Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Just bought 2 core

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

wildefox

wildefox

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I believe that the only 2x currently still in print is the Secrets of Arkham deluxe box.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
thats okay that one is out of print so the only ones available right now have to spend to much for so be waiting for the one for sure.

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

thats okay that one is out of print so the only ones available right now have to spend to much for so be waiting for the one for sure.

You can still find the Secrets of Arkham at various online stores if you want to get it sooner. There's been speculation that FFG is going to reprint it in the x3 format to fall in line with all of the other deluxe expansions, but that's just speculation.

For a breakdown of the various expansions and Asylum Pack cycles, try this thread:

http://community.fan...or-a-breakdown/

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
i'll wait tell the release i don't think ffg would not reprint with only 2 again since what they did with thrones old packs reprints. Unless that is like best expansion

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
A common misconception is that you need the entire card pool to make a solid deck. I don't think that is the case at all. I'd see what factions you like the most, then worry about piecing together a card pool. You won't be able to buy the entire pool anyway since a few are out of print. :)
  • Wilbur likes this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
Yea understand and I am trying to resist the urge to buy the card pool just with card games my favorite part is deck building and having all the options available is so nice. I also usually don't stick to one play style so I will play with all the factions

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

After reading the core book I am very excited to get into this game and I know will be my 2nd favorite game. (I am to much in love with thrones as theme and game to have that get replaced) they have enough similarities that I know will understand and enjoy gameplay but different enough to want to play both.

I like AGoT a lot as well, though Cthulhu is my first love. While they are similar in some regards, one big difference is the flexibility in deck building with CoC.

In AGoT I find my deck is always focused on a specific House, whereas in CoC you can smash together any combination of factions (3-4 is actually playable) and see what happens. I realize that within each House there are tons of variations, but I've found it to be variations based on a particular set of strengths dictated by whichever House you've chosen. Cthulhu allows you to take a niche subset of 2 factions with completely different playing styles, find some obscure card interaction, and make them work in unexpected ways. When you're able to pull off a combo that you're opponent has never seen before and didn't know was coming based on the cards in play, that's just good fun.

I also agree with badash56 that you don't need the entire card pool to make great CoC decks. In fact, when you're first starting out it can be a detriment. Experimenting with what you have, as opposed to just playing with all of the well-established "best cards" may help you come up with your own innovations.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
So with the factions what are there strategys in term of what houses are the aggro, rush, control ones? I havent really seen answer for that in any of those articles.

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

So with the factions what are there strategys in term of what houses are the aggro, rush, control ones? I havent really seen answer for that in any of those articles.

I'm second-string when it comes to answering these types of questions, but I'll do my best. Perhaps a pro will come in and provide clean up in case I'm applying these definitions incorrectly. Breaking down into my understanding of aggro, rush, and control (note that some decks within a given faction can play counter to these archetypes) we have the following:

Agency is aggro/rush. This faction focuses on character removal through wounding and buffing weaker characters through attachments. It also has access to some character denial. Many Agency characters have Willpower and/or Toughness. Dominant icons are combat and investigation.

Cthulhu is aggro, with various wounding, destruction and sacrifice effects to remove opposing characters. It also has limited support card destruction. Cthulhu characters are more expensive so it tends to be a slower faction (though there are ways to ramp up its speed considerably) that gains in power as the game proceeds. Dominant icons are terror, combat, and arcane.

Hastur is control/rush. It specializes in character theft, driving opposing characters insane, and hand discard. Dominant icons are terror and arcane.

Miskatonic University is rush. Its strengths are success token manipulation and additional card draw. MU has access to many cheap characters and is currently the fastest faction. Dominant icons are arcane and investigation.

Order of the Silver Twilight is rush. This faction's strengths are character bouncing and return to hand/play effects, as well as icon manipulation. Silver Twilight combos well with other factions. Dominant icons are combat, arcane, and investigation.

Shub-Niggurath is aggro/control/rush (?). Shub specializes in resource acceleration, character cost reduction, character spawning, and deck tutoring. It also has the best support card destruction. Dominant icons are terror and combat.

Syndicate is control/rush. It focuses on skill reduction/manipulation and character exhausting effects. Syndicate can use skill manipulation to destroy or uncommit/deny opposing characters. Dominant icons are combat and investigation.

Yog-Sothoth is aggro/control. This faction specializes in card recursion, sacrifice and milling. It also has access to every icon, though terror, combat, and arcane are dominant.
  • mnBroncos and cml like this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
glad syndicate has some control options that is the one I want to try out the most.

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
If you like Syndicate you've joined the game at exactly the right time. The Syndicate deluxe expansion is coming out early next year and looks like it will receive a solid boost.

http://www.fantasyfl...epmi=s&eidm=212

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

If you like Syndicate you've joined the game at exactly the right time. The Syndicate deluxe expansion is coming out early next year and looks like it will receive a solid boost.

http://www.fantasyfl...epmi=s&eidm=212

yea I saw that, that was when actually started looking into the game ha

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
You could probably end up with 2 cores, the new Syndicate box, and the Miskatonic box and have a solid deck. The Miskatonic box gives you probably the best Syndicate character, Peter Clover (SoK)

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
yea not going to lie I also bought Seeker of knowledge, the key and gate, and terror in venice since got the most cards for cheapest price and will give me few more cards to play around with and deck build. So be playing around with that tomorrow when it gets to my house and if like it I will see how much want to invest then, going to go slower into this game then thrones ha.

Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
factions in CoC are quite different than in other games i've played - the rules allow you to mix pretty much any two factions effectively, so you can go for very wierd mixes

im also not convinced MtG archetypes make much sense in CoC, (and argo-rush is kinda the same, and control works so differently in coc IMO )
human factions tend to have better cheap guys and more I icons, being better for fast games, but with current card pool size there are many different things a faction can do depending on what you'll put in the deck.
Yipe summed up mechanics characteristic for factions and Icon distributions nicely, but most good CoC decks use 2 factions, and even with the same faction choosing different mechanics for particular deck makes them play much different, especialy as youll probably want to commit to the chosen effect type to get the most out of it, and it often means finding synergies between two factions

like in the deck posted and discussed here MU card draw was combined with cthulhu destruction, and both factions characters that enter play free of cost under special conditions

or Ychtian migration deck that used Shoub to accelerate and seek for specyfic cards
(or something like that, I cant find the decklist atm, but pretty sure it had festival and shocking transformation to help find key cards and fuel discard pile)

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

yea not going to lie I also bought Seeker of knowledge, the key and gate, and terror in venice since got the most cards for cheapest price and will give me few more cards to play around with and deck build. So be playing around with that tomorrow when it gets to my house and if like it I will see how much want to invest then, going to go slower into this game then thrones ha.

Nice, haha. You've got a solid base then.

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
Well, I hope my rundown of the factions helped give you a working framework at least. I agree with Zephyr that the standard Magic definitions of aggro, control, and rush don't quite fit, but I pigeonholed them as best I could. As they are terms everyone can relate to in some regard perhaps you found it useful.

An important aspect of each faction, which Zephyr discussed, is that each can play counter to their archetypes, or include a subset of cards that when pressed and/or combined with another faction can radically change their assumed style/role.

I think this is one of the things you'll really have fun with compared to AGoT. It's not that deck building is better or the combos more intricate, it's that you're totally free to cook up whatever crazy idea is in your head and give it a try. In my experience, two of the most interesting yet understated elements of Cthulhu are its resourcing mechanics and freedom of deck design.

The Syndicate is my favorite faction, too. They are just so much fun to play as your deck is always doing something unexpected. I can't wait until their deluxe expansion is out. Interestingly enough, they're the only faction without a card on the restricted list.

And congrats on your additional purchases, that should give you plenty of cards to mess around with. Welcome to the game!

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
I never played Magic so I'm not sure if my understanding of the three "types" of decks is accurate, or whether there even ARE just three main types of decks. But Yipe's descriptions look pretty good regardless of what you think of the labels.

And yes, Syndicate is fun and one my favorite factions too - I'm really looking forward to their new box and will probably be playing a ton of different Syndicate+X combinations for months after it comes out.

The downside of getting into this game is that making decks for AGoT afterward will feel so constraining you might as well be wearing a straightjacket :)

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
Hahaha making it sound crazy hard to make decks or they are all similar. Since thematic does that mean like a "criminal" deck be running lot of same criminal decks then seems like if cards work like that be little restricted that way.

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
I don't think decks are "crazy hard" to make, though as your card pool grows there are a lot of choices...

Are all Criminal sub-type decks the same? Not at all. There's a decent amount of variation even within that subset of the Syndicate faction, and that's only taking mono-faction decks into consideration. Once you add in 1 or 2 other factions to whatever element of the Syndicate your focusing on, your deck is your own. Which is pretty much why I say there's no meta to this game and every tournament I've hosted I never know what's going to show up.