Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Conquest - New WH40K based LCG from FFG?

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

Keggy

Keggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

well there is no proof it is real at all.. could be a fan hoax.

Google "fantasy flight games conquest." the 7th link is to the splash page, which has now been taken down; however, you can view the cached page, which shows what was in the picture.

If this was a fan hoax, then they went through the trouble of hacking FFGs website to make it happen.

Doombot

Doombot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Going off the assumption that what was leaked is legit, my question would be why another 1v1 LCG? I would think a property like Vampire: the Eternal Struggle with the multiplayer-focused gameplay would be more attractive to both LCG first-timers and hardcore LCG players whom are already inundated with heads-up LCGs. This would strike me as the perfect time to try something different with Netrunner's seemingly overwhelming success, yet well within FFG's business model of buying up old properties and putting them in their own worlds, IE TI: Rex and Netrunner.

Or maybe I just really want V:TES back and would love the idea of it as a LCG.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
pfft! Vets should stay dead! 40K is way better..
Posted Image

Though I think you have a point, this would be a good idea to introduce a new co-op like LoTR that is a sorta bridge between board and card games. Or a game that is designed for multiplayer as in 3+
  • Ironswimsuit likes this

Mikec103

Mikec103

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Well as a LCG player, we already have a few multiplayer options. The last deluxe for Warhammer Invasion had multiplayer rules. Star Wars lcg deluxe gave us multiplayer rules. A Game of Thrones even has tournaments for their melee multiplayer format. Lord of the rings, while a co-op game is great with more then 2 players. So I think they can make a good multiplayer game with this as well.

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts
I like having multiplayer as an option but generally prefer the PvP games. One of the problems with the original Vtes was that it never really worked as a PvP experience due to the huge play differences in playstyle, however, it was one of the best multiplayer experiences I have ever played.
  • mikado likes this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
There's nothing to stop this game becoming multiplayer down the road. Every LCG except for Netrunner has some form of multiplayer.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
I had been thinking a revised V:TES would be a good candidate too. There would need to be a good trimming done to it, but if they could pull it off and add a solid 2p mode I'm sure it would have been a great game. Maybe next time...

Personally, I'm glad to see a regular card game again after two asymmetrical games. Three would have been too many IMHO and while I do sometimes play and enjoy LotR I have no desire for another co-op LCG. It's just not the same, you know?

The 40K box specifically says 2p, so at least we know there is no multiplayer version from the beginning. Sure, anything can happen eventually but I know from experience that eventually can take a long time to get here so I'm not planning on having any expectations. If it happens it happens. Star Wars announced their multiplayer very early, so I figure that if 40K has a multiplayer mode in the works we'll see that in the initial announcements. On the other hand, if we don't see any mention of it in the first month or so, then it's probably a long way off if ever.
  • mikado likes this

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts
I think if Vtes was trimmed down as much as it needed to be, it would perhaps not be recognisable as Vtes anymore. I feel a total reworking of the WoD would be required and whether that would then appeal as much is another issue.

HappyDD

HappyDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Personally, I'm glad to see a regular card game again after two asymmetrical games.

How do you know it isn't an asymmetrical game with deck-building pods?
  • cparadis likes this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
I don't. But, minis games are pretty much founded on an "anybody can fight anybody" premise so it seems to me very unlikely that FFG would break that convention and risk alienating existing 40K players who expect to be able to fight anyone they want.

I know from my long years as a Warmachine player that any of us would have thought it stupid if a Warmachine related game ever came out where half the factions were considered "allies" and you couldn't fight again them.
  • Tragic likes this

brimmstorm

brimmstorm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
I don't suspect a asymmetrical game from 40k. Everyone hates everyone in that game. Even Guard and Marines don't see eye to eye most of the time.
  • Tragic likes this

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

I don't suspect a asymmetrical game from 40k. Everyone hates everyone in that game. Even Guard and Marines don't see eye to eye most of the time.

Exactly, this is what worries me the most. There is simply no way ANY faction can mix with ANY other faction and have it make any kind of sense lore wise. So they either have to release it like Discwars... as in each faction is a completely interdependent empire, or.. well..I do not know what.. there is no other option really. You could make a variety of factions inside a faction, so instead of having 9 races you have 2 and space marines have 3 or 4 factions IN space marines.. but again.. even the individual chapters are not "friends"

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
It's not entirely against the lore. Space Marines and Imperial Guard do work together. They are both part of the Imperium after all.

Tau have worked with and against the Imperium.

Orks have worked with humans before. There's an entire Clan based around Human culture, the Blood Axes

Eldar and their Dark cousins have made common cause in the past. Particularly of course when it comes to the Great Enemy. They've also allied with the Imperium like during the 13th Black Crusade.

Tyranids are equal opportunity invaders and eat everyone. They won't play with any of the others.
  • mikado likes this

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
sure there are some stories, like a tiny minuscule fraction of the lore, or single battles and stuff where people have been in uneasy alliances. Still when was the last time you went to a table and saw a mixed faction army... never right?

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
Just because it isn't common on the miniature gaming field doesn't mean it can't be on the card table. It's in the lore quite a bit and maybe the card game can better fit into that.

I am hoping to see more Adeptus Mechanicus myself. Something that isn't really in the table top game.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
yeah, that should be in there with any luck.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Even if units aren't likely to mix, is there any reason why Event, Location, or Equipment type cards couldn't be mixed? I'm pretty sure different races could capture each other's places and gear and emulate some of each others tactics and operations.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
not really. Only the Orcs sorta use equipment form everywhere and it has gone though heavy argumentation. There are relics and other ancient stuff that everyone fi9ghts over. Like capturing a relic is a common table top scenario goal.. so these powerful relics could be neutral and for all decks, good call.

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Out of curiosity, what do people feel about the potential success for this game? Invasion was a little bit of a flop and I'm not sure if this will be the same.

Had FFG started reprinting expansions with full playsets, Invasion might have done better. But, had Invasion not gone from kinda broke to completely broke within the first cycle, then running with it... it might have done better. Orc/Skaven rush, then Bolt Thrower, then Dwarves... It was just stupid. Had quest cards been anything other than a dead mechanic from the start...Invasion might have done better. That said, I loved the themes of the game despite the total imbalance, since I recognized it as casual only game. The draft option was super cool, and if the game can be found for rock bottom cheap, it's probably worth getting a core set, the first cycle, and the first deluxe just to draft. I'm talking $30 cheap for all that. If 40K can provide a decent variety of well known factions out of the gate, while maintaining a reasonable card pool, I think the game will do well. Objectives, with or without pods, seem like they belong. Yeah, the 40k universe doesn't need a reason to fight, but having something to fight over seems cool to me. As far as this faction mixing nonsense is concerned... we'll just have to wait and see. Everyone can still fight everyone, but that doesn't mean everyone has to fight alongside everyone. In a pod based game, I'd love to see a core set with 8 factions, and a couple of decent, truly neutral utility pods to provide good variety (in case there's a sizable restriction on army mixing). In a single card build game, I think the Netrunner 'pip' system could be a good way to allow army mixing, but keep things under control without adding restrictive out of faction costs. How many out of house cards do we see in Thrones decks really?

We're not going to see EVERY faction represented fully on its own. There's just way too much to maintain a reasonable card pool(and potentially, game balance) If that's a deal breaker, play 40k. I see enough complaints about this on the diskwars boards. 'blah blah tomb kings and undead are totally different and need their own army'. No. They're all dead. One group just hangs out in sarcophagi.
  • Toqtamish likes this

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

We're not going to see EVERY faction represented fully on its own. There's just way too much to maintain a reasonable card pool(and potentially, game balance) If that's a deal breaker, play 40k. I see enough complaints about this on the diskwars boards. 'blah blah tomb kings and undead are totally different and need their own army'. No. They're all dead. One group just hangs out in sarcophagi.

there is a difference between all the units being undead and undead hanging out with orcs. Or in this case, with Space Marines being allies with xenos.