Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Regionals: Dream Wizards, Rockville, MD - May 17

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

We had 8 players come out. Less than hoped for, but still more than the store championship and also more than the Regional last year. Slowly but surely, the area meta is growing. Tom and his crew came down for the weekend, and we had a great time afterward drinking beers and playing Cards Against Humanity at a local dive. Joe (Badash) and Corey came down from Scranton, and we had a few local guys as well. Last minute a bud of mine who mostly plays Thrones but to whom I've taught the game, said he wanted to play, so I built him a deck and he ended up winning. Some people have a mind for these games...

Anyway, we had a good variety of decks. Top 4 seeded players after swiss were:

• Tom C. - Yog yithian mill
  • Myself - mono-Yog with a splash of Cthulhu
  • Mike M. - Yog yithian mill
  • Seth L. - mono-Syndicate

Top 4 I played Mike, which was a rematch from the swiss where I also won. He got a little unlucky to get his 3rd Interstellar Migration near the bottom of his deck, and the game went back and forth with me putting Snow Graves, him Frozen Timing it, me Frozen Timing the Frozen Time, etc. Near the end, he had milled me down to 4 cards, and he had 6-ish, 3 of which were Migrations. He had both his FTs attached and his 3rd in the discard and I played Opening the Limbo Gate to put into play my Constricting Elder Thing to pop my own Snow Graves to my hand and played it again, then triggered my 3 Yithian Scouts to mill him down to 3. His turn he draws 2 and I trigger Yithian Scouts again for the win.

Somehow Seth was able to beat Tom in his top 4 game. My understanding is it came down to rush and Isaac Miles, and Tom getting unlucky on his mulligan and draws. If he drew more removal to consistently keep Miles off the board, it would have been a different game. But variance is the one and only weakness of yithian mill.

I played Seth in the finals, and I'm pretty confident because he is fairly new to the game and I knew his deck since I built it for him pretty much last minute. I thought I'd be able to manage the board pretty well with the AOs I managed to get out, but it turns out Peter Clover is good at what he does. Oh, and David Pan ain't bad either. And oh yeah, O'Bannion's Inner Council. We both got 2 stories but by the end he just had more bodies than I could deal with, especially when he drew Peter Clover twice again after getting Pushed twice. Sheesh. Well, congrats to Seth, the new-comer, the dream-crusher, for coming last minute to the Regionals and causing weeping and gnashing of teeth.

• WWDrakey, jasonconlon and BeldVanGuard like this

BeldVanGuard

BeldVanGuard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
So even after the new restrictions Yithian Mill was still that powerful eh?

Scary to hear....*Looks back at his deck* damnit.....time to put some more goodies in

HomerJ

HomerJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Sooooo many questions.

Yith Mill still good, even with restrictions and people playing tech against it?
Mono-Syndicate: VERY interested in the list...will we get to see it?
Yog/Splash: Is it similar to the Pacta Arcana:Pacific Rim list? If so, we've been playing a version of that deck to great success, and would like to hear more!

Congrats to the players and the champion!

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

So even after the new restrictions Yithian Mill was still that powerful eh?

Scary to hear....*Looks back at his deck* damnit.....time to put some more goodies in

Yes it is still powerful, because the "y-train" response engine was left very much intact. All it takes is winning one arcane challenge to set it off. If you don't have a way to interrupt it - and there are very few - then it is hard to stop, and you will just watch them trigger response after response until they get 3 Migrations in their discard, and bam, your deck is gone.

Sooooo many questions.

Yith Mill still good, even with restrictions and people playing tech against it?
Mono-Syndicate: VERY interested in the list...will we get to see it?
Yog/Splash: Is it similar to the Pacta Arcana:Pacific Rim list? If so, we've been playing a version of that deck to great success, and would like to hear more!

There isn't a whole lot of tech against it, there are mostly ways to slow it down. I see the environment right now as RPS: Mill beats control beats rush beats mill. The mono-Syndicate deck was a rush deck with a lot of tempo control and mostly one answer for mill. If I had more time to fine-tune it, it may have been better. Also, this deck didn't have Snow Graves because they were in my deck. :D

My Yog deck was very similar to the Pacific Rim list with a few changes, such as including Snow Graves and Umr At-Tawil for anti-mill. I mess around with a few iterations before coming back to the core. I tried Yog/Cthulhu to use Flooded Vault to fish out Snow Graves of Called by Azathoth on demand; I tried Yog/ST using the good 3 cost dudes for character control and card advantage; lastly, I landed on Yog/Syndicate in order to utilize both Snow Graves and Isaac, and my favorite card combo atm Twilight Gate and Hack Journalist. But when Seth said he wanted to play and wanted a good deck, I stripped Syndicate out and went back to Yog.
  • HomerJ likes this

Karrius

Karrius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
Mike M. here. Thanks for the great tournament!

Both games I lost were to Danigral. I play my mill fairly aggressively - if I can dig, I will dig, and I will get to the bottom of my deck ans kill asap. This basically bit me in the ass both games against him. The first game he used some amazing tech to knock me down, although I still feel I could have got back on my feet had I played smarter. I hadn't practiced against cards like his, though.

Second game against him my migration was I think on the second-to-bottom card of my deck, and had it not been there, I would have been a lot better off. Again, not saying it was my fault - I could have used Faceless Abductors and Pushed Into the Beyond to shuffle my deck a lot sooner than I did after some migrations, remaining with more cards in deck. I also used Frozen Time way, way too early. I got outplayed, and I blame my aggressiveness, which can score wins before my opponent can react, but isn't exactly the most reliable way to go. I really need to learn how to play a more slow, steady game, rather than try to go off all at once.

Which isn't to toss on his victory - I got outplayed, pure and simple. I feel like had I been more cautious the mill still could have won, and it's still a major deck that really dominates.

Also really did wish I had put the 1x of Cthylla in my deck, like I kept joking I was going to the night before...
  • Danigral likes this

Lyk

Lyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey, Clément here, the tournament was great, as the after, we were not many but the ambience was nice. It's was my first CoC tournament and i really enjoyed it,

I played a Mi-Go/Night deck that I did with the help of Danigral, thanks to him, it's was a good deck, but not againts rush deck and the Night Combo was way to long to place, so yeah, Night was not so great, but I learned a lot.

I played againts Corey, Seth and Rett ( damn your cats ) even if I loss, was nice loses :D
Againts Seth the Mi-Go/Night combo was at 95% and needed only one more turn to maybe win, but nope, nope nope nope.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who were really impress by Seth's performance, he tooks time to play but the way that he understand the game was amazing, he totaly deserve his first place.

Anyway thanks for the Tournament !

PS : Why I can't open a deck topic ?
PS2 : Sorry for my english, did my best :(
  • Danigral and jasonconlon like this

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Thanks Mike and Clement. I appreciate you all coming out to help make it a good tournament.

@Mike - if your deck has Yithian Scouts, with or without other splashable Cthulhu cards, Cthylla is a definite x1. :)

@Clement - your English is great, and I'm glad you had a good time. Your Mi-gos are fearsome, but unfortunately in this environment with a ton of removal and poisonous yithian mill, it is probably too slow to build up.

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Good day all.

First and foremost... I'm sorry. For a few things.

1) For allowing the Y-Train to exist and unleashing this plague upon the world. 

2) For my amateurish recording abilities.

3) That only 2 complete videos were able to posted of the regional event.

In any case, it was a wonderful event. Hosted by Dream Wizards, and I would like to thank them again for allowing me to try. :)

Check out my youtube channel for the videos: https://www.youtube....lwKM2e9ed1WVlLA

And of course, congrats (again) to Seth for taking home the top prize. 

Hopefully we'll see you ALL in PA come end of June. :)

• WWDrakey likes this

Lyk

Lyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

You put the wrong link Tom, here the good one. https://www.youtube....lwKM2e9ed1WVlLA

Anyway i've seen the videos, feeling bad that everyone else got their full names but me, sorry Tom, if it's not too late you can put mine.

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Thanks Lyk!

Hit me with a pm if you want and I can add it. 

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

okay I am curious since I am new to this games community what is up with the harry houdini card? like tom your reaction and I heard from another forum that like someone refused to play it or something I don't remember. Is their like a weird back story with the guy that designed it or something? 

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

nevermind actually read your videos comment ha.... that is very unfortunate... 

HomerJ

HomerJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Any chance we're going to see those decklists?
Also, since Tom is "King of the Y-Train", is he going to help share ways to beat it? My group refused to play it on premise alone. And we all splash what we consider "tech cards" against it. But what is the play?

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Hey Homer, yeah, I'll try to type them up soon. I've just been pretty busy. Also the deckbuilder doesn't seem to be working right now, so I'll have to actually type it out.

There are very few ways to beat y-train. If it goes off, that's it. You can at best slow it down and rush for the win.

• HomerJ likes this

Lomiat

Lomiat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Beating the Y-train?

1) Don't let your opponent win Arcane struggles. This means, kill characters, get better Arcane icons into play, and/or remove the Arcane struggles entirely with Alternative Historian.

2) Snow Graves. Expect answers to Snow Graves. But make your opponent work to dig and pay for the answers to Snow Graves.

3) Rush stories. Even the best Yithian mill decks tend to win on turn 3. Good rush decks can easily win on Turn 2.

4) Forgotten Shoggoth and/or Isaac Miles. Though I'm not 100% sure Isaac Miles works the way I'm thinking, these cards prevent certain cards from hitting your discard pile, meaning they keep you from getting milled by a big Interstellar Migration hit. Of course, you can expect your opponent to want to steal them from you with Prof. Nathaniel Peaslee, which leads us to...

5) Nathaniel Peaslee. Not sure how to win Arcane struggles if you don't know what character your opponent is going to play? Just steal the character.

6) Lucas Tetlow. Speaking of stealing, steal the support cards the Yithians want to play. Snatching the Lost City of Pnakotus will slow them down quite a good deal, especially now that a bunch of the other feeders have been restricted.

7) Immurement. Yithians don't trigger their tricks very well from under a domain. Also, they don't really have much to do with the extra resources, so those are wasted cards for them (after you accelerate their early game resourcing).

8) Return to hand (or shuffle into deck) effects are better against Yithians than kill effects. Killing Yithians just feeds their Interstellar Migration. Returning them to hand slows them down.

9) Prepared Alienist and Flux Stabilizer. It's easier to plan against Arcane struggles if no one's jumping into play. Also, these slow down the Yithian scouts.

10) Play Yithian mill. The mirror match is a pretty nasty mind game as both players have to be careful not to feed the opposing discard pile so that it measures anything short of the killing blow. Lucas Tetlow is key here (for Snow Graves), which is a big part of the reason Jeremy Zwirn ran Miskatonic in his Yithians at Worlds 2013.

The deck is still very good, but the last FAQ's recent hit to the various feeders means that the deck is slower and needs to be built without a number of cards that are also brilliant in just about every situation. That means it's more fragile against anything that puts it off its game, so if you can get ahead, gun for the win. The thing about the Yithian mill is that you're always on a timer, and while you might want to play defensively, you can't afford to sit idle. You have to play aggressively, holding onto *just enough* to prevent some big hit.

• Danigral, Jhaelen, HomerJ and 2 others like this

HomerJ

HomerJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Brilliant! Thanks for taking the time to write that up.

I had forgotten about Alienist (easy to add to any list) and the MU options certainly put them higher on the list. Playing MU in any list with Tetlow, Atlantis, Flux Stabilizer, will give good game, and since they tend to rush quickly, perhaps an updated version of "Research and Destroy" is an option.

Heck, I love playing Explorers. Maybe that build is the way to go. . . . .

Nah.

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

There are weaknesses to a lot of these because they do not really shut off the engine of yithian mill. Tetlow needs tokens, and Lost Oracle still can do it's thing. Flux and Alienist assume that they are using jumpers. They also don't really shut off Yithian Scouts since they still get to mill your deck 1 per turn per Scout. There are still lots of characters that can win arcane challenges, and unfortunately Alternative Historian is now restricted (ironically one of the best tools for Yithian mill as well as one of the best against it).

The bottom line is all answers must be drawn into and played. The cards for mill only have to hit the discard somehow. More barriers can slow it down, but if the mill deck gets its Frozen Times and Pusheds and Abductors to deal with the threats, all it takes is one arcane challenge to go off. Whereas for the person playing against mill, they have to keep the threats out and still get to 15 tokens. 

• badash56, TheJoker and HomerJ like this

konx

konx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Can someone post a list of this new Y-train?

I am still of the opinion that a regular rush deck should win easily, at least with the build of the Y-train I tried. But obviously maybe other lists are much better than mine, so if someone could give some hints they would be appreciated!

cheers

Konx

Whizzwang

Whizzwang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Snow graves doesn't stop it since the last FAQ as actions no longer leave the discard pile when played

The only solid option you have now is to make sure you're the one winning Arcane struggles. Character theft (Stygian Eye etc. Yog Peaslee is a fairly weak option as they have a yog deck so just give him back to you) or Targetted removal (Kopesh / Temple etc)

A mono syndicate deck running around Big Dave Lo Pan and Parallel Universe CAN work, but those Yithian Librarians can get pretty high skill

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Snow Graves prevents Interstellar Migration from going to the bottom of the deck for its cost.