Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New FAQ

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Whizzwang

Whizzwang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
It looks like they're closing down on mass wounding / board sweeping.

konx

konx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

It looks like they're closing down on mass wounding / board sweeping.

That would be a reasonable assumption if they were also restricting, at the same time, some of the real sweeper that this game has (read: Plague Stone, for example).

The Ravager can sweep only at one story, and only in defense.

Not mentioning the fact that, as far as I know, he was never in any winning list for ages.

I really don't get it, mah.

Konx

Whizzwang

Whizzwang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
Plague stone sweeps the entire board so has an inherent downside - good use of ravager just rips your oponent's board presence apart.

Granted it's not seen much top tier play, so it really shouldn't matter that it's been restricted then :)

I imagine it's just part of some fire control at FFG. There'll be a reason somewhere.

Kwakkie

Kwakkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
You can find explanations here: http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4753

orso

orso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Rats no longer banned - very cool! :)
Negotium no longer restricted - very cool!
Maggah Bird no longer banned but new cardtext - good that it's playable officially again, but the new effect...?! we will see how it works...
Descendant no longer restricted - hmm...?!?
MoM restricted - finally!
Interstellar Migration - yeah! absolutely necessary!!!
Temple of Ryleh resricted - well, ok, mekes sense.
Ravanger restricted - :o why?? (I don't like to see coreset cards restricted!) looks not that powerful to me and since it's a 4 cost (okay, reducable) but not a early game card and there are ways to handle it! (This decision I don't agree with!) :(
Alternativ eHistorian restricted - okay, makes sense, too.
obsessive Insomniac rerstricted, too - somehow it makes sense, but I don't think it was necessary to restrict this card (IMHO)

This point from the new FAQ
A card that is currently revealed by
a card effect cannot be revealed by
another card effect.

Oh no, Peter Clover and some other nice Syndicate effects can't be combined... sadly! :(

The new Questions and Answers in the end of the FAQ are good examples and clarify some points. :) (Thanks for adding them FFG.)

konx

konx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

You can find explanations here: http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4753

Thanks for the link!

Basically, the explanation behind every move is "it will let the metagame grow".
I was expecting something a bit more explanatory, but ok. Time to go back to building, apparently :P

Konx

WasteMaLife

WasteMaLife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
master of myths / Alternative Historian.. what a shock! Never saw that coming.

Interstellar Migration had to get hit.. or people would have a fit. So it and the FAQ about events from discard yiths are hit hard... but the deck is still very strong.

Awesome to get rats and birds back!!

Temple of R’lyeh is a bit of a surprise.... I never really saw this abused... like it made a good serpent deck.. but was it really that powerful?

Descendent of Eibon... off restricted.. that is just *****

WasteMaLife

WasteMaLife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

This point from the new FAQ

A card that is currently revealed by a card effect cannot be revealed by another card effect.

Oh no, Peter Clover and some other nice Syndicate effects can't be combined... sadly!

so....

Posted Image

for example.. what happens his effect would just fissile?

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

so....

for example.. what happens his effect would just fissile?

Here is his ability:
Action: Choose a character committed to a story and reveal the top card of your deck. If the cost of the revealed card is lower than the cost of the chosen character, uncommit that character. Then, either put the revealed card on the bottom of your deck or discard it. (Limit once per story, per turn.)
Yes, it seems so. Since the effect of Prism is a passive, it would always be active when Clover tries to trigger. Since his ability references "the revealed card" and no card was revealed by his ability, it cannot resolve. Technically you can trigger it as long as you can choose a character, but it wouldn't do anything. The same thing would happen if Martin Herring were in play.

Edit: I'm double-checking on this... Double-checked and confirmed by Damon.

Whizzwang

Whizzwang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Here is his ability:
Action: Choose a character committed to a story and reveal the top card of your deck. If the cost of the revealed card is lower than the cost of the chosen character, uncommit that character. Then, either put the revealed card on the bottom of your deck or discard it. (Limit once per story, per turn.)
Yes, it seems so. Since the effect of Prism is a passive, it would always be active when Clover tries to trigger. Since his ability references "the revealed card" and no card was revealed by his ability, it cannot resolve. Technically you can trigger it as long as you can choose a character, but it wouldn't do anything. The same thing would happen if Martin Herring were in play.

I'm double-checking on this...

You are quite correct.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
so jeremys world deck now has historian, festival, and Interstellar Migration restricted so has to lose two of those is it enough ?

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

so jeremys world deck now has historian, festival, and Interstellar Migration restricted so has to lose two of those is it enough ?

Without Festival and Historian, it's harder to feed the discard to get the ball rolling initially, but it still can start the response trigger train.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
it also has other cards that let you cheat cards into discard, non as good as historian but I know they have like a guy that you pay one and discard a card to draw he will probably replace historian and their is other cards that discard top card of both players decks, won't get in exactly what you want but can get cards into discard pile, still very strong but I guess if it takes like 6 turns to win with its balance and fair and doesnt just straight up get rid of it.

orso

orso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

[...] The same thing would happen if Martin Herring were in play.

yes, unfortunately it's true. :(
No mean Clover & Herring Combos... :(

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts
It's also worth pointing out that Hall of Champions can now fetch the Mage's Machinations for some spot character removal. Now that Descendant is unrestricted, it can essentially fetch several decent 3 cost characters. You will need a way to protect Hall, or deal with supports, but a neutral deck is becoming more and more possible.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
neutral deck has been viable for a while, it is just way way stronger now.

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
My New FAQ reactions

Unbanned:
Disease Sewer Rats – Glad to finally see this little guy back in action. May it never leave our graces again. J
Magah Birds – After 5 long years… they finally took my original suggestion!!! (not that Brad or Damon likely even knew of my suggestion but… hey, great minds am I right?) Sadly, there presence in deck lists probably won’t change a whole lot, but at least they’re an option again. As for people wondering why it’s on the restricted list… I assume it’s merely an cautionary step and to provide a potential choice between Fruit Loops and Pink Eye. Stygian wins most battles, but I rather have a choice than not.

New to the Restricted List:
Obsessive Insomniac – Long time coming. The card is absurd, and only due to the weakness of miskatonic as a faction has it managed to get by for so many years.
Temple of R’lyeh – When this card was first released… I remember emailing Damon, freaking out over how strong it was. Admittedly, I over reacted a little back then, but Temple remained as a card capable of creating some serious NPE. With it and Khopesh on the list along with Por XV 14:19, Cthulhu no longer has single, obvious direction to go. Good pick for the list IMO.
Master of the Myths – Regarded as the “best blocker” in the game… it probably deserves a slot on its’ merits. Add in what it did for Yithians, and you have what was probably an unregrettable choice for Brad and Damon.
Alternative Historian – While I guess that most people assume she earned a slot is because she appeared in several top deck lists over the past 2 years, and while I’m certain that at least played a small part, I have a different theory. Historian was designed in the era of an ever increasingly fast metagame that was starting to spiral out of control. To counter things like… turn 2 ancient ones and other resource ramp infused strategies, miskatonic needed a way to keep up. AH was one of those answers. Now that game is being slowed down… she’s just too good. She was top tier when things were crazy, now… she’d be a bit OP no? Regardless, having to choose between her, curator and Insomniac (and even Scholar) puts some real choice back into deck building for miskatonic. Which is nice.
Interstellar Migration – I don’t think we’ve seen the last of IM, but separating it from MoM, Festival, Historian, Shock, Jamburg, and Doppleganger gives it a chance of not being broken. Hopefully it’ll fall into the nice niche of, “still useable, but risky.”
Ravager – I’m as surprised as most when I saw that choice. However, many seem puzzled as to the “why.”
Look at what the rest of their choices over the last few faqs did… they wound the clock back to about what the metagame was a few years ago before resource ramp, before yithians. The golden age where nearly everything was viable and cards like Ravager, who are really good at creating an NPE on their own were at the top of the food chain. My guess is, their internal testing showed this result as well. Add in that it’s near on par with Logan and was the #1 target for shock decks in terms of shear useability… Ravager earns his spot. Toss in that casual/new players who observe the B/R list can no longer put (imo) the best core combination together might help improve early experience game inbalances.

Unrestricted:
Descendant of Eibon – Yes!!! I dreamed for a day when we’d see Jim’s card off the list. Poor guy has been through so much over the years, but I’m happy for Jim and happy for those that enjoy using his card (which yes, includes myself. Hehe)
Negotium - I… this is the only choice I’m not a fan of. Unrestricted negotium puts a warp on the entire deckbuilding process. The reasons it was taken off didn’t align with the reasons it was put on. So, considered me puzzled as to why, a card that creates more problems than half the cards on the restricted list, combined, is being let off. So maybe someone can explain that one to me.

Rulings/errata:

- Hall of Champions fix – hooray! They remembered! With Eibon off the leash though… Halls could be a real thing… add in Negotium and… wow. Neat.

- Revealed cards – I… huh? This is one of those things that makes the game more complicated for seemingly no reason.

- Events Triggering from discard – Unlike the previous topic, this ruling makes gameplay more intuitive. Yes, it has some unwanted side effects, but those can be fixed later if it proves to be too much a problem. I approve.

Conclusion :
All in all, steps made here put the metagame into a very diverse place and it’s hard to ask for more than that. So, major props to the FFG team on that. However, 3 major concerns remain for me (so far):

1. Yithians – they’re vulnerable and are being forced to evolve, but they still have some teeth. Need more testing to see if they’ll still be problem though.

2. Negotium – It will bend the metagame to its’ will as it invalidates many cards and strategies. Such a shame.

3. Ancient Ones – Cthylla and Friends are still on the loose. Before they were too slow to keep up but with a better paced metagame and now negotium crushing most rush strategies, decks will likely once again be require to have a plan for the big beasties.
  • WWDrakey, Danigral, Jhaelen and 3 others like this

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
First thoughts about the newest FAQ: I personally can't believe negotium and the descendant were taken off the restricted list! Both are stupid good and both have earned their places on the list imho. I've been playing with negotium as my restricted card of choice for the past couple years so I have quite a bit of experience with it and it def belongs on that list, but it will be interesting to see how the game reacts to it being off the list. WTF!?! Ravager got added to the list!?! Not the smartest choice in my opinion. He really wasn't a threat. A senseless restriction to me. Yithians have been toned down a notch or two but they are most certainly still playable. Master of the myths needed to be put on the list a long time ago, I knew it was only a matter of time. Overall I like the changes, but negotium and descendant should still be on the list imho and ravager should have never been added.
  • Danigral, orso and WasteMaLife like this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
the thing i see with negotium is if many people plan on running it then it will be useless in many matchups. i think they did enough to yithians i didn't want them to make them unplayable just not a negative experience now i think it will be another comptetive deck but you have a chance to beat atleast.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts
I recall at least one strong combo featuring the Ravager. I don't mind it being on the restricted list: Since I still play with a restricted card pool almost exclusively, I regularly see this card and I always hate to face it! It's also the #1 problem card for new, core-set-only players.

I'm also unsure about Descendant and Negotium. The former is still my default choice when my deck isn't built around one of the other restricted cards.
Negotium, I still haven't used _ever_, but I've faced it and dislike its effect on games (probably because I have a weak sport for rush decks...).

I agree with all other choices, although it saddens me to see Miskatonic being hit with the nerf-bat after it had its short spot in the limelight.