Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Preview - Combat

Warhammer Conquest Preview

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

DarkBlue

DarkBlue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4858

Looks like the new chapter is on.

drop-pod-assault.png

daring-assault-squad.png

enraged-ork.png

And the first Chaos Card (if i remember correctly)

black-legion-heldrake.png

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

That is one big Daemon

I like the Drop Pod Assault card. 

DarkBlue

DarkBlue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

The battle reads very promising, too. Many rounds of combats with so many moving variabes to take into account. In which order your units are going to attack, which units you attack first. When do you retreat a character from battle. With a units at once, or do you keep some units there. Use your commander or retreat him.

I really like that. Looking forward for that.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Geez, that Heldrake looks brutal.  However, he also costs as much as two fairly big units so there's certainly a drawback.  And, your opponent might have flying stuff which then lowers his value.  Probably a conditional card then.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

Geez, that Heldrake looks brutal.  However, he also costs as much as two fairly big units so there's certainly a drawback.  And, your opponent might have flying stuff which then lowers his value.  Probably a conditional card then.

You also want to play out on multiple planets to gather resources a big guy like this really limits what you will gain. It is a card that could be amazing or just awful I am curious to find out, I mean it can one shot warlords which is crazy but I think 8 cost unit will be almost unplayable without good amount of reducers to play. 

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

It's cost will hurt it being played but we have also seen those cultists you can sacrifice to reduce a Daemon's cost. 

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

Yea think if their is a way to get them out quickly (the cultists) this guy could be a beast. But, assuming will be some sort of direct destroy card that will make him risky and other things. I mean have to with a guy that does that much damage but when just the core set comes out he will be an all star those that are going to do the gencon tournament will probably strongly consider running a couple of that guy. The fact that if he hits your warlord twice the game is already over. 

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Yes, but while your opponent is saving up to afford him you may already have gained a strong lead and be collecting resources unopposed at more planets in order to gain a resource advantage and thereby be able to play your own big stompy dude.  There's a lot to consider and we only have a few pieces of the puzzle at this point.

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

The heldrake is expensive, but we'll really have to take a look and see how 8 resources translates into combat effectiveness and command struggles. It looks to be headed for the first planet right now. 

Since it is elite, can I remove two focus tokens at the beginning of my turn? :P

Edit: Wait... Why aren't any of us paying attention to Daring Assault Squad? Looks strong.

RedSquadronK

RedSquadronK

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Edit: Wait... Why aren't any of us paying attention to Daring Assault Squad? Looks strong.

They do seem pretty solid. From what we've seen so far, it feels to me that units generally have more health than I would expect based on other card games. So in something like Star Wars doing 2 damage to everything would be insane; in this it might just be a way to finish off a few guys that have already taken a beating.

The way you continue combat until someone is dead or runs away is intriguing. It feels like people will generally just run as soon as a battle looks even a little bit bad for them. I'm hoping there are a lot of combat tricks to make the decisions of whether to stay in tough ("if I stay in, I will lose this guy, but I can play this card form my hand to wipe him out! Of course if he has that other card I'd lose...").

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Shield icons are huge, too. damage reduction at the cost of a potentially awesome card will make for some neat game decisions.

The Assault Squad will certainly be better at handling some units than others. Looks like those pesky neutral pirates won't have much of a chance against them.  The threat of killing units is as strong as killing them at times. Since retreats happen at the end of a combat round, the squad might be a good deterrent. I will say that blasting an Ork which might get stronger with damage could be a mistake. Blasting Orks which have to damage themselves to get stronger probably isn't.  As these are Blood Angels, they will not be part of the command pod and can be run as a full playset. 

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Interesting that Area Effect is optional. That adds some strength certainly - 2 damage to each enemy unit or 3 damage in one place.

I'm thinking though that it seems likely that the ratio of cost to command struggle icons is going to be quite important in deckbuilding in this game...

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
This is an encouraging preview. One of the things that worried me about this game was tempo. With the potential to pull 3 planets a turn the game seamed like it would be over before it begins. Still now we know that only the 1st planet gets taken at any given time, regardless of if a battle occurs due to your warlord.

As I understand it if you send your warlord to planet 3 you can send troops with him?

This shield stuff, dose sound good.. I always enjoy duel use cards, always leads to fun decision making. Am I correct in thinking that Drop Pod as it has 2 icons, negates 2 damage when discarded? Also this means every unit can be shielded? The shielding is the discard.. there is no icons or w/e on a card on the table allowing it to be shielded?

Also still not had the little icons on the middle right explained... best guess is that they mark squads that are part of a warlord?

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

yes that is what the thing is on the middle you see it on the warlords. 

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Yellow is for the Warlord and his squad. Blue is only usable in that factions decks. 

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
what dose that mean though.. "in that faction"... like mono-faction decks.. or in a deck that uses that factions warlord?

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

A decks faction would be decided by its Warlord, same as in Netrunner (Identity)and AGoT(House Card) and SW(Affiliation Card). 

• mnBroncos likes this

farntong

farntong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

This shield stuff, dose sound good.. I always enjoy duel use cards, always leads to fun decision making. Am I correct in thinking that Drop Pod as it has 2 icons, negates 2 damage when discarded? Also this means every unit can be shielded? The shielding is the discard.. there is no icons or w/e on a card on the table allowing it to be shielded?

That's my understanding as well.

Also, from the cards previewed, it seems like only event cards will ever have the shield icons? Don't think I saw any unit cards with them.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

rogue-trader.pngvoid-pirate.png

But, we still don't really know if these will be universally desirable.  Their 0 attack/1 defense may mean that they get killed rather easily, or maybe because they only have one hammer they aren't that hard to block.  There might also be other cards that have resource boosters, it seems unlikely that they designed special booster icons and are only planning to use them on two cards.  At some point there WILL be more of them, even if these are the only ones in the core set.

This information would make those spoiled neutral cards a lot more worthy. For starters the weaker health is not as much as a problem as you can shield them if you wish, and also you may not even be sending them into combat zones. They could literally just go in for command and not see combat at all. Also they trigger before combat.. so you can win the command and then retreat. Grab those extra creds or cards and the bonus. Seams these just went up in value imo.

Talking about retreats... can partially retreat? Like can you use your turn to retreat only 1 unit and leave others to fight.. or do you have to do a full retreat of all units to HQ?

DarkBlue

DarkBlue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Actually this retreating after command struggle feels very much what rogue's would do. But as I understand it, you can't retreat before the first round of combat. Although, they don't seems to be a good prime target, as they don't add any combat strength, so you would more likely want to kill the characters who could kill your character. And yes, you can retreat single units and leave the rest to fight on.

BTW: The Void Pirate is card number 170. At the moment, this is the neutral card with the lowest number I guess. If we devide this through 7 factions, it leaves us at 24,28 cards per faction - 1 Warlord + 8 Elite Squad cards equals something like 15 "normal" cards. Any thoughts on this?