Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

GTG Call of Cthulhu Store Championship 2014

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

LordTeacup

LordTeacup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

We know for sure that we have 8 players which is for us a good number so any more than that is great.  If 4-6 more players turn up as the comments suggest then the day would certainly be something to build on with perhaps quarterly events.

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts
Just to double check - the start is at 12 as given on the front page and not the normal time of 11:30?

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Not looking good for me. Still waiting to hear from my lift but I have my excuse for my boss all prepped and ready.

I will be gutted if I miss this. :(

Arrdet

Arrdet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Thirteen players.  Absolutely fantastic atmosphere and a real variety of decks on the table.  The winner was Stefan who is always great to have at our events, his deck was a Syndicate build that used David Pan to muscle in the struggles. 

Second was Dan Knight with Twilight Lodge and I was third with Syndicate skill reduction.

Fourth place went to Lee (NuFenix) who abused Khopesh with Miskatonic.

Lord Teacup caused upsets with his Polar Byakhee deck!

• HomerJ and Obtuse like this

Whizzwang

Whizzwang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Truly epic day of gaming. 

Cannot believe my only loss was to Platty.

New found respect for the Twilight Lodge now though. they have so many answer cars it's crazy.

Awesome moment of the day was facing down my 5th Kopesh in a mono Cth deck popping Ritual of Exclusion to put all my dead guys back in my hand. 

I also taught someone to respect the Black Dog...the hard way. 

Oppt Turn 2: I assign this guy to a story
Me: Black Dog
Oppt: ooooh that's a bit good.

Oppt Turn 3: I assign this guy to a story~
Me: Black Dog
Oppt: I have terror icons
Me: I have willpower

Oppt: It's got willpower as well?

Oppt Turn 4: I assign this guy to a story

Me: Black dog
Oppt: AHA! I have 2 combat icons too
Me: Fast

Oppt: *$$"* DOG!!!!!

• WWDrakey, Jhaelen, NuFenix and 4 others like this

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts

Great day of gaming, my lunatics did me proud.

• Arrdet likes this

LordTeacup

LordTeacup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

My Polar Byakhee deck scored another scalp after the event by handing Arrdets ass to him.  ByaKHEEEEEEEE!

• Obtuse likes this

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts
Really good day overall, hopefully it bodes well for Cthulu gaming in general - much as I love Thrones some variety is always a good thing imo. Thanks as always to everyone at GTG for hosting another great event!

I will write up a short tournament report later. I have a feeling Steve might be getting a T-Shirt with a printed copy of "On the Lam" on it - that card did a lot of work!

Edit - deck list and tournament report are given in a new thread on this forum.
  • LordTeacup likes this

Whizzwang

Whizzwang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

I've sub'd the mono ST deck I ran to the deck forum if people want to look at it once it gets approved.

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

My Polar Byakhee deck scored another scalp after the event by handing Arrdets ass to him.  ByaKHEEEEEEEE!

Or as it should be called, your By-Polar deck ;)

Thanks to GTG for hosting the event. Congratulations to Stefan for sealing his victory, and being my only loss.

I was pleasantly surprised to make 4th, proving that I am better at this than Thrones. All I need are more Cthulhu tournaments to confirm it.

Khopesh is such a dirty, dirty card, and I'm not ashamed to have used it along with 12 Toughness characters :D

Much like Dan, I'll be uploading my deck soon.

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts

I was playing a hastur-MU lunatic deck, the idea was to use the MU lunatics investigation icons and low cost for an early game rush and then use my hastur lunatics to send my MU lunatics insane to put successes on stories late game without requiring struggles.

It didn't work as intended as I only placed 1 success on a story using lunatics throughout the tourney.

It didn't do too bad, I only won half my tourney games but I got a nice winning streak in my casual games.

My favourite moment was when I got the deranged diva + arkham asylum + San servolo combo into play.

My worst bit was when I completely misplayed my 2nd turn against whizzwang, I had 2 domains with two resources on them, I could have played Jeff harson and arkham asylum which would have let me use Jeff's ability then attack with him. His ability would have triggered the event that makes you choose between sacrificing a character or discarding two cards, thus saving Jeff's life and causing whizzwang to lose 3 cards. Instead I just played Jeff and attacked with him :( there was nothing else I could have used my domains for but to play the asylum, that was a very costly mistake for me. I also misread his hermetic seal and thought it would stop my stygian eyes, I didn't play 2 of them for that reason.

I prefer to think of it as a learning experience, getting my mistakes out of the way before the regional.

Whizzwang

Whizzwang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

I was playing a hastur-MU lunatic deck, the idea was to use the MU lunatics investigation icons and low cost for an early game rush and then use my hastur lunatics to send my MU lunatics insane to put successes on stories late game without requiring struggles.

It didn't work as intended as I only placed 1 success on a story using lunatics throughout the tourney.

It didn't do too bad, I only won half my tourney games but I got a nice winning streak in my casual games.

My favourite moment was when I got the deranged diva + arkham asylum + San servolo combo into play.

My worst bit was when I completely misplayed my 2nd turn against whizzwang, I had 2 domains with two resources on them, I could have played Jeff harson and arkham asylum which would have let me use Jeff's ability then attack with him. His ability would have triggered the event that makes you choose between sacrificing a character or discarding two cards, thus saving Jeff's life and causing whizzwang to lose 3 cards. Instead I just played Jeff and attacked with him :( there was nothing else I could have used my domains for but to play the asylum, that was a very costly mistake for me. I also misread his hermetic seal and thought it would stop my stygian eyes, I didn't play 2 of them for that reason.

I prefer to think of it as a learning experience, getting my mistakes out of the way before the regional.

To be fair, I did try to help you infer that I had no event sin my deck by showing you the failed initiate early which helped with the Jeff decision. 

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts

There was no reason for me not to play the asylum and use his ability, there was nothing else for me to use the resources on and the asylum is one of the most important cards in my deck.

The lessons I took from that game were to read my cards and play my cards :) which served me well because I didn't lose again after that. I also always went first, which helped.

Bring on the rematch at the regional.

Whizzwang

Whizzwang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Here's the Silver Twilight deck I was using: 

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Call of Cthulhu Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (55)

Character: (36)
3x Recruiter for the Lodge (TOotST) 
2x Lord Jeffrey Farrington (TOotST) 
3x Black Dog (WoP) 
3x Initiate of Huang Hun (CotJE) 
2x Josef Meiger (DotU) 
3x Guardian of Dawn (TiV) 
1x Adept of the Second Order (TbtA) 
2x Rich Widow (PT) 
3x Lodge Neophyte (LR) 
2x Sarah Van Shaw (WoP) 
3x B. Ramsdale Brown (TKatG) 
1x The Claret Knight (SoK) 
2x Knight of the Outer Void (TOotST) 
3x Failed Initiate (TOotST) 
1x Carl Stanford (SoK) 
1x Dr. Baker (TTB) 
1x Dirk Sharpe (TBJ) 

Support: (10)
3x Hermetic Seal (TiV) 
3x Ice Shaft (NN) 
2x Ritual of Exclusion (TUP) 
1x Ritual of Inferno (TWC) 
1x The Doorway (TBJ) 

Event: (9)
3x Hanyatl's 1:9 (SoK) 
3x Eldritch Nexus (Core) 
3x You Know Too Much (TOotST) 

Conspiracy: (0)

• HomerJ and mic like this

Panzerbjrn

Panzerbjrn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Why am I only just seeing this now? :'(

So sad...

Is there a notification list I can sign up to? Or shall I just try to keep an eye on this forum?

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts

I think the provisional date for the GTG regional was August 30th, it's the only UK regional so we'll get to crown the UK champ.

You could also join the Facebook group which would keep you informed.

Doc

Doc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

I think the provisional date for the GTG regional was August 30th, it's the only UK regional so we'll get to crown the UK champ.

You could also join the Facebook group which would keep you informed.

Which Facebook group?

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts

GTG call of cthulhu group

Doc

Doc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks just joined...pending Eddie's say so (of course)
I wonder what I'll get called playing Cthulhu...

LordTeacup

LordTeacup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Welcome to the hall of dark and slithering things.