Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Origins 2014

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

Letux

Letux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1590 posts
I'm planning on zipping down for Saturday at least and may try to drag some other Erie folk with me. I was walking around Origins last year with decks and couldn't find anyone else with cards at all!
  • Krey likes this

FlavaDave

FlavaDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Where abouts in the convention hall do you plan on hosting the event? I don't think I'll be heading out for the week for Origins but i may just decide to drive out on Saturday morning to play some Star Wars. It's only like 3 hours from Pittsburgh and i have some friends who live out in Columbus. Would i just be able to purchase a general admission badge Saturday morning and pay the entry fee at the door?

FlavaDave

FlavaDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Where abouts in the convention hall do you plan on hosting the event? I don't think I'll be heading out for the week for Origins but i may just decide to drive out on Saturday morning to play some Star Wars. It's only like 3 hours from Pittsburgh and i have some friends who live out in Columbus. Would i just be able to purchase a general admission badge Saturday morning and pay the entry fee at the door?

Also, would anyone care if i brought my son with me? He's not very good but he knows how to play. He's 12 and actually did play in one of the store championships with me. It was the one America won at GASP in Pittsburgh.
  • fliptheforce likes this

Krey

Krey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
I assume we will be assigned some tables in the card gaming area, when I know more I will share it. You can purchase a 1-day badge and the event ticket at the door and then play that day.

Bring your son, the more the merrier. Sounds like he is more than skilled enough to participate in an event like this.

FlavaDave

FlavaDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

I assume we will be assigned some tables in the card gaming area, when I know more I will share it. You can purchase a 1-day badge and the event ticket at the door and then play that day.

Bring your son, the more the merrier. Sounds like he is more than skilled enough to participate in an event like this.

Yeah the wife is generally more accepting of me going if i take my son along.

FlavaDave

FlavaDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Any idea on total number of players?  Prizes?

Vorrt

Vorrt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

i believe I saw that the cap was 48 (Krey, correct me if I'm wrong).  Don't know anything about prizes.

FlavaDave

FlavaDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Realisticly how many players do you think will show up?  It's about a 3 hour drive from Pittsburgh.  I'd hate to drive out and 5 people show up (like our last store championship or 2 people show up for the last game night tournament).

romo

romo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Realisticly how many players do you think will show up?  It's about a 3 hour drive from Pittsburgh.  I'd hate to drive out and 5 people show up (like our last store championship or 2 people show up for the last game night tournament).

Well, I expect more than 5, but I don't think it will be a huge event or anything.  Me and some other local Cbus players, Krey, Colsanders, America, Yeezus?, BobaFett?, a few of the Michigan crew probably for sure.  Hopefully Letux and some Erie guys. You and your son.  If you are coming from Pittsburgh you should drag hoopjones along with you!

Big or not, an annual Origins event needs to happen, and we've got to start somewhere.  It should be a good day of cards plus community to make it worth the trip.  Hopefully we can get FFG's attention to build on their presence at the con next year.  

If anyone is on the fence about coming due to hotel expense or something like that, they should PM me.

Vorrt

Vorrt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Most I can hope for from my end is myself and one other.

Sounds like we could hit high teens, maybe break 20

Krey

Krey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

There is a cap based on Origins table space.  I dont think we will hit it, but if we do I will figure something out on the fly.  We wont be turning people away.

I will update with prize info soon.  I did ask and FFG said no to a worlds bye. 

• America likes this

Vorrt

Vorrt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

I believe I still have a few spare Han's from SC season, I could add a play set or two into the mix.

• Krey likes this

America

America

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

There is a cap based on Origins table space. I dont think we will hit it, but if we do I will figure something out on the fly. We wont be turning people away.

I will update with prize info soon. I did ask and FFG said no to a worlds bye.

I would have settled for a GenCon bye.

Thanks for organizing this, Cramer.

Also, I believe today is the last day to preregister for origins.

FlavaDave

FlavaDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Well, I expect more than 5, but I don't think it will be a huge event or anything.  Me and some other local Cbus players, Krey, Colsanders, America, Yeezus?, BobaFett?, a few of the Michigan crew probably for sure.  Hopefully Letux and some Erie guys. You and your son.  If you are coming from Pittsburgh you should drag hoopjones along with you!

Big or not, an annual Origins event needs to happen, and we've got to start somewhere.  It should be a good day of cards plus community to make it worth the trip.  Hopefully we can get FFG's attention to build on their presence at the con next year.  

If anyone is on the fence about coming due to hotel expense or something like that, they should PM me.

Yeah sure.  Hoop is too busy doing everything other than playing Star Wars.  :lol:

Krey

Krey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Getting the prize pool set, waiting to hear back from FFG on what they are sending.  I hope they dont ship it on one of their boats...

I will donate a few things out of my extras and people are welcome to do the same, though it shouldnt be needed.  Everyone will get at least a participation prize. 

FlavaDave

FlavaDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Getting the prize pool set, waiting to hear back from FFG on what they are sending.  I hope they dont ship it on one of their boats...

I will donate a few things out of my extras and people are welcome to do the same, though it shouldnt be needed.  Everyone will get at least a participation prize. 

If i include myself and my son, i invited a total of 7 people from Pittsburgh.  I got one no.  I got one definitely interested (mossberg on these here boards) but alas the ever Quixotic Hoopjones initially expressed an interest then quickly replied that he has pinball finals that day.  :huh:  I'm still waiting to hear back from 2 others.  So for now I have 2 yes, 2 no, 1 maybe and 2 yet to respond.

America

America

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

I will donate something sweet - maybe a bottle of booze or a board game. 

Vorrt

Vorrt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

I will donate something sweet - maybe a bottle of booze or a board game.

The finest booze America has to offer perhaps?

• America likes this

Krey

Krey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

FFG really stepped up.

For those of you who couldnt make a Regional we will have some spot-glass affiliation cards and damage tokens.  Some playmats, at least 6 different promo cards, several deck boxes.  That is in addition to the other things I have rounded up.  Everyone will go home happy.

If you want a shot at some rare regionals swag or need to top off your promo collection, Origins will be the place to be.

• holliday88, cparadis, KennedyHawk and 2 others like this

Vorrt

Vorrt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts

FFG really stepped up.

For those of you who couldnt make a Regional we will have some spot-glass affiliation cards and damage tokens.  Some playmats, at least 6 different promo cards, several deck boxes.  That is in addition to the other things I have rounded up.  Everyone will go home happy.

If you want a shot at some rare regionals swag or need to top off your promo collection, Origins will be the place to be.

Quoting this just so I can like this post a second time.

• KennedyHawk and Vorrt like this