Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Bara Noble Cause Deck Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3041 posts
After playing 5 games with A Noble Cause and going 2-3, I'm not yet convinced that it's a world beater, but maybe I just haven't cracked the code yet. With a deck that tries to end the game in two turns, every decision is magnified, and every card has a larger impact on the game.

I expect to get better with tweaks and practice, but so far A Noble Cause has been the epitome of rush: it either wins in dramatic fashion or crashes and burns hard.

With that said, I'd like to bring up a few questions for discussion:

1) Holy crests like Dragonstone Convert and Acolyte of the Flame are pretty nuts when they have all 3 icons, renown, and don't kneel to attack. Is 2x Power of Faith mandatory for A Noble Cause decks, or can they be successful without Holy characters?

2) Epic phases created by events like Battle at the Wall (draw) or War of the Five Kings (potentially delay Valar) take place after the dominance phase, and thus after Brightwater Man-at-Arms is discarded. With that in mind, would you run any Epics? If so, which ones and how many?

3) Is Oakenshield Port a good idea? I think yes, because it survives our opponent's Valar, but on the flip side it can't satisfy military claim to keep our more important characters alive, and it's vulnerable to location hate.

4) Should we include Valar? On one hand, if the game won't last more than 3 or 4 turns ideally, it won't hurt to have as a 7th plot. But on the other hand, if we have to Valar, we've probably already lost. It's hard to recover after a Valar while only drawing one card per turn.

5) Are there any characters with printed renown that we should consider? I'm thinking about the non-kneeling Knight of Flowers, and the Robert that gives us an extra power challenge. What about 1 cost characters that won't gain renown? I've found that having a bunch of 2 cost dudes makes setup difficult, so some 1 costers would help get something like a 0-1-2-2 setup.

6) What do you think about opening with Art of Seduction to delay their Valar until turn 3 at the earliest? I won a game doing this, but it seems risking because opponent's will expect it and can counter accordingly.

If you want to see decklists, I have 2 published on agotcards, one with Power of Faith and one without.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
run as many learn crests as you can and outwit. Also think holly is the best option just for the non-kneeling. But i haven't really played around with it yet because not my deck type style enjoy. But I agree with your first statement I don't think its that problematical just need to be prepared to play defensively for a few turns, and appose every challenge.

PulseGlazer

PulseGlazer

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2389 posts
This is all about the Holy crests... I played against it on OCTGN - it's disgusting.

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3041 posts

This is all about the Holy crests... I played against it on OCTGN - it's disgusting.

Do you remember their plot sequence? I'm sot sure how the Holy version should handle the opponent's turn 2 or 3 Valar. Litany of Light + Outwit strikes me as unreliable, and clogs the rest of the deck.

PulseGlazer

PulseGlazer

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2389 posts
It was over by turn 2. It was set up plot, Faith, over. The epic with 3 draw was key. If i valared, he could have re-flooded.

This deck - http://www.agotcards.org/deck/v/40989

Kyurize

Kyurize

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
If you are that scared of valar (if you force turn 2 vala, you should be able to restock enough chars quite easily). How about 3 narrow scape and try to get 2 in your hand for valar via desperate mesures, mulligan, sth? I could actually give you game right away, because you opponent would discard their hands right away.

It seems more reliable and less deck intensive than learned peps + outwit.

im testing some deck builds to see whats good.

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3041 posts
Narrow Escape is an option, but I think Negotiations is better. I'll get around to testing Narrow Escape eventually.

How many attachments are too many? I want to avoid them for good setups, but Fanatic (gives vigilant and +1 to a holy character, or a holy crest to a non-holy character), Bound by the Light (replaces a dead asshai with another from your deck) and Mel's Favor are all so tempting.

I'm having a hard time deciding between attacking first or second on turn 1. Going second means the opponent might have power on their house to steal.

Talieson

Talieson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I feel like against these it's going to be key to try and time it right and win initiative on those power of faith turns, or keep forgotten plans handy.

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts
I'm not convinced about art of seduction as an opener - I'd want more gold. Plus it could get easy to predict and counter. I am wondering about At the Gates to get a learned crest, then Outwit turn 2. Can't recall if Bara have any in house maesters with learned crests (I don't think they do)

Printed renown characters - not convinced about the Knight of FLowers because shadows is quite popular with kingsguard, so chances are he will have to kneel. Power challenge bob otoh looks very nice, I think you also have to consider keyword Stannis in any deck.

I think some 1 costers are definite good choices. Edric Storm, Old Red Priest, Holy Shireen and Carrion Bird all look like they fit nicely.

Oakenshield Port looks good to me. I was considering a route which had more smugglers and naval icons to control winning challenges, and winning 3 challenges with navals can be managed. Vigilant look a very important keyword to this deck too.

As I can't access AGOT cards, what kind of events are people running? Is it all out rush with Make an Example and Superior Claim? Or are challenge winning events like Vigilant Stag being used? Is King Robert's Debt worth it to get a couple of cards drawn (net) and thin the deck a little?

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3041 posts
Bara's only learned crests are Willas and Jaqen, and they're not Maesters, so At the Gates followed by Outwit doesn't work.

I might add some Carrion Birds for the stealth and being good on setup.

Events are Battle at the Wall and Kings Robert's Debt for draw, then possibly Superior Claim or Make and Example, and possibly War of the Five Kings to delay Valar and get another challenge during PoF turns.

I played 2 games this morning and won them both, although they were close. Against Bara KotHH his Motley, Rally Cry, and Red Queen's Faithful (revived by SWiS) were troublesome. Against Lanni Tunnels, kneel from Enemy Informer and Cersei's Scheme gave me fits, and Pentoshi Manor is a b*tch to face. If Pentoshi goes back on the Restricted list I'll feel a lot better about Noble Cause.

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3041 posts
Here's my current list:

Art of Seduction
Melisandre's Scheme
Many Powers Long Asleep
Betrayal at the Wall
Winter Festival
Power of Faith
Power of Faith
Negotiations at the Great Sept

2 Bearer of the Light
1 Asshai Initiatie
2 Intolerant Priest
2 Brightwater Man-at-Arms
2 River Runner
3 Acolyte of the Flame
2 Zealot of the Light
3 Dragonstone Convert

1 Shireen Baratheon
1 Selyse Baratheon
1 Marya Seaworth
1 Edric Storm
1 The Bastard of Nightsong
1 Ser Davos Seaworth (auto dupe)
1 Brienne of Tarth
1 Ser Cortnay Penrose
1 Maester Lomys
1 Dale Seaworth
1 The Knight of Flowers
1 Melisandre (extra unopposed power)
1 Melisandre (holy recursion)
1 Red Queen's Faithful

3 Aegon's Garden
3 Seat of Power
3 Narrow Sea
1 Street of Sisters

2 Bay of Ice
3 Smuggler's Cove
1 Massey's Hook
1 Brightwater Keep
1 Oakenshield Port

1 Fanatic
2 Bound by the Light
1 Melisandre's Favor

2 King Robert's Debt
2 Superior Claim
3 Battle at the Wall

31 Characters
18 Locations
4 Attachments
7 Events

Bomb

Bomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2588 posts

I'm not convinced about art of seduction as an opener - I'd want more gold. Plus it could get easy to predict and counter. I am wondering about At the Gates to get a learned crest, then Outwit turn 2. Can't recall if Bara have any in house maesters with learned crests (I don't think they do)

I think Oldtown Advisor is the only Maester character that Baratheon can grab with a Learned crest with At the Gates.

This may be expensive, but what about Fiery Followers? They will be a vigilant tricon with Renown. If you're trying to win fast, a vigilant tricon might be a a good option. The problem is they cost 4 and have 2 STR... but being able to use them 3 times as an attacker in 1 round could be really nasty. They really need to be out with characters that can help them win challenges though.

DOAisBetter

DOAisBetter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
I made the deck posted to try it out yesterday. First game I won the second turn, he could have valord but it wouldn't have done much. The next game I won on the first turn with 5 holy characters and the power of faith, and the last game it took 5ish turns but he never valord because he had a much better board state all game however it wouldn't have mattered since I was holding back some holy characters for the final turn where I played power of faith got initiative and he had to kneel everything to win the first two challenges only for me to win the 3rd and win dom for the game.

All games were against a stark toolbox kotr kingsguard deck. The games where I won first and second turn I don't think could be stopped outside of maybe targ KOTHH with a descent hand or a lanni kneel with the perfect hand. Interesting deck though I was going to try out some changes latter and play it some more.
  • PulseGlazer likes this

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts

Bara's only learned crests are Willas and Jaqen, and they're not Maesters, so At the Gates followed by Outwit doesn't work.

I might add some Carrion Birds for the stealth and being good on setup.

Events are Battle at the Wall and Kings Robert's Debt for draw, then possibly Superior Claim or Make and Example, and possibly War of the Five Kings to delay Valar and get another challenge during PoF turns.

I played 2 games this morning and won them both, although they were close. Against Bara KotHH his Motley, Rally Cry, and Red Queen's Faithful (revived by SWiS) were troublesome. Against Lanni Tunnels, kneel from Enemy Informer and Cersei's Scheme gave me fits, and Pentoshi Manor is a b*tch to face. If Pentoshi goes back on the Restricted list I'll feel a lot better about Noble Cause.

Events are roughly as I thought then. Battle for the Wall is always something I put in then take out last minute - I think in this deck I will stick with it. Extra challenges seems like a plan. I worry about War of the 5 Kings simply because I may end up using a plot I don't want (Mel's schemes turn 2 for example).

I agree with no reset in the deck. Tbh First Snow of Winter has me nearly as worried as Valar from the opponent though.

I can definitely see the logic behind the deck, but why only 2 Brightwater men at arms?

solaris187

solaris187

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Here is my take on it. Valar counters in the form of Narrow Escape, Maester Lomys, and Willas Tyrell/Outwit. Everything should cost 2-3 gold max. Nothing over that. Majority of the characters are holy so that you can just straight rush with Power of Faith. Added in power claiming events to provide even more power gain during challenges phase. I have been looking at epic battles but have not tested with them yet. So far I am finding this to be really really fast.

House Card (1)
House Baratheon Core Set 1

Agendas (1)
A Noble Cause Forgotten Fellowship 1

Plots (7)
Loyalty Money Can Buy
The Power of Faith x2
Game of Thrones
Melisandre's Scheme
Valar Morghulis
Outwit

Characters (38)
Priestess of the Pyre 3
Brightwater Man-at-Arms 3
Ser Axell Florent 1
Intolerant Priest 3
Zealot of the Light 2
Selyse Baratheon 1
Dragonstone Convert 3
Edric Storm 2
Shadow Enchantress 3
Acolyte of the Flame 3
Bearer of the Light 3
Brienne of Tarth 1
Willas Tyrell 2
Maester Lomys 2
Dale Seaworth 2
House Florent Scouts 3
Alester Florent 1

Events (8)
Narrow Escape 3
Make an Example 2
King Robert's Debt 3

Locations (16)
Seat of Power 3
Street of Steel 1
Shadowblack Lane 1
Great Hall 3
Street of Sisters 1
Stormlands Fiefdoms 3
Narrow Sea 3
River Row 1
  • OldShrimpEyes likes this

FranciscoG

FranciscoG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
What about core renly if using desperate measures and selyse. He is a tricon immune to char abilities.
  • PulseGlazer and VonWibble like this

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3041 posts
How would you go about including influence without diluting the deck? It crossed my mind but doesn't seem practical.
  • Alaka likes this

Arzoo

Arzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
Thoughts on playing a less rushy strategy? Include some vigilant weenies and work to put pressure on them, but build for lots of card draw and control/recursion? Wonder if the power gain pressure might be enough to be worth the lost cards.

PulseGlazer

PulseGlazer

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 2389 posts
For Renly all you'd need is seas, fiefdoms, and a chambers.

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3041 posts
But if you use fiefdoms then you're not using ether aegon's garden or seat of power. Or you have 9 limited.