Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Data Collection] - "Annals of Castle Black"

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1728 posts
I've begun to put up the metadata sheet (which will compile data from all submitted results), but google spreadsheet's poor support for 3D ranges is slowing me down. There's a mock-up version now, but it will require me to edit it to add each additional sheet to the ranges checked for data, so I'm working on a way to script that in. I think I've figured it out (still rather clunky), so I'm hoping to have that all done by the end of the week.
  • Tywin likes this

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1728 posts
First of all, thank you to Darksbane for pinning this thread.

Secondly: I'm having some problems with google spreadsheet - because it doesn't support 3D ranges, I seem to have to manually update the master (Metadata) sheet every time a new sheet's data is entered. I attempted to fix this using a script, similar to this one, but the trouble is the script won't automatically update and so has to be manually re-entered every time I want to add a sheet anyway. I've seen some suggestions of a dummy-value (like googleclock() ) to force scripts to update, but I haven't had any luck.

Functionally speaking it's not a big deal. It means that every couple of days I added all the new sheets to 6 formulas, and drag them down the metadata sheet. Still, I'd prefer the process be automated so people can immediately see the fruits of their labour on the meta-data sheet. Anyone have any suggestions to automate this process?

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3039 posts
Last year I tried something similar using a Google Form where players could submit the results of individual games. Let me see if I can dig that up.

Edit: Here.

LaurenF

LaurenF

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 424 posts
Glad to see this got pinned! I will fill out a sheet for the Boston store championship in 2 1/2 weeks.

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1728 posts
I've managed to scavenge up data from the Polish tournament at Lodz, from a couple of sources (thanks especially to Skaven for the info). If any of you attended that tournament, please help me fill out any missing info.

Edit: And thanks to Fruszu for filling in a ton more data!

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3039 posts
What happens when a new FAQ update takes effect? I hope that pre-FAQ and post-FAQ data can be separated.

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1728 posts

What happens when a new FAQ update takes effect? I hope that pre-FAQ and post-FAQ data can be separated.

Yup. Every entry includes the FAQ dating it (as well as the most recent CP - although I don't use that information (yet) in any automated function). I'll automatically archive all data for prior FAQs, which will still be accessible as historical data, when the new one comes along.

kuvnynto

kuvnynto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
This is amazing! Thank you for putting this together. Going to see if I can get our group to use this here in Austin.

Bomb

Bomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2588 posts
I think this is amazing as well, but I still can't stop reading "Anal of Castle Black".

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1728 posts
The size of the data (thanks to the addition of the complete Stahleck stats (credit to Tomdidiot)) is large enough to justify including an over-representation ratio for agendas - so they've been added to the metadata sheet.

Edit: Spelling

Tomdidiot

Tomdidiot

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 310 posts

The size of the data (thanks to the addition of the complete Stahleck stats (credit to Tomdiidiot)) is large enough to justify including an over-representation ratio for agendas - so they've been added to the metadata sheet.

You misspelt my name.

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1728 posts
This weekend alone, I've received tournament data from Texas, Virginia, Indiana and Padis (Spain). I'm updating the metadata sheet to reflect the new data now!

Crevic

Crevic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
I added results and data from a tourney we had here in SoCal this weekend. If it looks like the house distribution is very even, that was the intent. Before the tourney, we had 6 "Kings" (each of which had won a regional last year) do an auction/draft for 3 other teammates and a house to play, and during the swiss, the would be no matchups against the same house. Total wins for each house was tracked throughout the tourney, and the house with the most wins all got a prize. Unfortunately there were a few that had to drop out due to life happening, so two houses (Bara and Targ) were merged onto one team (Thematically, the Mad King Arys was slain and King Robert gained their forces.) Greyjoy ended up winning the most games, but Stark took the championship. Overall it was a really fun format.
  • LaurenF likes this

kuvnynto

kuvnynto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Added some info to the Austin spreadsheet; my roommate hadn't responded to our tournament runner yet, but I knew exactly what was in his deck.

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1728 posts
Now that the data are a little more robust, I've added Winner House and Agenda graphs to the metadata sheet (sheet 1).

Hoping to see quite a few additions from this weekend! Chicago, Boston, and Montreal have all promised me updates without me actually hounding them down, and Australia's got a few they're overdue on reporting!

LaurenF

LaurenF

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 424 posts
Data from yesterday's Boston SC is in the spreadsheet! We definitely had some unusual results: 2 Song of Ice in the tourney and both made the cut. We also had a huge number of games go to time, and no one went undefeated in the Swiss.

RemkoLooten

RemkoLooten

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
All data from the Arnhem SC yesterday has been added.
1 game went to time.
No one went undefeated in swiss.
Top 4 was Martell bloodthirst, Lannister Pbtt, Targ no agenda, Stark HoD.

Jensen22

Jensen22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
I believe I got all the information for the Store championship in Seattle entered correctly... I know I got the cut right... Not sure about second half of the swiss standings though....
  • zoltan likes this

istaril

istaril

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1728 posts
Another 5 tournaments (several unsolicited)! If this keeps picking up momentum, I won't have to pester everyone who posts a winning deck for their tourney result. Thanks to all of you who take the time to do this!

As I've got to do a bunch of stuff to get this week's podcast up, I won't be updating the meta-data to include the 5 new submissions until tomorrow.

scantrell24

scantrell24

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3039 posts
I'm not sure how much work this might take, but I'd like too see agenda percentages of making the cut for each house. For example, differentiate Martell KotR from Bara KotR, and let me see that x% of lanni decks to make the cut were no agenda, y% pbtt, z% house of dreams, etc.