Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

6th Deluxe Expansion - Denizens of the Underworld [+ some news]

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
So my store's distributor did not for some unknown reason receive shipment so I won't be picking up Denizens 'til next week, hopefully tomorrow! It really seems odd that Danny O'Bannion was not included in the Syndicate faction box?! The image on O'Bannion's Inner Council seems to indicate perhaps that he may be the boss in charge of the red accessorized conspirators pictured in the Congress of the Keys story card? Could Danny O' be the 'Keymaster'?! Is there an insert in Denizens with a story fragment that gives us clues? What about flavor text? I've seen some flavor text quoting or referencing Danny O'Bannion in some way. I'm hoping the designers have something special planned for him to not include 'The Boss' in Denizens!

Ahhh, I see the card spoilers are up! :D

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
after looking at the spoils and images Zstylzhemgni doesn't seem flashy but he is actually pretty dang good. The main problem is the 6 cost, but basically he will be unopposed attacker and a very hard guy to attack through.

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
But... It's wounding- Lucas Tetlow don't give a damn about Zhsbrhenakenfhetqgaksjdbd. He doesn't have arcane, unlike most AOs. Zhcgrisnrjrnshrlyndnabdjdndbshs is in all likelihood the very worst AO in the game. A great looking set, but... this card sucks.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

But... It's wounding- Lucas Tetlow don't give a damn about Zhsbrhenakenfhetqgaksjdbd. He doesn't have arcane, unlike most AOs. Zhcgrisnrjrnshrlyndnabdjdndbshs is in all likelihood the very worst AO in the game. A great looking set, but... this card sucks.

Exactly, I'm not spending 6 on an AO without arcane and/or invulnerability.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
yea be better if had like destroyed all other characters not wound.

WasteMaLife

WasteMaLife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Posted Image

!!!!!!!

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
I agree, at cost 4 this is a good card, as 6 it's likely a dust gatherer. Use other ways to dispense of Invulnerable characters and 'Z' takes care of the rest.

Yeah, Hoarding Knowledge is lame. If it got resourced it would maybe see play but as is it's junk. I think the designers are getting really gun shy with the acceleration!

Fantastic art for those cards though! :D

after looking at the spoils and images Zstylzhemgni doesn't seem flashy but he is actually pretty dang good. The main problem is the 6 cost, but basically he will be unopposed attacker and a very hard guy to attack through.

WasteMaLife

WasteMaLife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
I think your massively under rating that card. "blinking" form Domains is a very rare effect. Twilight Gate being the only really viable version besides some very heavy neutral decks running zoogs.

This card ...

1) Clears Fated (Not sure the timing issue on fated.. might need to clear before the final fated token.. Is fated a forced response?)
2) Clears Wounds
3) Allows careless resourcing as any resource can be gotten back to play later in the game
4) Clears blanking and other attachments.
5) Using in conjunction with mind control you can steal a card and them add it as a resource to your own domain
6) Going into a domain is a "moving out of play" and can trigger things like Dreamland Fanatic.
7) ???? - I'm sure combo freaks like Arkham and Wilbur might know of more

This is a strong card, I think the restriction to mono twilight domains is a major weight on it though.. but still. In a game of tricks and counters.. this card is not bad at all.

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

I think your massively under rating that card. "blinking" form Domains is a very rare effect. Twilight Gate being the only really viable version besides some very heavy neutral decks running zoogs.

This card ...

1) Clears Fated (Not sure the timing issue on fated.. might need to clear before the final fated token.. Is fated a forced response?)
2) Clears Wounds
3) Allows careless resourcing as any resource can be gotten back to play later in the game
4) Clears blanking and other attachments.
5) Using in conjunction with mind control you can steal a card and them add it as a resource to your own domain
6) Going into a domain is a "moving out of play" and can trigger things like Dreamland Fanatic.
7) ???? - I'm sure combo freaks like Arkham and Wilbur might know of more

This is a strong card, I think the restriction to mono twilight domains is a major weight on it though.. but still. In a game of tricks and counters.. this card is not bad at all.

Unfortunately the card going into resources comes from the hand and is not the Character being exhausted, and the one coming out goes into the hand and not into play. OOPS !! Haha. Don't worry. We all get excited about cards and then actually read them and I've definitely done this myself on occasion.

At the moment this card is poo, and I'm not sure why they'd give a 'mono' card to a Faction that isn't mono ready yet. With time though it 'might' be useful but the only use I can see so far is using a Loyal Domain to play Knight of the Eclipse (in a dual Faction deck) and then change the Domain into a multi-Faction Resource one.

I suppose you could use it as a way of 'tool-boxing' cards like Arcane Tampering, Lodge Meeting and Necessary Evil etc for instance 'responses' to certain situations, but again I don't think ST is really ready for the big step into independence.
  • WasteMaLife likes this

WasteMaLife

WasteMaLife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Going into the hand isn't a problem... but oh ****.. your right!.. dang! for the rest of it.

Kwakkie

Kwakkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

I use binders for mine here too. It's so much easier to browse through the cards looking for ideas, and I just don't get the same feeling using an online deck builder - although those are very handy for their search ability.

Got my set late last night and was up until 1:30am redoing my binders. Cards look great, both in artwork and in abilities! Game night's on Tuesday so I've got until then to make up a new deck to try out, plus I need to make up some for other factions to use as loaner decks too.

I think you need to sort them differently. I sort them by faction, then type, then cost. Don't do anything alphabetically. Thing is: I start a new page at a new cost, no matter how many are in the last page. So I don't have to move anything. I can just add the new expansion at the end of the pages.

WasteMaLife

WasteMaLife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
I sort them by card number... that way everything is in the exact spot you think it will be and you do not need to resort your entire collection every time you add new cards. Also with power creep and all you can see the newer cards in a single group.. this is also good for modding older decks.

Still I prefer to use a deck editer.. Zorbec's is by far the best I have seen.

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
I also sort them by card number, which is easy for me because I tend to do all deckbuilding on the computer.

What do you all think about the new Tactic cards? My Cthulhu deck would love Calculated Mutation (DotU). I have found myself wanting more Investigation icons lately, especially when playing against MU rush decks.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
WOOO my copy arrived!

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I think you need to sort them differently. I sort them by faction, then type, then cost. Don't do anything alphabetically. Thing is: I start a new page at a new cost, no matter how many are in the last page. So I don't have to move anything. I can just add the new expansion at the end of the pages.

I sort by faction, then type, then cost, then alphabetically.

If I started a new page for each expansion, then those cards wouldn't be sorted by type or cost with the existing cards. Am I missing something?

Oh wait, I see what you mean by "at a new cost". The first time I thought it was an odd typo or spell correction for "at any cost", but you break to a new page for each card type and for each cost. Yes, that works if you give up alphabetical. There's a bit more searching to find a specific card and you waste some pages, but I see what you're saying now. I may try that when the next box comes out. If I end up not liking it I can go back to my current system.

Kwakkie

Kwakkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I think searching works fine. If you know the faction, type and cost of a card, it's not that hard to find them. But I guess everyone needs to discover their own way of sorting. Oh, I do put 5+ costs on the same page. Not that many of them in most factions.

Man

Man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I liked this expansion when it was released because I did not expect anything from it and my expectations were not ruined as it sometimes happens. :). Anyway, when I'm thinking about this expansion now, I come to conclusion that it could be better. I don't know what I'm waiting for - everything looks nice, I especially liked Immurement (DotU) - very flavorful and useful card. But still... Probably they could make more reprints - I remember that at that time when CoC was a CCG there was a card named Tommy Gun - it could fit this expansion. Also, I think that cards for other factions are not that great. Hali's Directive (DotU) is good but can't be compared with N'yog-Sothep (SoK). Josef Meiger (DotU) is good but Carl Stanford (SoK) was better. That's the problem. Seekers of Knowledge was that good that in comparison with it other Deluxe sets look ... good, but not excellent. I would rate Denizens of the Underworld as 8.5 from 10.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
I think its a great expansion because gives a lot of options but non that are over powered. With making faction boxes you have to be careful because you don't want everyone to only be playing with the 3 factions that got boxes because the new cards got over powered. It just gives solid good options and that is what i want so I love it. But an 8.5 out of 10 pretty dang good.