Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Bastard's Boys and Claim Increase

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

14Shirt

14Shirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts
Howdy. I asked this over on the card page itself but I'm thinking nobody saw it over there, so bringing it here . . .

I need to ask a (possibly dumb) question about the "to a maximum of 3" claim limit on
The Bastard's Boys (ARotD).
Is this a hard limit regardless of whatever other cards are played, or only as it applies to this card? For example, if I'm playing
Focused Offense (QoD)
as my plot (3 claim), this card obviously cannot raise it above that. But if, for example, I'm playing any 2-claim plot and use this card to raise the claim to 3 (which doesn't break any rules on the card itself), does the text here prohibit me from raising it yet again with, for example,
Winter is Coming (Core)
?

JCWamma

JCWamma

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2033 posts
It is indeed a hard limit. Regardless of what your claim would be, The Bastard's Boys' effect restricts it to a maximum of 3 with a lasting effect for the duration of the challenge. So sometimes it's better not to trigger it!

14Shirt

14Shirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts
Good to know. Thanks!

Grambo

Grambo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I had interpreted the parentheses to mean that the 3 claim limit only applies to the BB's ability. This is very disappointing.

14Shirt

14Shirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

I had interpreted the parentheses to mean that the 3 claim limit only applies to the BB's ability. This is very disappointing.

Yup. Chalk it up to one of those horrible rule realizations that dashes your hopes of an epic play.

Bomb

Bomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2588 posts
It is very disappointing to pull off a 3 claim challenge.

Without this limit, the claim raising can get out of hand just for attacking with Bastard's Boys and re-standing them. It's one of the easier repeatable claim raises in the game.

14Shirt

14Shirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

It is very disappointing to pull off a 3 claim challenge.

Without this limit, the claim raising can get out of hand just for attacking with Bastard's Boys and re-standing them. It's one of the easier repeatable claim raises in the game.

Well . . .sure, but haven't you ever hoped of making like a 10 claim challenge, good for the game or not? ;)

slothgodfather

slothgodfather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2951 posts

Well . . .sure, but haven't you ever hoped of making like a 10 claim challenge, good for the game or not? ;)

I think we found, in the challenge thread, that it is entirely possible - though astronomically improbable, to get a really high claim.

Grambo

Grambo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, my dreams of mil with b.boys, standing with swamps of the neck then pow with Littlefinger navalling in Victarion on naval superiority turn then playing winter is coming and triggering winterfell are over.

slothgodfather

slothgodfather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2951 posts
A quick glance says use Burned Men x3 + Ill-Begotten Spoils x3 = +6 claim.

To get into the realm of ridiculous, add Rorge and The Stormlands for another +2 (on power challenges). Depending on how much gold and kneeling effects you have, the gold/claim raise Viper could add more.

Khudzlin

Khudzlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
Just wait for the X claim plot to start from 5 or 6.