Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New to 40K

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
So I have never played 40k or any tabletop mini game ever. I am really excited for this LCG to release and I will probably pre-order it. Even though I know nothing of the lore I am super syked.

Question is, where do I start if I want to get versed in the lore? Should I just comb the wiki? That sounds way less fun to me. I know they have the black library but where do I start reading?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

brimmstorm

brimmstorm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
The best place to get a good overview of the fluff is to buy last editions rulebook for the minis game. I believe that would be 5th edition. That will give you backround on the whole galaxy/events and then more info on each faction in the game.

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
Great! I will torrent it and do some reading.

TGO

TGO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2588 posts
The Horus Heresey novels are really good. That will give you a ton of back story about the loyal Space Marine chapters and the ones that fell to Chaos and the one that was forced to turn to Chaos becuase the Emperor is a jackass.
  • wyrmw00d likes this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
There's also a ton of good websites like the 40k wikia and lexicanum that can help you.

I'm a huge fan of the Horus Heresy novels as they are all really well done.

We are planning to spend some time covering the lore of the universe and factions in the first few episodes of Adeptus Podcastus while we wait for more previews and rules etc.
  • wyrmw00d, Ironswimsuit, MotoBuzzsawMF and 3 others like this

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
When is the podcast set to start?

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
We plan to record first episode not this weekend but next one.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
I'll keep an eye out for it then, I don't know the 40k universe much either and it would be good to have at least a basic overview of who's who and what's going on.

Asmoridin

Asmoridin

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
Really, reading some of the Black Library stuff is not a bad way to get into the background of the game. Some of it actually makes for really good sci-fi reading in general (The Eisenhorn and Ravenor series). The Gaunt's Ghosts novels are pretty fantastic as well.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
wow podcast on game don't even know how to play yet haha curious what going to be talking about for like 5 months, and that is if the game is out at gencon

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

wow podcast on game don't even know how to play yet haha curious what going to be talking about for like 5 months, and that is if the game is out at gencon

Well I would imagine it would be most about the history of 40k, its lore up to current and what we want and see happening for the game. I think there is enough to fill up a moderate length podcast. I would also imagine it to be bi-weekly. In any case, we should not scoff at the idea before it is enacted. I think it is a good idea and there are enough people interested in the LCG to be excited for the podcast.
  • Toqtamish and kamacausey like this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
Thank you BuzzsawMF. I don't know if we will be bi weekly at first. That is the ultimate plan for once everything is up and running.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
oh sorry this is one of those hard to tell tone on internet. I find it awesome that someone is going to take that task and find info to talk about for that long was a more surprise awesomeness then a ha good luck with that comment.
  • Toqtamish, MotoBuzzsawMF and KennedyHawk like this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
Definitely not how it came off but good that you clarified.

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

oh sorry this is one of those hard to tell tone on internet. I find it awesome that someone is going to take that task and find info to talk about for that long was a more surprise awesomeness then a ha good luck with that comment.

From my experiences on DB, you are usually not the one to throw crap at someone on the forum lol. But I hear you, sometimes text is hard to read when it comes to intent.
  • widowmaker93 likes this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

From my experiences on DB, you are usually not the one to throw crap at someone on the forum lol. But I hear you, sometimes text is hard to read when it comes to intent.

yea and often don't read what I am about to send so some of my comments make zero sense to ha.
  • widowmaker93 likes this

WasteMaLife

WasteMaLife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Tragic posted this link way back when this game was a rumor. This is the best place for a nub to go for 40K lore that is not a wiki like lexicon

https://www.youtube....r/VaultsOfTerra
  • ncaron likes this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Presumably FFG will put out more spoilers over time, so you can talk about those, as well as the page that's already up.

WasteMaLife

WasteMaLife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Having a pod cast for a game not even out is pretty stupid. You do not even know if you will like it, or if the game is very good. All you want to do is "be the first" to have a podcast.. about w/e. What makes PoD casts work is that they are run by true fans reveling in the topic.. the game is not even out. This smacks of narcassium.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Presumably FFG will put out more spoilers over time, so you can talk about those, as well as the page that's already up.

That's the plan although I doubt previews will start rolling until probably June.