Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Win x3 Eldritch Nexus Promo Cards! (Voting Closed)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
And The Winners Are...
Remember, I'm giving away 2 full sets of promo cards.

In 1st place, the undisputed champion of this online contest is none other than:

jasonconlon!

Congrats Jason. You not only predicted 2 out of 3 decks correctly, but placed the top 2 in the correct order. And you were the first person to vote. Just awesome. Now go buy a lotto ticket!

2nd place is tied between Danigral, Mnemonaut, and HappyDD. Each has 2 of the correct decks in their top 3, though only HappyDD has 1 in the correct slot. However, HappyDD is the one who donated these cards so he has declined to take them. Therefore, our 2nd place winner determined randomly by your host of these games is:

Danigral!

Congratulations to our winners and to everyone who participated. You have my humble thanks.

Sincerely,

Matt

P.S. Fellas, please PM your addresses so I can mail your prizes.
  • HappyDD and jasonconlon like this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

And The Winners Are...
Remember, I'm giving away 2 full sets of promo cards.

In 1st place, the undisputed champion of this online contest is none other than:

jasonconlon!

Congrats Jason. You not only predicted 2 out of 3 decks correctly, but placed the top 2 in the correct order. And you were the first person to vote! Just awesome. Now go buy a lotto ticket!

2nd place is tied between Danigral, Mnemonaut, and HappyDD. Each has 2 of the correct decks in their top 3, though only HappyDD has 1 in the correct slot. However, HappyDD is the one who donated these cards so he has declined to take them. Therefore, our 2nd place winner determined randomly by your host of these game is:

Danigral!

Congratulations to our winners and to everyone who participated. You have my humble thanks.

Sincerely,

Matt

Yea! I never win anything. And I've been wanting a set of these. Thanks Yipe and HappyDD!
  • HappyDD likes this

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
Sweet! Thanks for taking part. I don't think I've ever posted so much on one forum before...
  • Jhaelen likes this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
Your TRs are always very good reads. Looks like a lot of fun.

Now rest your fingers before you get carpal tunnel.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Whew, finally over. Lucky thing I chose so poorly because I already have a full set of that card anyway :)

Congrats to jasonconlon and Danigral!
  • jasonconlon likes this

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Whew, finally over.

Yeah, it was a long haul. Thanks for sticking with it.

If everyone liked this format, I may do it again in the future. I want to hold a Highlander tournament before regionals, but with the new Store Championship tournament likely in March it makes for a tight schedule. Perhaps the Portland regionals will be pushed back into July this year?

Avemier

Avemier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Matt's amazing tournament hosting & subsequent (and also amazing) write up is forcing me out of lurking on these forums to throw in my thoughts and experiences. I'm the one who ran the "Go home! The Lodge has got this!" deck in the tournament.

As stated in Matt's bio about us, my wife (who played the "Sleeps with the Fishes" deck) and I are relative new comers to call of cthulhu LCG, as we got our LCG start with Netrunner (technically we picked up CoC before getting into Netrunner but we didn't get serious about playing it until this last summer). I saw that Portland was hosting the regionals last year and we drove down from Seattle to take part in our first tournament (I surprised myself by finishing in the top 8 that tournament). After an amazingly fun day playing awesome games with awesome people, we decided to be at every Mythos & Microbrews event as often we could manage. So, when Matt posted that he was hosting a multiplayer tournament, we quickly RSVP'd.

My lodge deck list was focused around return to hand effects, so that I could clear everyone else's board and commit to stories unopposed. While it didn't go off perfectly, it functioned pretty well throughout the day and there was a lot of groaning whenever
Lord Jeffrey Farrington (TOotST), Unscrupulous Acquisitionist (TGS), or Initiate of Huang Hun (CotJE) hit the table. A surprising MVP from my deck was the combination of Knight of the Eclipse (WoP) and The Necronomicon: John Dee Translation (TUP), which was added only a week or so before the tournament was held. The combination of being invulnerable, willpower, and having a good range of icons really helped me win necessary stories.

Since its been several months, I don't recall as many details as Matt provided but here are some things I do remember:

* In the first round, playing against KOBAYASHI Corp, I felt like I had the advantage early, and I wasn't too worried about David Pan with all of my return to hand effects. Unfortunately, when David Pan did hit the table, he was always accompanied by smaller characters that took the "return to hand" bullet for him and I wasn't able to recover after that.

* I wish I had gotten a chance to play against CULEBRAS LIBRE! but we were never matched up. With us both running decks centered around Initiate of Huang Hun (CotJE), I'm curious how that would have shaken out.

* THE NEVER ENDING STORY was a really tough deck in the 3rd round. I had considered building a deck around this concept but was worried about being able to pull it off successfully. It was awesome to see it at the tournament, and it was definitely a force to be reckoned with.

Overall, it was a day of awesome games, and both my wife and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Thanks for the tournament Matt!
  • Danigral, Jhaelen and jasonconlon like this

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
Avemier, thanks for sharing your thoughts about the day and the kind words. I'm glad you and your wife had fun as that's my goal first and foremost. You guys traveled farther than just about everybody there, so I'm especially happy to hear the trip was worth it.

I hope to see you and Sleeps with the Fishes down in Portland again soon. Perhaps for the Store Championship, which looks like late February/early March depending on when the prize kit arrives at Guardian Games?

By the way, though we didn't play in the tournament, I do remember playing against your deck a few weeks beforehand, and how annoying Knight of the Eclipse + The John Dee Necronomicon turned out to be. It's a great combo.

EDIT: You'll definitely get a second shot at playing against Culebras Libre! because it's not going anywhere. The deck is just too much fun to give up. My brother and I did develop a second "strike" package that used Khopesh of the Abyss and The Thing From the Shore, but opted for the more difficult to play but totally bonkers Initiate of Huang Hung version.

jasonconlon

jasonconlon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Thanks heaps for putting on this competition, Yipe - you put in a heap of effort, with all those entertaining write-ups. It was good fun!

Massive thanks to HappyDD for the prizes, too - it's greatly appreciated. Eldritch Nexus is a very useful card indeed. It's annoying having to pull them out of one deck to use in another, so this'll help me keep more complete decks which I can use for demos and such.

And congrats to the top-ranked players of the tourney, too - especially to the new girl taking out first place. Well done indeed! = )

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts
Yep, thanks for the fun competition and great tournament reports, Yipe. This must have been one hell of an effort!

And my congratulations to the tournament winner - it's no small feat to win a tournament as a beginning player against such a fierce competition.

I'm a bit sad about the final ranking of Culebras Libre! but had already suspected it was too inconsistent to have a chance to win the event.
My own version of the deck used Shocking Transformation as an additional means to get out the right cards but it still didn't work well enough for my taste.
Still, it's such a fun concept, and the chance to show off an infinite combo at a tournament is definitely priceless!

HappyDD

HappyDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
I acquired the cards by beating up children and stealing them, so I appreciate your thanks for my efforts! I think this was a fun contest, so thanks to Yipe for running it.

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

I'm a bit sad about the final ranking of Culebras Libre! but had already suspected it was too inconsistent to have a chance to win the event.
My own version of the deck used Shocking Transformation as an additional means to get out the right cards but it still didn't work well enough for my taste.
Still, it's such a fun concept, and the chance to show off an infinite combo at a tournament is definitely priceless!

Yes, unfortunately the Uroborus infinite loops are still a bit too inconsistent for tournament level play I feel, but in time they might be viable (and then promptly banned - haha). My own version of this combo uses Nikolas Tesla and the Uroborus trigger from discard for 'infinite' success tokens.

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

I'm not 100% convinced yet. Though it seems counter-intuitive, multiplayer might have been a more difficult format to pull off the combo.

Remember, in nearly 40 rounds of head-to-head playtesting vs 6+ different deck types the day before (at least half which were copies of decks that had won or ranked highly in our big regional events in 2012 and 2013), Culebras Libre! obliterated them (I think he only lost 2 hands). It also crushed Bench Warrant, which I feel is a pretty strong deck and had a real shot at winning the tournament (I would've gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids in round 4).

The end results still leave me scratching my head. However, a few things happened during the event that skewed the outcome. First, my bro made some big mistakes in the second round that cost him the game. Second, In the 3rd round I was able to quickly win 1 story against him, and then pick up 2 stories from my other opponent whose deck was struggling. Finally, in the 4th round, Faith (who is my first cousin and I believe his number 1 secret goal was to beat me and my bro at the event), went all-in against Culebras Libre!, thus leaving the game wide open for Never Ending story to win (which actually hurt Faith in the standings, as they were ranked 3rd and 4th).

So you see, it's not always about the math. I'm going to keep playing Culebras Libre! and see if I can't get it to work more consistently.

I may switch out the Initiate for Khopesh to see if that doesn't make the deck a little more reliable. The other option is to use Shocking Transformation and Flooded Vault, and then just pack the deck with Ancient Ones from every faction (as you don't need a resource match once the infinite loop is up and running).

arkhaminmate

arkhaminmate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
Yeah, I'd be doing that I think. Initiate of Huang Hun is so easily countered with popular cards like Dreamlands Fanatic and Matthew Alexander that I've never been a fan of basing a strategy around it.

WasteMaLife

WasteMaLife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
flux stabilizer and alienist also shut it down completely. Plus support destruction is not very hard to come by. I am surprised this deck did well at all in the current meta.

Saint7x

Saint7x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi all,

Sorry to reanimate this thread from the grave but I just got a copy of this Eldritch Nexus promo and I noticed that it is missing the Neutral symbol. Should there be neutral symbols on the card? I can still resource this card if I want to?

jasonconlon

jasonconlon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
Treat it just like the original. The artwork and layout are different, and - assuming it wasn't an omission - they've gone with no faction symbol to represent neutral (although I personally think they should have included a neutral symbol); however it's intended to be the same card functionally.

Saint7x

Saint7x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Thanks man!