Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

House Strengths/Weaknesses

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Lethuin

Lethuin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey guys,

I've got a first draft done. The writing needs work, but I'm happy with the content. However, I'd like to get everyone's notes on it, as I haven't been playing that long and would like more experienced eyes on the information I've written. Is there any way to upload a document?

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts
I'd be happy to upload the file here. I'll send you a PM with my email address. Normally you'd be able to upload it yourself but a server issue that my host and I are working on now has broke it.

Also whenever you're done if you are interested I'll post it on the front page as an article for everyone.

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts
Ok, just got the document from Lethuin and it is now attached to this post.

Link to attachment: Attached File  Houses.doc   48KB   2110 downloads

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts
I just glanced over it and it looks pretty good so far. It is getting very late here though so I'll take a closer look tomorrow when I'm more awake :D

Lethuin

Lethuin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I just glanced over it and it looks pretty good so far. It is getting very late here though so I'll take a closer look tomorrow when I'm more awake :D

Awesome, thanks Darksbane!

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts
Revisions/ Suggestions below

Stark:

and they have a number of locations that allow you to search your deck for specific card types (especially Dire Wolves)

I'd change to "and they have a number of cards that allow you to search your deck for specific card types (especially Direwolves)"
There are a number of events which search too.

Lannister:
I don't think I'd list the City plots as an Important card for Lannister. Although Lannister likely uses them the most often they can work well in Martell and Baratheon or any Shadows deck IMO.

Baratheon:
I don't think I'd list Character Stealing as a main part of Bara, especally in light of Starks new use of it.

An Asshai/Holy subtheme focuses on intrigue and military challenges,

Should be Intrigue and power challenges

They're also particularly vulnerable to individual character death, as their reincarnation abilities will bring a character out of the grave, but without all of the power it gained from renown.

Although this is true, they usually focus more on character saves more than return from dead pile.

Targ:
Looks good

Greyjoy:
I'd list them as weak in Intrigue. Of their 57 characters only 16 have an intrigue icon, compared to around 43 which have Military and 40 which have Power.

Martell:

Also, as the House lacks the ability to save characters, they are most vulnerable to losing a character necessary to their strategy.

I'd remove or revise this. They do have fewer in house saves than most other houses and they tend to be more expensive, but they can still do it.

Lethuin

Lethuin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I'd remove or revise this. They do have fewer in house saves than most other houses and they tend to be more expensive, but they can still do it.

Changed to: Also, the House tends to focus a large amount of its strategy around individual characters, making targeted kill an issue.
Is that a better summation?

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,547 posts
Yeah that sounds better. Also I noticed in my suggestions I listed Intrigue and Military for Ashaii/Holy decks which was just a repeat of what you said. I should have said Intrigue and Power challenges.

CCCORNIV

CCCORNIV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for putting this document together Lethuin. I think it will be very helpful for new players, like myself.

jackmerridew

jackmerridew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Just a note about targaryen. I wouldn't really say dragon bite or jhogo are really important cards. But I would definitly include bones of a child.

Really great job. Ill be showing this to a couple of newer players from my meta
Thank you

Nomos

Nomos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
The problem with any card text analysis is that it does not take a number of competing factors into play such as meta, interactions, plots and player skill.

Not a bad first take but does lack depth

Zomboyd

Zomboyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
interesting. one thing i did notice was you missed Bolton as a sub theme for Stark, it may be underdeveloped but it is there as an option.

Smith

Smith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'd mention mill as a subtheme for Greyjoy as well.

Thoressen

Thoressen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Excellent Work, thank you for sharing it

JackCade

JackCade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
Just curious if this document was updated with the recommended changes, and if so, where it is posted.

Thanks!