Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Silver Twilight "Core" Deck

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

vigilare

vigilare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Does anyone have some ideas as to what would be a good "core" deck equivalent for Silver Twilight?

This would be the 20-odd cards that could be combined with another faction from the core deck and some neutral cards to get a quick play deck.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts
You know, I'm surprised that I haven't seen this asked before :)

Here's a quick crack at it trying to keep roughly the same character as the Core sets, although of course there are a lot of ways you could go with it...

Characters:
Failed Initiate
Young Initiate
Disgruntled Chef
Silver Twilight Collector
Recruiter for the Lodge
Devious Architect
Lodge Housekeeper
Lodge Librarian
Lord Jeffrey Farrington
Silver Twilight Enforcer
High Wizard of the Order
Mayor Atkinson

Events:
Brazier Enchantment
Unbound
You Know Too Much
Pose Mundane
Steal the Soul

Supports:
Ritual of the Construct
Sigil of the Order
The Oubliettes

vigilare

vigilare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I will give that a try. Thanks!

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts
Ah! Someone asked about that before almost a year ago. This is the list I came up with:

Character
Clifton Rosenberg (TOotST) x1
Mayor Atkinson (TOotST) x1
High Wizard of the Order (TOotST) x1
Senator Nathaniel Rhodes (TOotST) x1
Young Initiate (TOotST) x1
Failed Initiate (TOotST) x1
Disgruntled Chef (TOotST) x1
Recruiter for the Lodge (TOotST) x1
Silver Twilight Collector (TOotST) x1
Knight of the Outer Void (TOotST) x1
Lord Jeffrey Farrington (TOotST) x1
Lodge Housekeeper (TOotST) x1

Support
Sigil of the Order (TOotST) x1
Key to the Inner Sanctum (TOotST) x1
Silver Twilight Lodge (TOotST) x1

Event
Steal the Soul (TOotST) x1
Initiation (TOotST) x1
Unbound! (TOotST) x1
You Know Too Much (TOotST) x1
Fine Dining (TOotST) x1

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts
I'm not sure about including Key to the Inner Sanctum without also including at least one Ritual. Seems like a bit of a trap for an unsuspecting new player to trigger it and have no hope of the search finding anything.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts
I see you point. I decided against rituals since I feel they don't really work in a highlander deck. Also, I was mostly worried about using a cost curve that was identical to the core set factions and felt that Key to the Inner Sanctum is still useful. I've only got to play it once, so far, so I'm fairly sure it could be improved.
Anyway, Vigilare now has two options to choose from as a starting point - and I would love to hear how the decks using the Lodge as a core faction worked! :)

vigilare

vigilare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I tried dboeren's deck. I mixed it with Cthulhu and my opponent had Miskatonic/Agency with the usual splitting of the core deck cards.

I always find all the investigators in Miskatonic pesky things. The Silver Twilight Enforcer (TOotST), along with Lord Jeffrey Farrington (TOotST) with an attached Sword of Y'ha-tallo (Core) was a fun combination. I will have to give it another go.
  • Jhaelen likes this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts
Once you've had a couple goes with them, let us know if you think the power level seems about right vs. the other factions.

Saint7x

Saint7x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
Hey dboeren,

I was recently on the official FFG forums asking about Silver Twilight. I didn't really understand why they were so good much less justify a brand new expansion. Yipe was kind enough to reply. I'll try your recipe for this Silver Twilight deck and see how things fare.

Thanks!
  • Midian likes this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts
They're just a new faction, neither better nor worse than the existing ones - but they do have their own play style which I like a lot. On the surface, "return to hand" is their signature mechanic but they also tend to have a lot of icon manipulation and a more combo-oriented play style than other factions. I haven't really done it yet, but they've also got some neat mechanics that run off of keeping your hand totally empty - gotta build a deck to try that out someday too :)

blinovitch

blinovitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

I haven't really done it yet, but they've also got some neat mechanics that run off of keeping your hand totally empty - gotta build a deck to try that out someday too :)

I've wondered exactly how one takes advantage of those empty hand effects. Have you ever seen a deck in design or action that capitalized on that element of the faction?

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

I was recently on the official FFG forums asking about Silver Twilight. I didn't really understand why they were so good much less justify a brand new expansion. Yipe was kind enough to reply. I'll try your recipe for this Silver Twilight deck and see how things fare.

Saint7x,

I didn't mean to imply that the SIlver Twilight is a superior faction to the other 7, that's not true. I did want to demonstrate how they can win games, as well as detail some of their hallmark strategies. For a long time they were underpowered simply because they had a lower total card count, but lately things have been changing in their favor and I feel the ST is on close to equal footing.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

I've wondered exactly how one takes advantage of those empty hand effects. Have you ever seen a deck in design or action that capitalized on that element of the faction?

I have played against one, once. I wasn't overly impressed, though, since I won the game against it ;)
The next time I played against the same player, he had changed the deck already, adding Shub and playing the more common bouncing game.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

I haven't seen one yet, although I must also admit that I haven't specifically gone looking for one. On a couple of occasions I've had the bonus clause kick in on Pass Grip of a Master (ER) though and it can be pretty handy. So, it's something that's been on my list to experiment with sometime - to put in more of the "empty hand" or "opponent has more cards than you" cards and see what I can make out of it. I doubt we're going to be discovering next year's Worlds dominator here but I should learn some new tricks and get to play something interesting and a bit off the common path.

Mainly I think you need to keep your cards fairly cheap and you will want something that lets you discard if you need to to maintain an empty hand. Once I've had a chance to build something and try it out I'll post a listing and some impressions.