Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Research and Destroy

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
FYI, my friends deck with x3 Flux went 1-1 against this build at worlds. I also had Flux x3 and I lost to it just from Khopesh wiping my board.

konx

konx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

So . . .that's it then? No discussion. No interpretation? Just "it's tested, it perfect, don't touch it"? Whoa, that's an impressive set of brass-balls you've go there. After 20 years of competitive CCG/TCG/LCG playing, I don't think I've ever heard that sort of confidence . . .

Apparently I have no problem with my English when I talk about physics, but when I talk about CoC no one can understand me.

Quoting my self:

before you make any change (except the ones suggested in the OP), play a consistent number of games, because again, all the quantities where thoroughly evaluated and tried before the tournament.

The key word here is _before_.

For what is worth, I also have some experience with other card games and when approaching a list, especially one that has proven strong, this is exactly what I do: BEFORE modifying it, I try it as it is, to try and figure out WHY the guy who build it/played it chose those cards and quantities.

AFTER I get what it seems like a good grasp on the deck, I modify it according to my taste.

Of course, this is MY WAY OF DOING THINGS, so if you want to take the deck and change 45 out of 50 cards of it, you are OBVIOUSLY free to do it, and I challenge you in showing me where I WROTE THE CONTRARY (like I had any chance to stop you from doing so, BTW, LOL).

On the other hand, if you change 45 out of 50 cards (disclaimer: I am clearly exaggerating with this example) then it seems pointless to complain about the deck not working, I think.

And again, I stop my conversation here and I start another few months of forum-silence.

ciao

Konx

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
Can one of you rules gurus explain to me the order things are supposed to go in and why when you have a naaginn equipped with a khopesh that has an artifact of the lost cities attached? Similar what happens if the character is the overworked grad student instead of naaginn?

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

1) Dr. Laban Shrewsbury? As much draw as there is, he seems like an auto include (although I'm not sure where to fit him in).
2) Elijah Conrad. This guys LOVES Flooded Vault and Temple of Rlyeh. Does he find a slot?
3) Timing question (and yes, I'm trying to figure it out based on the FAQ)
I have a College Prospect with a Khopesh and a Artifact of the Lost City attached. He commits seppeku. What's the correct sequence of timing?
College Prospect: Forced Response-Draw 2 cards.
Khopesh: Static effect to shuffle.
Artifact: Response-Draw 3 cards

So if I've got my lawyer-hat on, it goes:

• Prospect dies. All three cards enter the discard pile at the same time.
  • Passive Abilities (Khopesh is shuffled in)
  • Forced Responses (Draw 2 from College Prospect)
  • Responses (Draw 3 drom Artifact)

Right?

1) I have 1 copy in my version of Graham's deck, more as an insurance against long games in which a Y'golonac may have surfaced.
2) Possibly, but also a bit expensive for the curve. I think if you have multiple copies of Temple and Vault it would be better than having this and fewer copies, but I might include one.
3) That looks right in terms of timing.
  • HomerJ likes this

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
Update: I just wanted to say that I was able to take down R&D twice in the top 4 at the store championship in Louisville this past weekend with my homebrew deck designed to take out the deck. It was not easy and R&D is explosive enough to just win anyways sometimes but I was able to hold it off in back to back nail biters against the same deck piloted by guys from grahams Ohio testing crew. If people are interested in the list I'll post it in the decks section.
  • badash56 and HomerJ like this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Update: I just wanted to say that I was able to take down R&D twice in the top 4 at the store championship in Louisville this past weekend with my homebrew deck designed to take out the deck. It was not easy and R&D is explosive enough to just win anyways sometimes but I was able to hold it off in back to back nail biters against the same deck piloted by guys from grahams Ohio testing crew. If people are interested in the list I'll post it in the decks section.

~Make sure to include the statistical analysis of your deck... ;)

I'm interested, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

HomerJ

HomerJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I'm interested . . . .VERY interested . . . .

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
Congrats kamacausey on well deserved victories! The Syndicate box has offered some very nice solutions against the R&D deck! With no new faq it would seem R&D and Y-Train are yet untouched! It's good to know that some viable answers now exist in the card pool! I'd be curious if the rest of the field threatened you because of your deck focus of anti-R&D? Basically, how strong was the rest of the field?

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
Statistical Analysis=Player Intuition Lol! I know that doesn't sound very good but I am not a mathematician so I can't break down why I chose what I chose into numbers. All I can do is explain why I chose what I chose. Brandon didn't seem to think my deck ever had a chance...and seeing as how he gets to play more than I do and consistently places high in the nationals and worlds tournaments he may very well be correct. After our match he said he resourced incorrectly and it cost him, but I also think he underestimated what my deck could do to his and he paid for it as well. Playing a dark horse deck in a tournament has its advantages, especially when they are 1 game matches.

Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
RnD didnt provide much analyzis IMO, autor just said he's done it
a pity, i'd gladly learn some new math usefull for theorycrafting in card games

So far RnD dint dominate that many events, and Y-train seems more destructive but also beatable
i wonder what FFg does, i think waiting some time before any ban errata was a right move here after all

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
Crush the Yithians, FFG. Talk to me after Store Champs or (please, no!) Regionals if you think I'm crazy.

'Crush' being an exaggeration. Exercise your characteristic restraint (Sewer Rats notwithstanding).