Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Win x3 Eldritch Nexus Promo Cards! (Voting Closed)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
Do you want to win a full set of promo Eldritch Nexus cards?

Posted Image

How to Win
1. Check out the 12 decks that played in our tournament. You'll find them here.

2. Vote on which deck you think came in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. Post your vote in this thread.

3. The 2 people who have the most correct decks in their top 3 win the promo cards.

It's that simple.

In the case of a tie, whomever had their choices in the closest to correct order wins. Otherwise, it will come down to a best 2 out of 3 match-up on Lackey/OCTGN or be randomly determined by Cthulhu (with me acting as his ever-loyal human proxy).

When Does Voting Close?
Voting closes at midnight PST on 1/15/14. Once the voting is closed, I'll reveal the results round-by-round.

Format and Pairing
The tournament consisted of x4 90-minute rounds using the Cenacle multiplayer rules. Players were matched up randomly with the stipulation that they weren't allowed to face any player more than once (to ensure the greatest diversity in pairings).

I made 2 changes to the Cenacle rules.

1. Players needed to win at least 1 story from both their right and left location, or 1 story from the center and any combination of right or left. The 3rd+ story card won from either the right or left location didn't count toward victory and didn't go into a player's won story pile, though they could still resolve its effect.

2. Players couldn't drag or place characters at stories where they weren't legally allowed to commit.

Scoring and Tiebreaks
We used a different scoring system for this tournament (based loosley on AGoT's Melee tournament rules):

Each success token equaled 1 point. Each story in a player's won pile at the end of a match was worth 5 points. The maximum number of points a player could win per match was 15, for a grand total of 60 points over 4 rounds. The player with the most points at the end of 4 rounds won the event.

If time ran out, whomever had the most success tokens at their 3 best stories won the match and scored 15 points automatically. Every other player would then total up their success tokens at their 3 best stories (either those still on the table or in their won pile). This was their point total for the round (between 0-14 points).

If 2 or more players had an equal number of success tokens at a story on the table, then whomever had more stories in their won pile earned the tiebreak. If this number was also a tie, then no one could count their success tokens at that story.

Final ranking was determined by total points. I used the following tiebreaks in order:

1. Total Stories Won

2. Head-to-Head (must have defeated each tied player)

3. Strength of Schedule (total points of a player's opponents)

Links to Result Threads
Round 1 Results

Round 2 Results

Round 3 Results

Round 4 and Final Results

Additional Info
Last month, the Portland Call of Cthulhu group "Mythos and Microbrews" held the first Cenacle multiplayer tournament in North America. We had 12 participants battle it out over 4 rounds of brutal, cutthroat, sacrificial, in-your-cultist-robes no-chants-barred action.

Okay, that last part was a bit of a stretch. Still, it was a ton of fun and we drank a lot of beer, and our group would like to share some of that excitement with everyone here. So don't hesitate to join in the insanity. Who knows, you may walk away with a pretty cool prize.

Sincerely,

Matt
  • Danigral and jasonconlon like this

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
I am going to type up the deck lists in a separate thread. It's a slow process, so please be patient.

I'll also put up the scoring system we used as it was quite different, and that may influence your choices.

Once I have all 12 decks posted, you will have 5 days to cast your vote. To vote, simply post your choices for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in this thread.

After 5 days I will close the voting and move on to posting the round-by-round match-ups and results every few days. To make it even more fun, I'll post the match-ups before the results for each round so you can earn some bragging rights by predicting which players you think took their respective tables.

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
Will this competition be open to all residents of the world? Or only North America/United States?

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
Cthulhu's reach is far and wide, and none can escape his call.

Unless the shipping costs are ridiculously prohibitive (e.g. you're at a research station in Antarctica uncovering frozen alien artifacts that are better left undisturbed), then this is open to everybody on the globe.

I'm afraid those who are living in alternate timelines or different dimensions are straight out. My mystical powers do have their limits, after all.
  • HappyDD, Skelton and LordTeacup like this

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
Just attach it to a Hound of Tindalos. That way no matter where or when they are, you can reach them.
  • LordTeacup likes this

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
I would like to add that this contest would not have been possible without the generosity of HappyDD. Thank you!

Now I'm back to typing up deck lists...
  • jasonconlon likes this

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
Alright, more than half way there with 7 decks down and 5 to go.

I've also added a brief (very brief) synopsis of each deck's primary goals to speed things up. I know from personal experience that I find it difficult to understand a deck's purpose just by looking at a list of cards.

I can't say that my analysis will catch all of the intended card interactions, but it should give you enough of an overview to make an informed decision.

jasonconlon

jasonconlon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Definitely some fun looking decks in that lot!

Here's my guess for top three placings:
First - THE KOBAYASHI CORP.
Second - BENCH WARRANT
Third - KEYS TO THE PLUM KINGDOM

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Just a quick clarifying question: did you use cenacle multiplayer rules? Or just basic clockwise around the table to engage the attacker?

Looks like a good mix of players and decks. I like that you can see different levels in terms of card pool as well. Glad that everyone could participate, and feeling very jealous right now. But on to my picks:
  • Bench Warrant - in multiplayer arcane and standing will be key, and that conspiracy can be devastating if players aren't prepared for it.
  • Kobayashi Corp. - it looks like a very solid deck with some tricks, some readying, some exhausting, and man Panic would be awesome in multiplayer.
  • Double Agent from the East - I have to back my own deck, right? Right? Besides it's the only deck with Y'Golonac and he's a beast.

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Just a quick clarifying question: did you use cenacle multiplayer rules? Or just basic clockwise around the table to engage the attacker?

We used the Cenacle multiplayer rules. If you go back to the first post in this thread I've since added more info about the event's format and scoring system.

I've played a lot of Cenacle and have made some small changes that I believe help the format to be more interactive. Namely, you have to win a story from each player.

To clarify, there are 3 story locations in Cenacle 3-player - left, center, right. In order to win the match you must have a story from both right and left + 1 other location in your won story pile, or 1 from the center + 2 others from any location.

This adds another layer of strategy to the game as you can't just pick on a weak opponent to win all 3 of your stories. Now you have to (quickly) assess who at the table is your biggest threat and when you need to score a story against them. Do you go early and battle it out so you can coast on the back end? Or will that take too much pressure off your weaker opponent, meaning you should wrack up some easy points now and fight hard for your 3rd story?

The other change I made had to do with all of the "put into play" character effects that have sprung up since the Cenacle rules were first released. You can't commit or force to commit a character at a story where they aren't legally allowed to commit. In Cenacle multiplayer this is the story shared by your 2 opponents but not by you. Does that make sense?
  • Jhaelen and jasonconlon like this

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Looks like a good mix of players and decks. I like that you can see different levels in terms of card pool as well. Glad that everyone could participate, and feeling very jealous right now.

At the risk of sounding like a "very special episode of Cthulhu"... I find the variety of player levels and experience, combined with the friendly atmosphere at our events, are the main reasons the Portland community is so great (that, and the beer).

For example, this was the first CoC tournament for 2 of our players, and only the second for 3 others. On the other end of the spectrum, 2 players at this event have participated in 4-5 tournaments each placing no lower than 6th (out of 20) and having x2 1st, x2 2nd, x3 3rd and x1 4th (out of 14) between them.

And as you noted, we have some players who own everything and others who are still building up their collection, which means we see a lot of diversity in the cards being used - though for some unexplainable reason Deep Ones are always popular in the Pacific NW. Could it be...? No, that's not possible.

Anyway, we're definitely not as hardcore as many of the other well-established LCG metas out there, but that's okay. I like the fact that we have a solid mix of beginners and veterans, and players who seek to build power decks as much as those who design their decks around a particular theme.

I actually put together this tournament as a way to introduce rookies to competitive play. Therefore, everything from the multiplayer format to the scoring system, non-ranked pairings, and prize package was designed to be beginner friendly. My goals were to keep the outcome of the event as close as possible until the end, and to have everyone walk away with something in hand.
  • Danigral and jasonconlon like this

WasteMaLife

WasteMaLife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Just attach it to a Hound of Tindalos. That way no matter where or when they are, you can reach them.

just stay out of the streets

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
A few photos from our tournament:

Posted Image
My first-round adversaries. Look at those friendly smiles - but I know what they're really planning!

Posted Image
Someone just sacrificed a beer to Cthulhu!

Posted Image
"Take the Black" stout was a popular choice that day.
  • Jhaelen and jasonconlon like this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
1. THE KOBAYASHI CORP.
2. YA WANT SOME CORN?
3. WILBUR AND THE NIGHTGUANTS

Mnemonaut

Mnemonaut

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
My guess is:

1) Bench Warrant
2) Wilbur and the Nightguants
3) The Kobayashi Corp.

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
More photos from the big day:

Posted Image
Insanity. A Small Price To Pay for winning.

Posted Image
Pacta Arcana's inspired "The Double Agent from the East" floods the board!

Posted Image
Master of the Lodge - Sinister, not necessarily Evil.

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
Any other forum regulars want to play?

It doesn't cost anything to try (other than your sanity).

cml

cml

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Well, I'm a regular lurker - does that count? (Note since I am still pretty new to the game, this is essentially blind guessing based on the quick descriptions. Still, it's fun to see all these decks.)

1) Ya want some corn?
2) Bench Warrant
3) The Double Agent From the East

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
I generally lurk on most game boards, so it definitely counts in my book. And blind guesses are perfectly acceptable!

As you said this is mostly just for fun, though I am giving away 2 full sets of promo cards so right now the odds are pretty good for everybody who's voted.

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts
FAITH, OR THE GLOCK 9mm
BENCH WARRANT
SLEEPS WITH THE FISHES

pure guesswork.. I didn't have time to see what all the cards/decks did.