Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Star Wars Microchat- strategy, thoughts, musings

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

swingjunkie

swingjunkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Hey guys! To anyone who doesn't know what a microchat is, the idea is that this thread would be a catch-all for random musings and (HOPEFULLY) stategy thoughts that maybe don't fit anywhere else or are not fleshed out or grand enough for their own thread. It becomes kind of like a group stream of consciousness thing. You can and are encouraged to respond to other peoples thoughts and statements, but if a full convo or debate gets going, start a new thread for easy reference.

Above all, the is a positive place. Don't bash people or FFG. You can make small negative thoughts if they seem appropriate, but don't devolve into name calling and shoutig matches.

With that said, a couple of random thoughts to get going:

-Don't put yourself in the position of a must-win edge battle against a Hoth deck without at least 7 edhe icons. SO MANY BATTLE OF HOTHS!

-Why are there so many dark side playmats floating around, but so few light side? Only Han and Leia right now.

-I really wish Moldy Crow's pod wasn't Jedi only so I could have My Ally is the Force with Dash. Damn trooper decks...
  • Toqtamish, Crouton and SeeThreebilbo like this

SeeThreebilbo

SeeThreebilbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

I think this is a great idea!  I've never heard of a microchat, but it sounds neat.  Kinda like a big Twitter...sort of...a little bit...?

Speaking of Hoth and edge, my Hoth speeder deck doesn't have any Twists...but having all those Battles is great, hehe!

darthbs

darthbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1059 posts

what trooper decks have you had trouble with?

swingjunkie

swingjunkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Its not really a general thing, just with a Dash deck. There's ALWAYS defenders so they can dump cards. I can do ok with sheer attrition most of the time.

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

Probably in the minority here, but I like False Report and Freeholders over Dash's set.  Like swingjunkie just said, I always feel like it's tough to use Dash to the fullest and he's unique.  With False Report, you could have 4 Freeholders potentially on the board at the same time. 

SeeThreebilbo

SeeThreebilbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

I'm not sure what to do with my Smuggler character deck, to be honest.  I'm thinking of putting in Freeholders because of their resource.  I get one of those, and maybe another one.  I'm just not sure.  Maybe

2x Han

2x Chewie

2x Lando

2x Falcon

1x Freeholders

1x Gamor Run

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
I think Gamor Run is a good alternative to Freeholders as it's got some inexpensive units with good stats too.

Also isn't there an Obi Wan playmat too ?
  • LethalHobo likes this

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

I like the false report as well, BUT i do not like running in in 2's.  As a 1 of, if your opponent knows they are there, they must be careful and change their playstyle up slightly possibly holding less cards for the edge, not being quite as aggressive on offense, or even using less draw effects.  Basically, i look at almost every card in the set as a situational card that can be pretty easily played around but affects your opponents decisions.  Freeholders are obviously only really usable when the opponent has a fairly large hand size, out maneuver is another one that your only going to use on a few occasions, clearing house is only decent if your opponent has draw effects, and slicing in is just OK.

One set i like pairing with freeholders is the falcon, that way the freeholders aren't dead cards if you opponent is pitching down to 2ish cards every turn.

• yodaman likes this

darthbs

darthbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1059 posts

I keep telling myself that I need to have dash in most of my decks for the damage potential of the objective but it grates on me about playing holding to often. Freeholders might be the way to go for the character deck i want to run.

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

Falcon into Freeholders is certainly an optimal thing to do.  One thing I find myself leaving out more and more in Smuggler's builds is Han to be honest. 

• SeeThreebilbo likes this

SeeThreebilbo

SeeThreebilbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

Falcon into Freeholders is certainly an optimal thing to do.  One thing I find myself leaving out more and more in Smuggler's builds is Han to be honest. 

*shocked gasps from crowd*

Demas

Demas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Random musing: As a selling point to newbies, I wanted to show how the three different combat icons and the ability to select the order of resolution can result in rich interaction, despite only a few units hitting the board... but struggle to find an example that's sufficiently robust- where the resolution order makes a different, but the options are all valid choices (as opposed to a particular resolution order being clearly optimal).

Does anyone have an example of selecting combat icon resolution order makes a difference, but each choice has its merits?

swingjunkie

swingjunkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
I don't think there one. I think all the possible "math" is done before deciding on what to attack with

LethalHobo

LethalHobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Gamor run is insanely good.  At first glance I didn't think much of it, but having the objective out (ESP. if doubled) can almost always win you the force struggle.  I think it pairs well with jedi decks, and especially with recursion obi, C3p0 for obvious reasons.  Just be careful not to mill yourself with the objective.  I almost saw it happen to Hdawg in Vegas this past weekend haha.

• mikado likes this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
I know I've had that happen in games but can't recall the details right now Demas.

darthbs

darthbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1059 posts

against chewbacca? do your blast and tactics first before doing unit damage?

LethalHobo

LethalHobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Speeder players, if you're up against a sith-affiliated deck, you best make sure you're either keeping the force, or committing your best units and have protectors out.  A force storm will absolutely make your entire board disappear if you don't pay attention to the force struggle.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
Sleuth scout decks suffer the same vulnerability to Force Storm and often just ignore the Force struggle.
  • LethalHobo likes this

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Thing is with han's set is that its not just han that is good.  His entire set is easily one of the top sets on the game still IMO.  The objective is amazing with the wookie protectors and chewie, Han himself is an amazing unit, the chud is one of the best chuds with its all black tactics and blaster, even though its vulnerable to chokes (but thats what we run protection for), swindled AND crossfire are silly good and have won many games for me.  To top all that goodness off, we get a resource too, i'm still all in on that set. 

The set i have largely dropped is the lando set.  With only a single copy of the freeholders, trust me into the false report isn't very consistent (and i think its a ***** ruling anyways), and there are some bad cards in his set as well.  While Lando's ability can be pretty awesome, always having to save at least 1, if not 2 resources to use for your turn and his turn can be problematic often times.

i have been messing around with a deck recently that has been pretty good and fun to play.

2x commando operations

2x han

2x chewie

2x falcon

1x freeholders

1x echo caverns

commando operations is just an amazing set and REALLY punishes the DS for using fate cards or just completely stops them from using them.

• BrianV, LethalHobo and yodaman like this

JustinMcBride

JustinMcBride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Gamor run is insanely good.  At first glance I didn't think much of it, but having the objective out (ESP. if doubled) can almost always win you the force struggle.  I think it pairs well with jedi decks, and especially with recursion obi, C3p0 for obvious reasons.  Just be careful not to mill yourself with the objective.  I almost saw it happen to Hdawg in Vegas this past weekend haha.

Steve and I played a game last week where I milled myself out with double Along the Gamor Run. First time I saw that. Another time against Jarrett, I won the game having no cards in my deck. AtGR seems like it can do that to you when paired with Dash.

Random thoughts

- Not enough people like Flight of the Crow. That set is awesome.

- Saboteur is amazing right now.

-The DS is definitely not as good as it used to be. LS has some amazing pods.

- LS Superfriends with Flight of the Crow is a real deck.

- Endless Reserves is still vastly underrated for the amazing things it can do.

- Along the Gamor Run is my favorite set of all time.

- A deck with more non-unique threats or a variety of unique is VASTLY more powerful now than many unique units.

- Plan of the Prophetess is an amazing objective.

- Scum is pretty solid now. The Slave Trade is awesome in the right deck.

- TS Sith in it's original form is actually better now that Freeholders/Dash left the meta.

- Tuskens don't get enough respect.

- Gotal Outcasts are better than they used to be.

- Jedi Mind Trick is a card.

- They need to make a metal DS dial to go with the force coin.

- We need Alternate Art/Aurebesh OBJECTIVE SETS instead of just a single card. That would be sweet.

- We need more tournaments ;)

• holliday88, BrianV and LethalHobo like this