Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New to 40K

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts
FFG has been fairly willing to give fan podcasts some spoilers for other games (well, at least SWLCG, which is the main other game I play), so it's possible they'd be willing to toss some info your way to talk about on the podcast. I mean, it is pretty much free advertising for them, and anything that helps build excitement for the game ahead of its release should be a good thing in their eyes. Worth contacting them and asking about if nothing else.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
For sure Matt B.

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Having a pod cast for a game not even out is pretty stupid. You do not even know if you will like it, or if the game is very good. All you want to do is "be the first" to have a podcast.. about w/e. What makes PoD casts work is that they are run by true fans reveling in the topic.. the game is not even out. This smacks of narcassium.

Since no one has responded to this I suppose I will. First, (Narcissism) <-- that is how you spell narcissism. Second, as I said before. 40k already has a huge following in the minis. There are also a ton of people that are interested in the novels. Since it will now be an LCG from a company that has already had a pretty good track record for card games, this game will more than likely see a huge interest. Then there are people like myself who do not know anything about the 40k universe but have a very high interest in this game.

Again, as I said before. Lets not scoff at this before it is enacted. Toqtamish seems pretty serious about this since he is the main person I see on both FFG and DB 40k forum, so I trust that he can do work and make it something worth listening too.

In closing, if you want to be a trolly D-bag about it, then there are plenty of other forums out there for you to do that in.
  • widowmaker93, DavFlamerock, ncaron and 1 other like this

Vorrt

Vorrt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
I've played 40k for many years on the tabletop (from 3rd edition to the current 6th edition). My local player community, outside my circle of friends, and Games Workshop's outrageous price hikes over the past couple of years has driven me from the game. I still really enjoy the lore behind the game and have a good solid base to share with people if they would like more info.

I am looking forward to Toqtamish's podcast coming up, because I have holes in my knowledge and would love to learn more, just don't have the time to slog through that much wiki right now.

I'm hoping to pick this game up in the near future and get some of my 40k friends in it as well. From the little bit of spoilers that FFG released, I'm happy to see my favorite company of the Ultramarines, and their Captain Sicarius, be part of the Marine faction for the game.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to hit me up through pm's or whatnot.
  • MotoBuzzsawMF likes this

widowmaker93

widowmaker93

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1418 posts

Having a pod cast for a game not even out is pretty stupid. You do not even know if you will like it, or if the game is very good. All you want to do is "be the first" to have a podcast.. about w/e. What makes PoD casts work is that they are run by true fans reveling in the topic.. the game is not even out. This smacks of narcassium.

Why don't you go crawl back into your parent's basement and leave these discussions to the adults.

I for one am excited to hear a podcast on this game. I'm on the fence about this title and want to know more about the background and such before Gencon.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
I don't know much at all about the 40K universe, and frankly until recently I never knew anyone considered it to have good fluff. I only knew it in the context of people complaining about the company or the miniatures game rules. But OK, I try to be open minded and the LCG may turn out to be quite good. If the game turns out to be one I like a lot and want to collect, I'll be glad to know something about the factions and their world.

WasteMaLife

WasteMaLife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
the fact remains that there is no reason to think the game will be any good. How can you respect a podcast when the people running it have no more incite than the players. Star Wars went though this with Smugglers Den I think it was called. You have these guys trying to be deep and meaningful about a game that was so new .. there was NO WAY anyone could say anything meaningful about the cards or the game, I do not listen to them but they have probably got their **** together now, as the game has been out long enough for players to become skilled and have real things to say. This will be even worse. The people casting have no idea of if they will even LIKE the game, It is ridicules .

S you have to ask what is the motivation for doing a pod cast so early.. and the only thing I can see is to "be the first". To talk and hope other people listen. Chatting on a forum isn't good enough for them, they need to get on a pulpit and dictate to the world there opinion.. and that is all they will be as even after the game comes out they will be a nubish as any new player.. that is why I said it was like narcissism. This isn't about the game.. it is about standing and getting in first and the joke is they guys running it might hate the game!

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
lcg - check
fantasy flight games - check
nate french and eric lang - check

yea I am not worried about the game being any good.
  • DavFlamerock, MotoBuzzsawMF and LesterCrow like this

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3594 posts
You have said your piece Waste, feel free to not listen to or read about the podcast if you dont care for it. Everyone, lets get this back on topic and keep it on topic please.
  • cparadis, KennedyHawk and frybender like this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
As has already been answered, the podcast will not lack for material in the early months when our knowledge of the game is still scarce because it will be covering the 40K universe which is certainly vast enough to carry more than a few podcast episodes.
  • Toqtamish and MotoBuzzsawMF like this

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
problem with the 40K fluff is that it changes so much. GW are not shy about overwriting or adding or contradicting stuff.. in fact it seams sometimes they are doing it on purpose! This is why wikis can differ so much. I tend to come at it from a RPG perspective. I take what I like and expand what I need and end up with a "version" of 40K that is nearly as valid as any but more attuned to my own tastes. The fluff is obscure for a reason I think, to allow for this imagination. The game used to be bare bones on fluff and the habit of people inventing and design their own chapters with histories and everything seams to have waned. The 40K fluff is sorta like legend.. not to be taken to litteral.

LesterCrow

LesterCrow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

The thing about this game is that it's IP is so rooted in geek culture that a podcast that speculates and educates for the first few months will still be welcomed by interested parties. Also I can almost guarantee that this game will be a gem. Eric Lang has a great track record and all the experience can only help when designing a new game. Early podcasts can be simple and direct discussing forum topics and the general nature and history of 40k as an IP. I personally think that Toqtamish is obviously a true fan who will revel on the overarching topic that is 40k.

wyrmw00d

wyrmw00d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
A lot of great guidance here for 40K newcomers, I agree that the Horus Heresy series is a great way to introduce you to the setting, it sets the stage for everything to come. Lexicanum is my favorite 40K wiki, any and everything I need to know about the setting can be found there.

Also, the RPG series has great source material. Most of it is from the perspective of either the Imperium (Deathwatch, Rogue Trader, Dark Heresy, or the forces of Chaos (Black Crusade), but some of the source books adequately cover alien factions such as Eldar, Tau, Necrons, Orks, and Tyranids.

I love the Warhammer 40K setting, it's a rich environment that can be used to explore many themes besides those traditionally associated with "space opera" or sci-fi horror.

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
So I started my adventure into 40K with reading Horus Rising. I am really enjoying it so far.
  • Toqtamish likes this

LucasBarton

LucasBarton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Even though I know nothing of the lore I am super syked.

I see what you did there. It's spelled with a "p", though.

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

So I started my adventure into 40K with reading Horus Rising. I am really enjoying it so far.

i have read through the first 15?? books of the horus heresy and i can tell you most of them are pretty good. my only complaint with the books in the series is it almost always starts out really slow, but about 1/3 in, they ramp up the action and its tough to put them down. The black library keeps releasing more in the series and I keep buying them. One thing i like is that in between the main story of the horus heresy, they will have books about specific space marine chapters and how they spiral into traitor legions.

Anyways, enjoy!!

DarkBlue

DarkBlue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
I have never played or red a book of Warhammer and only have a rough and very basic understanding of this universe.

But somehow the game mechanics seem very attractive to me, and I am looking forward to have a closer look at this and maybe dive into it. Though I guess, I will basically enjoy the game without the lore stuff.
  • MotoBuzzsawMF likes this

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

I have never played or red a book of Warhammer and only have a rough and very basic understanding of this universe.

But somehow the game mechanics seem very attractive to me, and I am looking forward to have a closer look at this and maybe dive into it. Though I guess, I will basically enjoy the game without the lore stuff.

I am in your boat but I am doing my best to soak in as much as I can of the lore. To me, card game theme is important to me. I can't play a game that I am not interested in the theme for, regardless of how fun or sound the mechanics are.

Another reason I am very excited for this game and I hope it goes far is because I got into the LCG game late after all of the current LCG's were released. It will be nice to get a card game that I dont have an initial investment of $200+ for. I can get 2 core sets and be caught up with plenty of room for future packs. I have a family with a little girl and another little boy on the way in June. Dropping alot of money on cards is not an option for me.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Another reason I am very excited for this game and I hope it goes far is because I got into the LCG game late after all of the current LCG's were released. It will be nice to get a card game that I dont have an initial investment of $200+ for.

I'm seeing your join date as April, 2013 so presumably you mean other than Netrunner and Star Wars?

I know what you mean though, I've got a 3-year-old here and it puts limits on both your time and game budget :)

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
I know what you both mean. I've got a 2 & 7 year old. 7 year old is pretty self sufficient now and can and will quietly watch us game. She wants to play but is not quite at the reading stage yet. 2 year old on the other hand just wants to touch all of my shiny pretty cards. Makes it hard to find the time.