Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Star Wars Microchat- strategy, thoughts, musings

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

Majestaat

Majestaat

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1913 posts

I've been trying to do a "Never attack" LS deck since Core. Control the Force, deal damage with it, throw a couple Rebel Assaults here and there. Voilá.

No decent data to share tho'.

SeeThreebilbo

SeeThreebilbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

Good luck; sounds fun.

Kennyjman

Kennyjman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Do you think we'll ever get an objective set(s) that make deck depletion a legitimate strategy??  S&V is probably the closest now, but it has a looooong way to go.  Capturing 35 cards is NOT an option...yet.  Currently LS has no real card destroy mechanic.

Majestaat

Majestaat

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1913 posts

If we do, I hope it is indeed via capture like Scum. Fooling around with the LS challenge deck from Balance, I know I don't ever want to see a deck that can deplete you via discard.

Boreas

Boreas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

How many games did you win or see someone win by destroing Trust Me to flip Freeholders objective? I played Trust Me in Freeholders' deck because of the objective's ability(all the cards, except resorce and Target, in this set are crap). I've never won by destroing my own Trust Me. Also I've never seen anyone else win this way.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

I've been trying to do a "Never attack" LS deck since Core. Control the Force, deal damage with it, throw a couple Rebel Assaults here and there. Voilá.

No decent data to share tho'.

Sounds interesting but I don't know if that can be made to work or not. Worth a try as a fun deck if nothing else. I would say put in Gamor Run to help hold the Force. 

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

How many games did you win or see someone win by destroing Trust Me to flip Freeholders objective? I played Trust Me in Freeholders' deck because of the objective's ability(all the cards, except resorce and Target, in this set are crap). I've never won by destroing my own Trust Me. Also I've never seen anyone else win this way.

Never. Honestly I have not been impressed by Freeholders really. I know a lot of people complained about their "God hands" and stuff but I never saw anything like that with them and Dash. They always seemed to be buried and I always seemed to draw two False Reports in my opening objectives. 

SeeThreebilbo

SeeThreebilbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

Yikes; that doesn't sound too fun.

I'm excited about the Reinforcements! set for Navy coming up, but I wouldn't want to draw those in my opening pick either.

FranciscoG

FranciscoG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

If we do, I hope it is indeed via capture like Scum. Fooling around with the LS challenge deck from Balance, I know I don't ever want to see a deck that can deplete you via discard.

This,

I don't like mill as a mechanic. I do like hand control though.

Another topic...has anyone tried the rebel pod focused on defense, it is strange that is so defensive when thwe light side should be offensive, maybe in the deck majestad intends.

Majestaat

Majestaat

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1913 posts

Hoth Gambit? It's an amazing support pod. You don't use as your deck's base, but to fix some possible weakness. It's not an auto-include, but it's one of the stronger Rebel support objectives out there, in the correct deck.

As for the never attack deck, I don't expect it to be competitive, and it could probably become boring after a few matches, but it would all be worth it to see the expression of those super defensive Sith players that see their own tricks used against them.

The Knowledge and Defense objective would probably be the most important for the deck, with support from some Rebel stuff to blow things faster and the usual Jedi tricks to control the board. I'll revisit the concept and see if I can figure a semi-viable deck.

ScottENJ

ScottENJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

3 times over two Regionals. Once blind, twice with the player prepping with Slicing In. Few times here and there in casual play as well.

It isn't that ability alone that made Trust Me a no brainer for that deck, but that added utility really tipped the scales when making a comparison between Trust Me and what would normally be a comparable set. It was another layer in the ability to force a win without real play beyond the whole draw enough HaTCs and Freeholders in the first turn possibility

Lando will still win out in a deck running 2x False Report because of that added utility but a 1x Freeholder deck or one featuring Dash will have to make more of a judgement call.

Budgernaut

Budgernaut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

This,

I don't like mill as a mechanic. I do like hand control though.

Another topic...has anyone tried the rebel pod focused on defense, it is strange that is so defensive when thwe light side should be offensive, maybe in the deck majestad intends.

Scum would be great as a mill faction because at least the opponent has a way to get key cards back through the Rescue mechanic. It doesn't feel as broken as shoving everything to the discard pile.

• Disguise likes this

FranciscoG

FranciscoG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

So what are the special mechanics each faction has?

Sith - direct unit damage

Scum - capture

Navy - ¿? (don't consider blast damage as a special ability)

Jedi - Search and Recursion

Rebel - ¿?

Smugglers -¿?

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

sith is the control/direct damage affiliation, scum has capture and control, navy is certainly the aggressive faction with lots of blast, little control.

jedi is control imo, rebel is combos and aggressive vehicles, and smugglers have all the tricks

But all this changes with each release, new strategies are added in, and such so i wouldn't pigeon hole any of these factions into a certain type/play style personally

starhawk77

starhawk77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Speeders with Hoth Gambit are mediocre vs. Force Storm (although not as bad as Speeders used to be) but pretty lethal against most everything else. Snowspeeder Counterattack is huge.

"Ok, I'll spend five resources to play Mara Jade and her saber."

"Pew pew."

• yodaman likes this

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts
Well, did a decent bit of testing today and I'm loving along the gamor run. The entire set is just crazy good.

Majestaat

Majestaat

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1913 posts

Gamor is amazing in virtually any deck.

SeeThreebilbo

SeeThreebilbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

Speeders with Hoth Gambit are mediocre vs. Force Storm (although not as bad as Speeders used to be) but pretty lethal against most everything else. Snowspeeder Counterattack is huge.

"Ok, I'll spend five resources to play Mara Jade and her saber."

"Pew pew."

I LOVE pew pews!

Jarrett

Jarrett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

2x Along the Gamor Run

2x Hoth Gambit

2x Attack Pattern Delta

2x Hoth Operations

2x Preparation for Battle

Control the force (either with a solo Hoth Gambit and 2 other Hoth objectives, and/or with Gamor Run, win edge battles, bum rush units, and shielding). Only problem with the deck I've seen is you sometimes lack objective damage. You could switch Prep for Battle to Prepare for Evac or even Defense of Yavin IV for more direct damage and Red 2 shenanigans. I could see Force Storm being a problem, but only if the DS actually takes the force the first turn (and with 4 objectives helping prevent that, probably not). Also this deck has a lot of non-limited resources, so you don't really need DoY4 as much as before (although it wouldn't hurt - but I like Against All Odds with that set).

Majestaat

Majestaat

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1913 posts
That's just what I wanted to try with K&D. Share feedback when/if possible.