and Asshai-themed cards, and recently Bara cards have focused on recursion from the discard pile.
Greyjoy and Stark excel at military challenges, but both are relatively poor at intrigue. Greyjoy can save its characters from being killed, discard cards from an opponent’s deck, cancel opponent’s effects, and create unopposed challenges. Greyjoy also features Raider characters and Warship locations.
Stark, on the other hand, can search (“tutor”) for cards, defend challenges successfully, and benefit from winning military challenges. They're home to Direwolves and treasonous House Bolton characters.
Martell is known for their card advantage through “reveal” effects, for taking away challenge icons on opposing characters, and for dishing out punishment when you win a challenge against them.
Targaryen’s biggest theme is undeniably “burn”, which means reducing the strength of opposing characters and using effects that kill zero-strength characters. Targ also has Dragons and Dothraki. They’re probably the third best House for military might, and they have the best keyword in the game -- ambush -- to take advantage of influence-providing cards.
Lannister is all about draw, gold, kneel, and intrigue challenges. They boast top-notch card advantage and economy, they can control opponent’s characters primarily by kneeling them, and they can strip cards from the opponent’s hand. However, Lannister lacks renown and military and power icons, so they’re usually slow to win. You can’t have it all.

What To Buy First
The answer depends on a lot of variables. If you’re buying for yourself, and you want to a build competitive Joust deck quickly, then look no further than the new player buying guide. If you’re providing cards for an entire group that plays Melee, then focus on maintaining balance between each House.
If you’re unsure where you fit in that spectrum, it’s a good idea to play online first and get a feel for the game’s mechanics before committing to one House, theme, or archetype. You can also browse winning decklists, many of which are posted online, to get a feel for what works.

The current card pool sits around 1300 cards, and 240 additional cards are added each year. There is no set rotation, but the LCG model means makes Thrones a relatively cheap investment. For $800-1,000 you can own 3 copies of every card in the game, which is much cheaper than comparable CCGs. Many players do not feel the need to purchase every chapter pack. Instead they borrow cards for tournaments and use proxies during casual play to fill gaps in their collection.

Update: FFG has announced that in November 2014 they will announce a change to tournament-level Thrones which makes the game more accessible to new players. For discussion on this topic see here.

Browse The Cards
On Cardgamedb
On Agotcards

Browse Submitted Decks

Start in the deck thread directory
On Cardgamedb
On Agotcards

Build Decks
On Cardgamedb
On Agotcards

Official Tournaments
Store championships are the bottom of the pyramid, and they run during February and March. Regional tournaments are more prestigious, and the season runs from May to July. The U.S. National Championship is held at Gen Con in August, and the World Championship is held at FFG headquarters in Minnesota in November. Additionally, many major, unofficial tournaments are held in Europe and other countries around the world.

Rules Questions & Answers
Quills & Tankards Articles
Rules Questions Forum
Valar Morghulis
Timing Structure

Play Online FOR FREE via OCTGN
Online organized play is growing rapidly. There are currently bi-annual tournaments, a league, and an invitation-only tournament, all run by dcdennis. There is no subscription necessary to play on OCTGN, but subscribing supports the developers and unlocks some additional features. Cards released in the last six months are c
ensored - you can have either the text OR the picture, but not both. You can host a game or find a game to join in the lobby (click the orange button to refresh).
OCTGN Thread with Downloads (ask questions here)
OCTGN Installation Walkthrough

OCTGN Shortcuts (Hold down shift to place cards facedown during setup or into shadows)(right click for most everything else)

Helpful Sites for New Players
Playing With a Limited Card Pool
Deckbuilding 101
On Choosing Economy Locations
Card Advantage
Deck Archetypes
Article Archive
The Deck Threads
Setup Analyzer

Other Fan Sites
Casterly Rock
Wildfire Gaming

Podcasts
2 Champs 1 Chump Podcast (Every Friday)
Beyond the Wall (Every Monday)
Team Covenant

Watch Games With Commentary
scantrell24

JCWamma
dcdennis
Team Covenant

Find Players In Your Area
Meta Contacts

For a list of some of the best cards in the game, take a look at the restricted list found in the FAQ. Here are some of the top non-restricted cards to give you a feel for what each House can do.

Stark: Maester Luwin (FtC), Brienne of Tarth (PotS), Northern Cavalry Flank (SA), Harrenhal (ODG), To Be a Wolf (SB)
Lannister: Cersei Lannister (LotR), Tommen Baratheon (SA), Enslaved (THoBaW), A House Divided (WLL), Cersei's Scheme (TPoL)
Baratheon: Stannis Baratheon (VM), Dale Seaworth (AToTT), The Laughing Storm (GotC), Melisandre's Scheme (RotK)
Martell: Quentyn Martell (VD), Arianne Martell (PotS), The Red Viper (PotS), Ghaston Grey (FtC), Lost Oasis (AToT), Choosing the Spear (AJE)
Targaryen: Jhogo (OSaS), Young Griff (VD), Magister Illyrio (VM), Khal Drogo (Core), Meereen Tourney Grounds (ODG), Flame-Kissed (Core), Incinerate (VM)
Greyjoy: Victarion Greyjoy (RotK), Alannys Greyjoy (ODG), Wintertime Marauders (ACoS), Longship Iron Victory (KotS), To Be a Kraken (SB), Rise of the Kraken (KotS)
Neutral: Carrion Bird (TWoW), Syrio Forel (TftRK), Varys (SaS), Milk of the Poppy (Core), Nightmares (LoW), Desperate Measures (TCC), Condemned by the Council (AToT), Seductive Promise (Core)
Agendas: The Power Behind the Throne (LotR), The Siege of Winterfell (LoW), Knights of the Hollow Hill (MotM), Black Sails (RotK), The Maester's Path (GotC), House of Dreams (ARotD)

Common Rules Misconceptions:

In Thrones, there are no interrupts or "stacks" of effects that are resolved "last in, first out". Once an effect is initiated in this game, it resolves before almost anything else can be triggered (the exceptions are effects that specifically use the words "save" or "cancel").
Also, don't forget that abilities preceded by "Any Phase:", "Challenges:", "Marshalling:", "Response, " etc. are optional, but you do have to remember to trigger them!

Challenge icons are only checked during the declare attackers and declare defender steps of a challenge. If, for example, a character already in a military challenge loses it's military icon during the challenge through a card effect, that character stays in the challenge and counts his strength normally.

Draft Packs:
As of November 2013, FFG introduced special draft packs which allow players to hold draft tournaments. The LCG distribution model previously made drafting impossible. To draft, each player will need a reusable starter pack ($5) and a randomized draft pack ($15). I'm working on adding rules and additional information here, but in the meantime check out this thread.

FFG's Timing:
We don't know exactly when the next chapter pack will be released. It's roughly every month, but occasionally there are slight delays. The F.A.Q. and restricted list are usually updated about 3 times each year during the down-time between tournament seasons (for example, between Store Championship and Regionals, then again after Regionals and before Gen Con).

Previous FAQs were released on 21 July 2014, 15 April 2014, 14 October 2013, 23 July 2013, 27 February 2013, 11 October 2012, 03 August 2012, 20 March 2012, 19 January 2012, 22 September 2011.

Set Rotation:
The Game of Thrones LCG does not currently use set rotation. Every card released since 2008 is legal for tournament play. However, FFG made this announcement in April 2014:

"We are aware that the size of the card pool, the number of products available, and the breadth of the game are growing increasingly problematic for our audience. For some, it is a barrier of entry that is discouraging to new players who are thinking of buying in or trying to get caught up with their collections. For others, it is a matter of increasing complexity and a sense of getting lost in the card pool. We bring this up now to let you, our player base, know that we are aware of these issues and are working toward a long-term solution that ensures the continuation of the A Game of Thrones: The Card Game experience for years to come. More information on this topic will be presented in November, at the 2014 FFG World Championship Weekend."

• WWDrakey, Ratatoskr, ruvion and 24 others like this

erocklawell

erocklawell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
+1 awesome idea

dcdennis

dcdennis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
see, now you're doing something useful :)

accountdeleted

accountdeleted

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
lol

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
Shadows, Joust, Melee, and Naval Enhancments are all present in the last 2 pages of the FAQ (where the old "insert" has now been placed).

One of the top questions I see usually revolves around "what do I buy first?". How should we go about answering that? I'd recommend 2x Core Sets, the deluxe expansions, then an entire cycle at a time starting with the most recent, but I also want to stress that some packs are definitely better than others. A few older ones are essential, but most of them are garbage with rare exceptions (like Tommen and Northern Cavalry Flank in the Scattered Armies pack).

I agree with the recommendation for a second core set, and then the deluxe expansions (or at least the deluxe expansion for the house you like best). I've stayed away from recommending chapter pack cycles in general (although they should be recommended as cycles and not packs), since normally if they've played a few games and started to use the deckbuilders/octgn, they get a feel for the cards they want. That said, if someone is splitting cards with a playgroup, I typically recommend Tourney/Narrow Sea type packs that have a lot of house-specific cards, as opposed to Maesters/Defenders that have a lot of neutrals they would fight over.

Playing Online (I'll need some help here)
OCTGN Installation Guide

I'll write something up and make a tutorial video.
  • scantrell24 likes this

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1,853 posts

Shadows, Joust, Melee, and Naval Enhancments are all present in the last 2 pages of the FAQ (where the old "insert" has now been placed).

Ah yes, thanks for pointing that out.

I agree with the recommendation for a second core set, and then the deluxe expansions (or at least the deluxe expansion for the house you like best). I've stayed away from recommending chapter pack cycles in general (although they should be recommended as cycles and not packs), since normally if they've played a few games and started to use the deckbuilders/octgn, they get a feel for the cards they want. That said, if someone is splitting cards with a playgroup, I typically recommend Tourney/Narrow Sea type packs that have a lot of house-specific cards, as opposed to Maesters/Defenders that have a lot of neutrals they would fight over.

Good points. I'll make sure to recommend playing on OCTGN to get a feel for cards first, and to give differing answers depending on whether the purchases are for an individual or a group. Does anyone have links to the First Tilt articles? Are they still relevant?

I'll write something up and make a tutorial video.

That would be awesome. We need a walk through for installing OCTGN itself, installing the Thrones stuff, and how to actually play (how to put cards facedown and how to peek at cards get asked often).

biggs369

biggs369

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
This is a great idea!

As a relatively new player myself, i found the First Tilt articles to be very helpful.

www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/the-first-tilt-which-house-is-for-you-baratheon
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-expanding-house-baratheon-r212
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-deck-archetypes-baratheon-r303

www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/the-first-tilt-which-house-is-for-you-greyjoy
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-expanding-house-greyjoy-r182
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-deck-archetypes-greyjoy-r309

www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/the-first-tilt-which-house-is-for-you-lannister
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-expanding-house-lannister-r202
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-deck-archetypes-lannister-r327

www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-which-house-is-for-you-martell-p-r120
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-expanding-house-martell-r194
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-deck-archetypes-martell-r292

www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/the-first-tilt-which-house-is-for-you-stark-r84
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-expanding-house-stark-r175
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-deck-archetypes-stark-r274

www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/the-first-tilt-which-house-is-for-you-targar-r103
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-expanding-house-targaryen-r187
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-deck-archetypes-targaryen-r267

www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-new-player-faq-r257
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-what-the-faq-means-for-new-players-r503
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-deckbuilding-concepts-r369
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-character-matters-r411
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-building-your-house-plot-deck-r230
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-opening-plots-and-plot-combos-r242
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-plot-strategies-r221
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-resets-r237
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-common-mistakes-r440
www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thrones/first-tilt-common-mistakes-part-2-r496

Also, this deck building article is good stuff:
elitistjerks.com/blogs/122150-emptyrepublic/566-building_game_thrones_lcg_deck/

SerMisu

SerMisu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
I think this thread should be pinned, for easier acces...

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1,853 posts

As a relatively new player myself, i found the First Tilt articles to be very helpful.

Thanks for posting those links! I'll add them.

Also, this deck building article is good stuff:
elitistjerks.com/blogs/122150-emptyrepublic/566-building_game_thrones_lcg_deck/

That site wanted me to register to see the post. Is it viewable any other way?

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
I'm having a few issues recording the tutorial, most of which I think I can solve with a slightly less awful microphone. I'll still do this, but it'll probably have to wait two weeks until the move when I can justify buying things again without taking up precious U-Haul space.

biggs369

biggs369

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

That site wanted me to register to see the post. Is it viewable any other way?

Weird. You're right, but i didn't have to last time i checked. The author was emptyrepublic as far as i recall, maybe he has it saved somewhere.

There is an OCTGN 'how to' here. It's slightly outdated, but it still worked for me.

Also, another few helpful articles i forgot in the last post:
http://www.cardgamed...lding-for-melee
http://www.cardgamed...building-a-r752
http://www.cardgamed...trigger-on-r184

agktmte

agktmte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

I'm having a few issues recording the tutorial, most of which I think I can solve with a slightly less awful microphone. I'll still do this, but it'll probably have to wait two weeks until the move when I can justify buying things again without taking up precious U-Haul space.

If you record the video and write out a voice over script someone else can record the audio for it. Yes, I will volunteer myself for that aspect if no one else would rather do it. This might make it happen sooner and then you won't have to buy anything extra.

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1,853 posts
Added some things, but this is still a work in progress. I'll get more up tomorrow. Thanks for the help so far.

Are there any other streams/channels with recorded games?

JCWamma

JCWamma

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1,678 posts
I've got my own one (www.twitch.tv/jcwamma), but while I can stream videos fine, I'm not the most savvy and don't know how to save them. If someone could tell me that then there'll be a resource there too.

I'll try to compile the Rise of the Kraken articles into an easy list to add to this, so any budding Greyjoy player can learn their trade ;).

agktmte

agktmte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
If anyone has saved videos (of live games or octgn games) it could be good to see if someone else (Staton maybe?) wants to go through them with commentary to explain what's going on. Perhaps we could even use some games to make tutorial videos if they don't involve anything too complex during the game.

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1,853 posts

If anyone has saved videos (of live games or octgn games) it could be good to see if someone else (Staton maybe?) wants to go through them with commentary to explain what's going on. Perhaps we could even use some games to make tutorial videos if they don't involve anything too complex during the game.

I'd also like to know how to record and save video of my OCTGN games.

JRoel

JRoel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
I just got that all set up to stream and record my own games, it's quite easy actually. I downloaded OBS (http://obsproject.com/), and have used it a couple times to stream on twitch. You can also use it to save recorded matches to your computer. Twitch actually has a quide specifically for obs, in addition to guides for a number of other broadcasting software: http://help.twitch.t...caster-software

slothgodfather

slothgodfather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,269 posts
/vote to get stickied.

biggs369

biggs369

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Maybe this could replace - and include a link to - the stickied thread with the balanced decks made from 2 x core sets?

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1,853 posts
I added a link to the 2x core set deck thread. There are still a few more tweaks pending but it's just about done. A sticky would be great!