Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New to 40K

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

I'm seeing your join date as April, 2013 so presumably you mean other than Netrunner and Star Wars?

I know what you mean though, I've got a 3-year-old here and it puts limits on both your time and game budget :)

I joined DB but went on hiatus when my daughter was born so I was completely away from all FFG gaming for almost a year so I missed both launches of those games. When I got back into gaming, I believe the first netrunner tour was running but I am not to sure on timeline. lol

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Ah, ok. Still, they would only have had a limited amount to catch up on. On the other hand, you may just not be into those games either.

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
Oh I dig them for sure. I have the most aGoT cards of them all but I also invest in Netrunner. But as I said before. Stay at home wife/mom, 1 baby, 1 baby on the way.

I can buy cards few and far between. lol.

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts
As someone with two kids myself, I know your situation. I used to play CCGs all the time when I was a single guy, but now gaming time is at a premium. Still, unlikely my younger days, I can now afford to buy the games I want to a reasonable degree.

One of the reasons I'm excited about this game is that its the first one to be released since my return to card gaming, so I can get in on the ground level with it. The LCG model is a lot easier to keep up with than the CCG one, and online shopping means I don't have to leave the house to keep up to date.

Family life permitting, I even hope to make a tourney or two a year as well.
  • agktmte and wyrmw00d like this

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
I used to be a big tabletop minis gamer. I played Warmachine, Infinity, etc... for around 8 years. Now I've migrated to cards because it takes less time and money. Time is really the bigger factor, it's the more scarce of the two and I only get one evening per week to play games.

Thank goodness I can work on decks or read articles during the rest of the week :)
  • Zari likes this

wyrmw00d

wyrmw00d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

As someone with two kids myself, I know your situation. I used to play CCGs all the time when I was a single guy, but now gaming time is at a premium. Still, unlikely my younger days, I can now afford to buy the games I want to a reasonable degree.

One of the reasons I'm excited about this game is that its the first one to be released since my return to card gaming, so I can get in on the ground level with it. The LCG model is a lot easier to keep up with than the CCG one, and online shopping means I don't have to leave the house to keep up to date.

Family life permitting, I even hope to make a tourney or two a year as well.

I think a lot of potential Conquest fans are in the same boat. 40K is a franchise that's been out for a long time, and a lot of its fans are probably at that stage of their lives with families of their own and limited gaming time. Though I'm an avid tabletop player, as well as a player of AGoT and A:NR, something's gotta give when this game comes out. Unfortunately, it's probably going to be Netrunner, as my friends all play AGoT and tabletop will always be my preferred method of gaming.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I think a lot of potential Conquest fans are in the same boat. 40K is a franchise that's been out for a long time, and a lot of its fans are probably at that stage of their lives with families of their own and limited gaming time. Though I'm an avid tabletop player, as well as a player of AGoT and A:NR, something's gotta give when this game comes out. Unfortunately, it's probably going to be Netrunner, as my friends all play AGoT and tabletop will always be my preferred method of gaming.

I feel like Netrunner may get cut here as well. I haven't played it in a couple of months, the only time we usually bring it out is when someone new shows up and wants to play and the guys who've shown up at our group that really love it have tended to wander off and join a dedicated Netrunner group instead. Not that it's a bad game of course, we just have too many card games going on. I'll keep collecting at least until the faction boxes are done (to keep things even) or Gencon, whichever comes last. But once 40k: Conquest and Doomtown hit I think I'm going to have to cut something. If the new games show potential at all then I feel like it's unfair to cut them without giving them a chance to develop a bit. No LCG is at its best with just a tiny card pool. I hate to do it but game time and money is not unlimited!
  • wyrmw00d likes this