Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Just bought 2 core

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
Today there was 2 core sets for cheapest I have seen since been interested in getting into game so I picked up the only 2. Sooooo what i need is someone to give me CoC 101 (: I wanna know the basic fraction breakdowns and deck building guildlines (tips not requirements) I just want help getting caught up in knowledge
  • Jhaelen likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Hey man, glad you found some core sets!

FFG just posted a great set of articles a few weeks ago:
http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4454
http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4455

They provide a good introduction on faction strengths, mechanics, and how to get deeper into the game.

I know that there are other articles written by dboeren and others that also provide a good primer. Perhaps they can provide links.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
yea hopefully like the game and then I can almost increase worlds attendance by 10% next year (:

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Nice, did you see the recent articles FFG put up on their site? It has a pretty good breakdown.

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4454

and

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4455

Also, from here:

http://www.cardgamed...new-players-r64
http://www.cardgamed...-–-basic-i-r777

And the entire Pacta Arcana series, here is the first: http://www.cardgamed...cta-arcana-r566

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
another question before read all this (thanks!) I'm really curious how fast games are, I watched worlds video and it seemed pretty quick,as in turns, so does most decks not even play like 5 cost guys since won't ever pay for them?

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
It depends - in tournament play the game is pretty fast right now. If you played in a tournament today you probably aren't going to see domains with 5 on them.

I wouldn't worry about that for now though. Learn the rules and by the time next season rolls around it could be slow again. :)

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
also need to work on getting people to play online (: because probably will only play with brother for time being with the core and will want more people to play with ha.

orso

orso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
It depends on where you are playing. Casual play is a bit different to tournament play I think.
Tournaments are faster for sure. So if you have nothing to reduce the costs or bring a 5cost guy into play by card effects, you will almost never see someone paying for it with 5 ressources domain.

looks like badash answered faster than me ;)

Edited by orso, 20 November 2013 - 08:27 PM.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
yea was curious from tournament stand point when playing with the core bet can be fine with slower game but with the lcg I plan on doing tournaments too like I do with the other games so I want to understand tournament play as well.

wildefox

wildefox

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Cthulhu is very thematic, especially in casual play. In my experience this means that people are more inclined to play what they like as opposed to what is considered tournament level good. Since usually everyone at my local game shop is playing that way, it means that fun decks tend not to get crushed quite as hard as they do when we go a couple tables down to play Game of Thrones. Sure, people will say that Agency is a little weak right now or that Deep Ones aren't the strongest build for Cthulhu, but you still see a lot of both because people think they are cool.

The great thing about playing with your own group of friends, especially when you are the one who owns all the cards, is that your personal meta tends to shift even more in this direction. Even if you own all three copies of every card in the game, you can't all play the Y-Train because you simply don't physically have 12 copies of Interstellar Migration (TkatG). So you're going to see a lot more variety in factions at your private table than you would at a tournament. Which is a lot of fun. I know that in my own group we all love getting out those big guns, whether it's the T-Men (Core) or ol' Cthulhu (TWB) himself. Since everyone is doing it, it isn't a liability.

In short, playing with a small group of people who all share cards is a very different dynamic than competing in a tournament. While it is good to know what different factions are best at so you can play them well (and win!), getting focused on what is dominating championships right now is probably not the best thing for starting out.
  • Yipe likes this

orso

orso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
The best way to experience is play, play, play. :)

I would suggest to vary the number of characters, events and supports in your decks to get a feeling for it.
As I started the game, I often put too much events into my decks ...

Another suggestion: Try to build decks with different strategies, like: skill variation, exhausting characters, destroying opponents characters, controlling the board , denying opponents effects, attacking handcards, rush deck,...
It could help you finding out which cards (and their strenghts and weaknesses) you like/prefer for the different strategies.
And if you think about possible answers to the different strategies you might already know some because you encauntered them during prior matches where they stopped you?!... ;)

But the most important thing is: Have fun and try to play all your inspirations.
Afterwards you know if it works or not! :)
  • Yipe likes this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
For starting out I generally recommend something like 30 characters and more Events than Supports. Don't worry about Conspiracies for the moment until you get the hang of the basics. Take a look here:
http://www.boardgame...for-new-players

And I also have a couple old articles with examples of building beginner decks:
http://www.boardgame...ple-1-hasturyog
http://www.boardgame...e-2-cthulhumisk
http://www.boardgame...e-3-agencysyndi

For a "good" deck your characters will generally follow a cost curve. The economic system in this game is very different from money-based games where one huge guy costs the same as 2-3 small guys. Instead, your ability to pay for things ramps up over time and you cannot combine your domains to pay for big cards. So, a typical deck may have a small number of cost 1 guys, bigger numbers of cost 2, maybe a few less 3's, and so on with lower numbers of the more expensive characters. There may or may not be any 5+ characters in the deck, and some decks may not even have any 4's. Then again, it all depends on the deck type and some factions have ways to build domains faster, get discounts, or put cards into play in special ways.

If you want to play bigger guys, then that will change your resourcing. For instance, on turn 2 you're more likely to go 3-1-1 than 2-2-1. So say that on turn 3 you plan to go 4-1-1 and start playing big dudes. How does this impact your deck? You're probably going to have more 3 and 4 cost cards to make sure you can leverage your bigger domain, but you might downgrade some of your 2's into 1's so that you can play them off the remaining small domains for instance. Or, you might look for ways to discount them or pick characters that can enter play in different ways for free or as a "pay 1" effect, even if they aren't permanent. Still, a "pay 1" character that comes back to your hand might be enough to hold your opponent in check long enough for your big guys to start coming out...

One of the best things about the game is that deck building is much more open than other LCG's because there is a large card pool and it's easy to mix different factions without artificial limits being placed on you. So, you can be creative and people build all sorts of different decks. Don't get swayed too much by the recent forum talk about this top deck or that top deck. If you're content to just get into the top 4-8 at Gencon or Worlds you can probably play almost any faction combination provided that you've worked on building and tuning a good deck and your playing skills. At a local level, just about anything goes and there just isn't as much of a tournament meta for the game as there is for say Thrones.
  • Yipe and mnBroncos like this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
Since getting two cores for first few games do you guys still recommend combing two core set factions together with th neutrals so basically using one core or combine the two of the same faction together from both cores and use just one faction to start?

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
If I correctly understand what your're asking, I would still play a dual-faction deck, but use cards from both Core sets (without as many neutrals) to make a stronger, more predictable deck.

By doubling up on low-cost characters and events to even out your resource curve, you should be able to increase each deck's tempo and effectiveness.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

If I correctly understand what your're asking, I would still play a dual-faction deck, but use cards from both Core sets (without as many neutrals) to make a stronger, more predictable deck.

By doubling up on low-cost characters and events to even out your resource curve, you should be able to increase each deck's tempo and effectiveness.

Thanks. Yea you understood right ha on kindle so harder to type

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
Wow so been reading core rule online. You can basically play any zero cost card in the game in any deck!? That seems very interesting. Figured it would be like star wars resource match.

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
For your first few games I would combine a Mythos and Investigator faction so each player has access to all of the icons. After you're comfortable with the mechanics, you and your brother can gravitate to whichever faction suits your individual tastes.

You may also consider taking out Ravager from the Deep (Core) and perhaps Shotgun (Core), at least to start. The Ravager especially can slow the game down when you're only playing with cards from the Core set.

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Wow so been reading core rule online. You can basically play any zero cost card in the game in any deck!? That seems very interesting. Figured it would be like star wars resource match.

Check page 12 for the Steadfast rules. Many (but not all) 0-cost cards have mini icons in the upper left-hand corner (between the card's cost and it's title). You need to have a similar amount of matching resources spread somewhere across your 3 domains in order to play this type of card.

Here's a link where I explain it in detail:

http://community.fan...layer-question/

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
ah yea I did read that part if most 0 cost cards have that rule that makes a lot more sense lol. After reading the core book I am very excited to get into this game and I know will be my 2nd favorite game. (I am to much in love with thrones as theme and game to have that get replaced) they have enough similarities that I know will understand and enjoy gameplay but different enough to want to play both.

Since probably going to want every card eventually, which cycles are only x2 of cards so I don't buy those ones yet and waste money.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
Nevermind figured it out so about 400 bucks to get x3 of all the cards that are out woo so all of CoC or a xbox1 tough choices lol ugh love these card games but I am crazy lol I am going to wait tell play with the core set for sure but long term that investment be worth it as long as the game doesn't die right after I get into it which am little worried about with how bad numbers were at worlds.