Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Louisville Regionals @ Something 2 Do Games 6-28-14

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Portland wants to know how many players showed up.  Don't keep us hanging!

cparadis

cparadis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
15 players, one YTrain.

cparadis

cparadis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Congrats to Kamacausey and Tut for finishing first and second respectively. I believe decklists will be posted sometime in the near future.

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

15 is an impressive number!  It's great to see Cthulhu thriving, and I hope to keep up our inter-city rivalry for the 2015 Store Championship.

Perhaps all the Tournament Organizers should make a friendly wager to see who can muster the biggest attendance next year?  I know having a competition with Louisville really helped bolster our numbers.

• cparadis and kamacausey like this

Obtuse

Obtuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
Was that our Tut from Mansfield taking second!?

I'm bummed I wasn't able to make it down to Luuulaville (that's how you say it, right?) today. Glad it went well for you guys.

Speaking of store championships, I'm just gonna throw it out there that our quaint little Ohio hamlet of Mansfield is gonna compete hard for top attendence.
  • cparadis likes this

AceRimmer

AceRimmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Yes! Tut played an awesome game!!! I can't wait to see the replay/stream.
  • cparadis likes this

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
Do to some last minute drop outs yesterday morning we sadly only ended up with 15! :-( However, 15 is still awesome and we all had a blast! Portland gets to hold the title for at least one more year! Relish in it because next year Louisville will be 20+ strong! :-)

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

15 players at a Call of Cthulhu regional is a win in my book!

• HappyDD and kaine82 like this

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

15 players, one YTrain.

(Only) One YTrain, huh? How well did it do? Congratulations for the good attendence!

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

One Y-Train, it was my version that a buddy of mine played. He had never played it before and still went 2-2, almost 3-1 to make cut. Not too bad seeing as how the first round of the tournament was the first time he had ever played the deck. I tried to get him not to play it but he insisted...

• Jhaelen likes this

Obtuse

Obtuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
Fair warning: if I ever play with anyone running a yithian mill I'm going to be giving you the evil eye during the whole match. And I might make animal noises while you try to resolve arcane struggles.
  • Jhaelen, kamacausey and TuT like this

AceRimmer

AceRimmer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
I think there were cookies given to the victims of the yith mill deck. Good ones too!
  • Jhaelen and kamacausey like this

cparadis

cparadis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

For the regional event, I ran a Miskatonic/Agency investigator deck with lots of combat icons and kill actions. I think Logan is posting all the decks in another thread, so I won’t waste any space on the list.

Round 1 - Woodrow (Y-train)

Woodrow was the only player playing a y-train deck at the regional. I was lucky to face him in the first round as I knew I wouldn’t have to play him again in the swiss. Compounding that, Woodrow was using a deck built by Kamacausey, that Woodrow had never even played before we sat down. Double lucky for me. He went first, dropped a lost city, triggered its action and then passed. I dropped three characters (two new recruits and a Blackwood File Clerk) and went to stories unopposed. I managed to put 3/2/2 success tokens on the stories. He played a Scholars from Yith on turn 2, then passed to me. I won two stories on my turn 2 and the last on turn 3. After we reported our match, we played again so he could get a better idea how his deck worked, and he trounced me, milling me out quickly. In the end, I got a good draw versus his bad draw in our official game, and he had little experience with the deck. I was fortunate to win.

1-0

Round 2 - Logan (Greynomad) (MU/Hastur insanity)

Logan and I are both local players who get to play each other with some regularity. I think we were both playing the same decks we had been using for the last couple of weeks. We knew what we were facing. I know that he wants to drive his characters insane and manipulate the success tokens, and I want to kill his characters and win the stories as quickly as possible. I don’t remember too much about what happened in this game, but I know my combat icons and shotgun kept him from being able to go to stories, and a Small Price to Pay took out Maurice Diggs early on. On a personal level, Maurice is one of my favorite characters (I like to imagine he is the chess prodigy grown up), so it pained me to do it, but it had to be done.  

2-0

Round 3 - Leon (mono-Syndicate)

Leon is a relatively new Cthulhu player in our area, but he plays AGot and Star Wars at a high level and also did so with Warhammer: Invasion when it was around. He asked me to make him a deck for regionals, which I did. I made him a Silver Twighlight/Shub deck that he hated so he borrowed my cards and put together a nasty mono-Syndicate deck. He told me he played Nayatl’s 12:3, tear gas, and O’Bannon’s Inner Council first turn in round 1 and it had sealed that match for him. Against me, he used a similar setup to get out David Pan instead. I took out Mr. Pan with Small Price to Pay. What would have been a crushing first turn for him instead resulted in a great start for me.

3-0

Round 4 - Tut (Synidcate/Cthuhlu skill kill)

Tut worked me good in this game. Really. He had an answer for everything I wanted to do and just flat out outplayed me. He didn’t get his Khopesh out until late, but frankly, he didn’t even need it. I don’t remember much except that I made an idiot out of myself by trying to use Small Price To Pay to kill O’Bannon’s Inner Council when they had toughness. I had Steve Clarney on the board, and I got so excited because I knew all I had to do was commit him then I could kill the council. But I got over excited and played it in the operations phase. Even if I’d played it correctly though, Tut was always going to win. He was a great player and a gracious winner.

3-1

Top 4 - Chase (Kamacausey) (Miskatonic/Syndicate Negotium)

Now, I’m ecstatic to have made it into the top 4. Chase and I played a game that I think could have gone either way at one point. I foolishly got one of my characters killed at an early story for not reading the cards, but was able to put out a Steve Clarney to go to stories unopposed while Chase’s Negotium was out and he didn’t have any three cost characters. Chase’s Clover Club Torch Singer did well for him reducing Steve’s skill to 0 so he couldn’t get the skill or unopposed successes. This slowed my deck down enough that Chase was able to eventually exert control over the board, bring out his own 3 cost characters and win the game 3-1. I needed to draw a 3 cost character on my last turn in order to win 2 stories and did not do so, instead conceding.

Lost in top 4

Random thoughts:

This was a great event.

We were incredibly fortunate to have 6 players travel from out of town to swell our ranks.

Meeting people from the different playgroups was great for us to see different decks.

Everyone I talked to seemed to have a good time.

Cards that for whatever reason helped a lot: Small Price To Pay, San Marco Basilica, Shotgun, Anthropology Advisor

Cards my opponents played that hurt me: O’Bannon’s Inner Council, Negotium

Prizes:

This tournament was a lot of fun for me as a player and as a unofficial organizer. Prior to the event, I decided to purchase some additional prize support and create achievements for people to play for. Below are the categories and prizes that I didn’t already disclose in the Regional thread:

Most Ancient Ones Played* - Stuffed Cthulhu.

We had two players gunning for this one, with the player who won bringing out 13 ancient ones in 4 games. I think this category was pretty successful as the player who won, was not even going to play in the tournament until he found out about this and the other player who went for it said it did influence his deck building decisions. I was very happy with this result, as it did exactly what I wanted it to do. Motivate players to play, and motivate different deckbuilding ideas.

*I used the common definition of play not the technical definition. If you put the card in the play area that counted, regardless of whether you paid for it or it entered through a card effect.

Most Conspiracies One - Arkham Horror novels.

No one explicitly went for this, but the same player who won the most ancient ones also won this as he used Ancient Plans to let him put into play an ancient one. I thought with Terror in Venice there would be more people who wanted to experiment with conspiracies, but it was not really anything anyone reported to me as a motivating factor. The father of the player who won this told me he has been trying to get his son to read for fun for a long time now, but this is one of the first time his son has done so. He seems to be enjoying the novels, so, even though it didn’t inspire anyone in advance, I still consider this a successful prize.

Most Characters From The Same Story - The Art of H.P. Lovecraft book.

This was a total dud from an organizational standpoint, and that is on me. I actually don’t think there are enough characters from Lovecraft’s stories to make this a viable category, and I should have done my homework on that before I announced it. was trying to reward players for playing thematic decks, and I tried to take a shortcut for defining and judging thematic decks instead of really analyzing and thinking about it. No one built their decks with this in mind, and I ended up awarding it to a player playing a Miskatonic Explorer’s deck. In the end, I think that was the most thematic deck in the field, but I should have done better in creating the category.

• Jhaelen likes this

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
Charles, where's the videos?

cparadis

cparadis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Playlist available here:

http://www.youtube.c...mp820QZVS7rskFK

Only two up right now. More to come. I will get the finals up tonight.

kaine82

kaine82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

kaine82

kaine82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Charles, when should round 2 and 4 be up as well as the top 4 matches? I love watching the videos! 

cparadis

cparadis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

As soon as I can. So mad the sound didn't record. Apparently, I had the mic on mute like a fool. Working on the finals and semifinal tonight.

cparadis

cparadis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Finals is up now.