Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Call of Cthulhu OCTGN Module

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

darksir23

darksir23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
Thought I'd start a new topic here, so as not to keep hijacking the one about generic online play.

The revised Call of Cthulhu module for OCTGN has been out a little over a week now, and I'm seeing more people playing. I'm always open to feedback on how it all works, and anything that is missing.

This is also where I'll be posting new version information, as well as asking for people's input.

That said, I'll let you all know that in the next release, I've updated the Secrets of Arkham set to reflect the changed Poltergeist and Things in the Ground changes. At least on the proxies. I probably have to wait 6 months after the revised set release before I can update the image pack with the new card images.

Also, I'd like some opinions:

I know most of you play with the card images, but I put a lot of time into making the proxies playable and readable. I'm wondering what people think of them. I know they're not perfect, but I don't have the graphic design background to make them so, and even then, I mostly just wanted them to be recognizable for what they are. Fair warning: I can't bold rules text. I would love to make "Action", "Response" and "Forced Response" bold, but that is beyond the scope of the proxy generator. :(
  • Midian likes this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
With the images I have never played a card and thought it looked weird so your doing fine there.

Midian

Midian

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I haven´t had time to check it out yet but hopefully I will have the time over the holidays to sit down and evaluate what seems like a great and magnificent piece of work from the previews!

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
The proxies are fine. You're doing a good job.

badash56

badash56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Thanks for updating this, I am going to give it a shot this weekend.

darksir23

darksir23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
I've added a "Getting Started" document over at the website for the module, that kinda walks one through getting OCTGN and getting Call of Cthulhu installed on it. I'll be adding how to get started in the game, soon.

http://octgn.gamersj...all-of-cthulhu/
  • Jan and jasonconlon like this

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
Excellent. What a wonderful idea. Haha.

darksir23

darksir23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Excellent. What a wonderful idea. Haha.

*Whistles innocently*

darksir23

darksir23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
A few people have asked me about importing decks into OCTGN from online deckbuilders. While cardgamedb.com's Call of Cthulhu deckbuilder has an "Export to OCTGN" function, it does not actually create valid OCTGN decks. Though I've made several attempts to contact the Powers That Be over at cardgamedb.com , I've not yet had any luck. With luck, I'll hear back from them, and be able to help them get a working export format.

In the meantime, there is another way...

Splatz has created a great deck importer that works very well at pulling in deck lists from text. However, it doesn't like CoC's unique or Steadfast card names (The symbols at the beginning of the name throw it off). To solve that, I've compiled a version that ignores those characters.

https://www.dropbox....ller v3.2.0.exe

Install it into your OCTGN folder, then you can access the converter from the Plugins menu of the Deck Builder.
  • Jan likes this

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

A few people have asked me about importing decks into OCTGN from online deckbuilders. While cardgamedb.com's Call of Cthulhu deckbuilder has an "Export to OCTGN" function, it does not actually create valid OCTGN decks. Though I've made several attempts to contact the Powers That Be over at cardgamedb.com , I've not yet had any luck. With luck, I'll hear back from them, and be able to help them get a working export format.

In the meantime, there is another way...

Splatz has created a great deck importer that works very well at pulling in deck lists from text. However, it doesn't like CoC's unique or Steadfast card names (The symbols at the beginning of the name throw it off). To solve that, I've compiled a version that ignores those characters.

https://www.dropbox....ller v3.2.0.exe

Install it into your OCTGN folder, then you can access the converter from the Plugins menu of the Deck Builder.

Well done! I reported a bug on this issue to the developer while ago.

I believe the name of the card Temple of R'lyeh is misspelled in OCTGN, the converter this not recognize it.

Also, I don't know how long the premade decks have been included (I just discovered them) but great job having the Pacta Arcana decks there.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Well done! I reported a bug on this issue to the developer while ago.

Also, I don't know how long the premade decks have been included (I just discovered them) but great job having the Pacta Arcana decks there.

Wow, didn't realize this. Should they be updated with the current restricted list?

Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Wow, didn't realize this. Should they be updated with the current restricted list?

That would be of great help. I know your very first Pacta Arcana deck is quite broken with the errata on Nug.

darksir23

darksir23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
Yeah, I added all of them with the last update. I'm trying to get all of the card names corrected, too :)

I also plan to add restricted list checking to the deck verification process in an upcoming update. If there are changes made to the Pacta Acrana decks, please let me know, and I'll update them accordingly. :)
  • Jan likes this

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
Did you get my message on OCTGN. I'm currently finding mis-spelled cards as I build and noting them. So far:

Sho(u)tgun
Temple (o)f R'lyeh
K(h)opesh of the Abyss

darksir23

darksir23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
Those three have been fixed, and will be in the next update :)

darksir23

darksir23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
I've released an update with corrected card names, and deck checking that takes the restricted list into consideration.

Kwakkie

Kwakkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Question: in OCTGN is it possible to play against yourself without using a second computer? So simply using two decks and two hands? Is it possible in Lackey?

Arocle

Arocle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
Just happened to notice. Aspiring Artist has the pre-nerf image of it's card in the client. Still has arcane icon, 2 skill and draw 2 cards on it.

darksir23

darksir23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Question: in OCTGN is it possible to play against yourself without using a second computer? So simply using two decks and two hands? Is it possible in Lackey?

You can, you just have to load OCTGN twice, without letting it close the original instance.

You'll also want to leave at least one of the clients not logged in, and host the game locally.
  • Kwakkie likes this

darksir23

darksir23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Just happened to notice. Aspiring Artist has the pre-nerf image of it's card in the client. Still has arcane icon, 2 skill and draw 2 cards on it.

Does anyone know of a corrected card image? I can fix it, but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel. The proxy will be correct in the next version.