Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Louisville Regionals @ Something 2 Do Games 6-28-14

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Try! I'm bringing 2 new players to the tournament with me! Just give them a fun deck and tell them to have a good time! :D

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Alright fellas, Portland had 16 cultists show up to their regional. 16! Those are pretty strong numbers but we can beat them! I don't care if you have to give a deck to your grandma we have got to beat their attendance! Now is a good time to bring that one guy that's been thinking about playing or shove a buddy head first into the game at a regional. That's what I'm doing to 2 of my friends lol! Lets make the Louisville regional the best most attended regional of the entire season! I know you guys can do it! Everyone in Louisville tell your buddies! If they need a deck to play I'll have extra on hand. Don't let that stop them from wanting to play!

• Yipe likes this

Greynomad38

Greynomad38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I think the fifteen bucks could be a deterrent.  :P

I do have a friend I encouraged to play this past Tuesday.  He played with me when I first got the game but got upset when OCTGN switched versions and all his decks for CoC and Warhammer weren't compatible anymore.  Now I've referred him to this site and he seemed eager to play again.  I told him if he wants to play in regionals I'll pay his fee.

• GrahamM and kamacausey like this

BeldVanGuard

BeldVanGuard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Myself and 1 of my OH players are a "Maybe' for the event. He's willing to do the drive and interested, but gotta work out some RL  / family timing stuff to go. So fingers crossed I can bring at least 2 to the tables down there

• cparadis and kamacausey like this

BeldVanGuard

BeldVanGuard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Also any word on the Dayton player interested in going? I met a lot of them, and if they wanna do a carpool thing can maybe meet em somewhere and help with drive and gas if they're going 

cparadis

cparadis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I'm thinking about adding some unofficial prize support. Something for the person who finishes last, something for the person who comes the farthest, things like that. Would people be interested in such a thing, is that even allowed under FFGs tournament rules?

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Hell we can do whatever we want! I'm all for it! I got a playmat for the person who travels the farthest to this thing!

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
You can add any extra prizes you want. I always give the last place winner a $10 gift certificate to the store, and this year I raffled off my playmat after winning it.

Another good idea is to ask your venue to offer all the participants a discount on CoC cards for the day. This works great at encouraging people to buy the cards that just stomped them into the ground.

cparadis

cparadis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
OK, I've gone ahead and ordered prize support for the following:

Last Place
Farthest Distance Traveled
Most Characters/Locations from the Same Lovecraft Story (minimum 2)
Most Ancient Ones Played
Most Conspiracies Won

I've also ordered a copy of Cthulhu Fluxx as a side event during the elimination rounds. Winner gets to keep the game.
  • kaine82, kamacausey and BeldVanGuard like this

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Heck yea dude! That's the spirit! Have we met before?

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
One option for a side event during elimination is to run a multiplayer Call of Cthulhu game and the winner gets a prize.

cparadis

cparadis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Heck yea dude! That's the spirit! Have we met before?

Perhaps, my son was born about nine months ago, and I've been away from CoC since then so perhaps not.

Still open to feedback on these or potentially other prize categories.

Really, I'm just trying to reward players for playing things they like to play, not just for having the best decks. Most of us in Louisville are rather casual and none of us have very big card pools. So if you like conspiracies or ancient ones or thematically accurate decks, I want you to feel like you can play those and still win a prize. So if people have ideas for other categories I'm open. These are just the ones I thought of.

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Cool! Like I already said, I will give a play mat to whoever drives the farthest for the event. As far as casual vs competitive, I fall into the competitive category but I like casual play just as much as the next guy. I like the idea of rewarding different play styles too. I don't think it's going to be a problem for everyone to get some prizes this year though seeing as how the top 16 get wooden clue tokens. Hopefully we can get more than 16 this year! That would be awesome! We need to beat those crazy portland deep ones! :-)

BeldVanGuard

BeldVanGuard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

For my Store Championship, I had some custom Domain Cards made, gave out extra promo cards from Season 1 and 3 2013 sets, and had early deck boxes from the Season 1 2014 Kit and everyone seemed very happy with it. Extra prizes always fun

Greynomad38

Greynomad38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Great incentive, guys!  For those on Facebook, could you be kind enough to RSVP so the store owner can start getting an idea of how many will be attending?  Thanks!

https://www.facebook...59736450862715/

scottcoz

scottcoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Also any word on the Dayton player interested in going? I met a lot of them, and if they wanna do a carpool thing can maybe meet em somewhere and help with drive and gas if they're going 

I was hoping to be able to make it... but, it turns out, I have a cousin's wedding to go to that weekend, so I won't be able to.

BeldVanGuard

BeldVanGuard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

I was hoping to be able to make it... but, it turns out, I have a cousin's wedding to go to that weekend, so I won't be able to.

Aw damn ok. Well you'll just have to wreck my face in Dayton again, hopefully be able to pull off that 3rd story before you make me eat all my guys heh

cparadis

cparadis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
My additional prize support has arrived! Logan please post it on the meetup.
  • kaine82 and BeldVanGuard like this

kaine82

kaine82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

You rock Charles!

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Any new players to report that will be coming? Also, Charles, to drum up some interest, do you care to report what you will be giving prizes for and what the prizes will be?