Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Just bought 2 core

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

wildefox

wildefox

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

You could probably end up with 2 cores, the new Syndicate box, and the Miskatonic box and have a solid deck. The Miskatonic box gives you probably the best Syndicate character, Peter Clover (SoK)

Mr. David Pan (CotJE) would like a word with you. :P

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
Well wasn't talking syndicate only just themed decks. Like game of thrones a dothraki deck will use lot of same cards so does themed decks kinda work same

orso

orso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Mr. David Pan (CotJE) would like a word with you. :P

The Hack Journalist (DD) will keep the minutes.

so mnBroncos, you see just with this 3 "best Syndicate characters" you can build 3 completely different criminal decks. ;)
Syndicate is, at least as to me, the most versatile fraction in CoC.
I agree it'S a lot of fun to play this faction! :)

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
I'm really excited to be into it :) wish I was good at computers so could support it on octgn just worried won't get to play enough at least with other game know can find a match online.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
I'm not sure Criminals alone are enough to be a theme, since a fairly large percentage of Syndicate characters have that trait. You're always going to have to concentrate on some subset of Criminals and leave others out. I suppose you can view that either as a lot of different Criminal themes, or a lot of themes within a larger Criminal category where each theme has a correspondingly smaller amount of variation. Doesn't really matter, either way there is variety in deck building even within mono-faction decks and once you go to 2-faction decks it just explodes all over the place.

Within Syndicate here are some various themes and mechanics you might build around:
Skill manipulation (sub typing from here one deck might focus on skill->0 to get unopposed, others might use cards that kill low-skill dudes, etc…)
Exhaustion and other story control (I think you may know this one as Lannister Hyper-kneel? You make dudes unable to go to stories or remove them after they commit)
Bottom deck manipulation (moving cards to or from the bottom of the deck to draw what you want at the time you want it)
Rush (lots of cheap guys and Johnny V's Dame discounts your first Criminal each turn)
Committing while exhausted and/or not exhausting to commit (either way, dudes that can attack *and* defend instead of one or the other)
Sacrificing guys to manipulate success tokens (Patsy and Hack Journalist mostly)

And there are probably new themes coming in the new expansion too. At least one I suspect we'll see is Tactics as a couple of cards have mentioned this. There are also a variety of signature cards that can transform their playstyle a bit, such as Dutch Courage turning them into fairly durable fighters (and you can combine this with picking their strong combat guys too). The upcoming Pit Boss will give Willpower to most of them, between the two you can really go to war which is quite different from their heritage of tricky guys who avoid straight up fights.
  • Danigral likes this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
(as you guys will find out I am an addict haha) Is the silver twiligh expansion worth getting do they add a lot to the game? Also if get secrets of arkham does anyone know someone who got 2 sets and be willing to sell the additional x1 that got in the second one bought.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

(as you guys will find out I am an addict haha) Is the silver twiligh expansion worth getting do they add a lot to the game? Also if get secrets of arkham does anyone know someone who got 2 sets and be willing to sell the additional x1 that got in the second one bought.

Imo, the Silver Twilight box is rather incoherent in terms of theme for the new faction, and one of the weaker boxes. I hardly play any of those ST cards, except for Lord Jeffrey Farrington (TOotST) and maybe a couple others.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
oh that is kinda sad, so are they not really competitive right now? Hard to image that just couple chapter packs they got is enough. Sorry for always the thrones terms what is CoC Asylum packs right?

wildefox

wildefox

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

It's very common for people to post online looking for someone to split a second SoA box with, I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding someone relatively close to you.

I am a fan of Silver Twilight as a faction, but I'd agree that their box is very underwhelming. A couple of the cards maybe see some niche use in a few decks, but I feel like the box as a whole doesn't have much of a sense of direction and certainly doesn't contain many (if any) of what I would consider "core" Silver Twilight cards.

In terms of themed decks, you're kind of on the right path. The key is to remember that mono decks are actually quite rare, so often your theme is either something that two or more factions share (Miskatonic and Agency both have a bunch of Investigators, for example. It's less like building a "Dothraki" deck and more like building an "Ally" or "Knight" deck using cards from Lannister, Stark, and Baratheon together.) or it's more of a concept, as dboeren was saying. Once you get a feel for the different tools factions bring to the table, you'll start to think of ways you can combine them to create cool new new decks.

To go back to Silver Twilight, they are a pseudo-cult masquerading as an elite social club. This means that they could work easily with the criminal element (Syndicate) or use their front and high social standing to get the Government to do their work (Agency). Their investigations into the occult mean that you could also pair them up with one of the Old Ones, and it would still be a cohesive deck. Traits are a good place to start looking for what unifies your deck, but I would really look at some of the suggestions for Syndicate that dboeren posted and then when you pick one you like try and find another faction that can help support it.

wildefox

wildefox

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Also I believe when people play Cthulhu online they use Lackey, not OCTGN. I'm fairly certain there is a thread on it that has been recently active.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
the more I read about this now that getting into the sadder I am it isn't doing better I hope it is like lotr and is suprisingly doing better then everyone thinks just all like small groups that don't go on fourms ha

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Personally I'm a big Silver Twilight fan, and use them in lots of decks. But, here are the things to understand..

1. The Silver Twilight box is nothing like the recent faction boxes, nor was it meant to be. It came out a long time ago with the intent of adding a new faction to the game - NOT of being able to field a competitive level deck right out of the box. However, when I spoke w/ the designers at Gencon I was told that the intention is that all factions (including ST) will receive a faction box in this new series they're doing so that box should exist eventually.

2. With just the ST box yeah, they don't yet have all their tools together. Of course, neither do any of the other factions if you cut their card pool back to just the Core plus a little extra to give them a similar number of cards. Later packs have provided more good ST cards and characters. A few really good ones include Initiate of Huang Hun (restricted), Protector of Secrets, Master of the Myths (used in TONS of decks that don't even have ST as a faction), Steal the Soul (fantastic cost 1 event), Lord Jeffrey Farrington has already been mentioned, B. Ramsdale Brown, the new Carl Stanford, etc...

3. It's true that Silver Twilight aren't quite there to be able to field a strong mono-faction deck. This isn't really unique, not all factions are good at this, but in their case it also has to do with their total number of cards being less than other factions due to coming out later on. They do however make a good part of a dual-faction deck. I've used Silver Twilight in my Gencon 2nd and 5th place finished, and HappyDD used them in his recent 4th at Worlds. They don't suck. Once their box comes out I think we'll see mono decks finally become feasible too.

Anyway, for me Syndicate and Silver Twilight are roughly tied as my favorite factions.

I believe that there are a lot of Cthulhu players out there but most of them play at home or in small disjointed groups. Locally, I see stores sell the cards and they tell me people buy them, but those people don't seem to show up for events or game nights so I presume they just play with their friends at home. We also periodically bump into people that play and almost all of them tell us "I didn't know anyone else played this game". Great game, but a very fragmented community.

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Honestly, the STL box is pretty poor. There are a few good cards, but a majority you are never going to use. You'll eventually need it for Faceless Abductor (TOotST) and Lord Jeffrey Farrington (TOotST) at the very least.

wildefox

wildefox

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I don't think anyone is hating on Silver Twilight, I think a few people have just responded to a query about whether it is worthwhile to pick up their expansion box. I think the unanimous sentiment has been that while the faction can be very good, the box that first 'added' them is fairly weak. I'm not sure if anyone has posted yet disagreeing with either part of that statement. I'd say being able to field a very strong mono-deck is more the exception than the rule when it comes to Cthulhu factions, and I've never seen anyone actually use that as a yardstick to measure the viability of one.

If you're going to end up buying everything anyway, then obviously you will need to get The Order of the Silver Twilight. If you are working with a limited budget, or you just want to stagger your purchases though, I would put it fairly low on the list of priorities. Even if you want to build a deck that uses Silver Twilight as one of it's factions, you are probably better off making it on the deckbuilder first and then looking at what asylum packs you would need to bring it to life.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

I don't think anyone is hating on Silver Twilight, I think a few people have just responded to a query about whether it is worthwhile to pick up their expansion box. I think the unanimous sentiment has been that while the faction can be very good, the box that first 'added' them is fairly weak. I'm not sure if anyone has posted yet disagreeing with either part of that statement. I'd say being able to field a very strong mono-deck is more the exception than the rule when it comes to Cthulhu factions, and I've never seen anyone actually use that as a yardstick to measure the viability of one.

If you're going to end up buying everything anyway, then obviously you will need to get The Order of the Silver Twilight. If you are working with a limited budget, or you just want to stagger your purchases though, I would put it fairly low on the list of priorities. Even if you want to build a deck that uses Silver Twilight as one of it's factions, you are probably better off making it on the deckbuilder first and then looking at what asylum packs you would need to bring it to life.

~I'm hating on ST. No good snakes.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
Im forcing myself to not buy more until play around with what i am getting today (so excited for it to get here) but If love it I will probably buy everything by end of the year lol maybe ask for few for xmas ha. Iif like this game I will cut star wars and netrunner and play just CoC thrones and Lotr (love that can play lotr solo) I'm going to win worlds next year in CoC (; haha.
  • Yipe likes this

zreef

zreef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I just picked up two copies of Arkham to have x3 of all the cards, pm me and I can ship you the left overs from the 2nd box including the stories.
  • Danigral, badash56 and mnBroncos like this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

I just picked up two copies of Arkham to have x3 of all the cards, pm me and I can ship you the left overs from the 2nd box including the stories.

what a great welcome to the community (: your awesome and from a guy with only 2 posts wow.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
Wooo cards arrived but got to coach now so gotta wait like three hours tell can dig in :(
  • Danigral and badash56 like this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I don't think anyone is hating on Silver Twilight, I think a few people have just responded to a query about whether it is worthwhile to pick up their expansion box. I think the unanimous sentiment has been that while the faction can be very good, the box that first 'added' them is fairly weak. … Even if you want to build a deck that uses Silver Twilight as one of it's factions, you are probably better off making it on the deckbuilder first and then looking at what asylum packs you would need to bring it to life.

Ah, ok - I see what you mean now. I seldom pay much attention to what expansion had what card in it - they're all just one big pool to me :)

So going through just the ST cards from just the Order of the Silver Twilight Expansion:

There are some decent cards in there, but there is a good amount of filler stuff too that won't be used that often. Keeper of the Silver Sphere has really taken off since Terror in Venice (previously he was rather so-so), Lodge Barkeep is great in a joint ST-Syndicate deck (but only there), Lord Jeffrey is great, Steal the Soul is great, and there are a few other decent characters and events which are usable but not fabulous. Friendly to the Order can be pretty good in the right deck, so is Dark Secrets of the Order. Overall I can see the point that it doesn't have a lot of competitive level cards. Most likely the devs decided to err on the side of caution rather than risk the new faction and their new bouncing tech being too strong.

For other factions some of the better cards include:
An Offer You Can't Refuse
Faceless Abuctor
In the Wake of the Sleeper is OK
Joe Sargent if you like Deep Ones decks
Pnakotic Manuscripts
Sweet Old Lady

However, if you want to play Silver Twilight you either need this box or a fair number of Asylum Packs before you have enough of them to make a deck. Just depends on your goals and priorities.