Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Preview - Combat

Warhammer Conquest Preview

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

I'm thinking we're  looking at 30 card decks for each faction plus enough neutrals to fill out to an ok deck size. Whatever gets us around the 200-220 card mark.

The rogue trader looks weaker the more I look at it. It needs two turns to  be profitable and dies very easily. The void pirate is a little better, but not much. I don't think these guys will see much play once players get their second core set.  Shielding them seems like a waste. This is only based on what we've seen so far, though.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

well it remains to be seen, but I disagree on this. Those cards look pretty strong to me.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

I think with just the core they will be most have and be a standard economy boost card. However, I see them being quickly replaced by better cards. I mean normal units can gain those extra resource icons as well, they are vulnerable, the first time they help win a struggle it only repays for themselves, and do nothing for you outside of that. So I agree with Tragic that they are good and will be a standerd card for awhile, but I think it will be a card that after a year is rarely seen. 

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

But would you shield them?

Playing them on high value planets seems like a poor move, as they will get killed very quickly. Playing them on low value planets might eke out one extra card or resource(on the second turn they are in play) above what your opponent is doing at a higher value planet during the command struggle. But it's probably going to be more of a wash. 

RedSquadronK

RedSquadronK

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

I could see them also potentially working well as a feint. Pay a resource or two to make your opponent think your warlord/forces are going to an obvious planet, then switch up your plan and go somewhere they didn't even expect. Or bait them into going to that planet so you can beat on their warlord. I guess that's maybe not a good reason to include them in the deck in the first place, but definitely something I would consider if they were in my hand.

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

My mind is stuck on short term decisions from playing Star Wars! 

DarkBlue

DarkBlue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

I'm thinking we're  looking at 30 card decks for each faction plus enough neutrals to fill out to an ok deck size. Whatever gets us around the 200-220 card mark.

I don't quite convinced on the 30 cards per faction. This would mean at least cards up to No. 210 should be faction cards, but the neutral two have No. 170 and 171. Why would FFG slot the neutral cards in between two factions? Doesn't make sense for me.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
Some of the card numbers are likely repeated as multiple copies of the same cards in each faction and neutrals.

DarkBlue

DarkBlue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Ah, thought Ironswimsuit was talking about 30 different cards, not copies. Would make sense to have some cheap chuds or ressource cards multiple times.

DarkBlue

DarkBlue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Hi guys,

spotted on FFGs site:

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4866

As it is a exampe of how combat works, I did not make a new thread for this.

Here are the cards spoiled, though:

WHK01-card-fan.png

WHK01-CardLayout1.png

promotion.png

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Two more Warlords. i was right on both my guesses based on artwork previews from the site ;)

So far I must say I have loved all the artwork and the card frames are quite nice too. 

• Ironswimsuit likes this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

next week starts faction previews, starting with the Space Marines. 

• Ironswimsuit likes this

DarkBlue

DarkBlue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

For those, who don't want to read upside down. ;)

zarathur-high-sorcerer.pngumbral-preacher.pngalpha-legion-infiltrator.pngmark-of-chaos.png

colonel-straken.pngratling-deadeye.pngleman-russ-battle-tank.pngcatachan-outpost.png

DarkBlue

DarkBlue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

New things to discover:

Ranged - Ranged battle before your main battle.

Attachments can have shield icons, too, like Mark of Chaos.

There are some mistakes in the preview. Mark of Chaos is attached to a Mark of Chaos, and Ratling Deadeye is not a soldier.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Mark of Chaos is on the Alpha Legion Infiltrator. I don't see anywhere that it references Ratling Deadeye getting the extra damage from Straken. It dies pretty quickly. 

I did notice the name change for the Imperial Guard to match GW's. They are now the Astra Militarum. 

DarkBlue

DarkBlue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

I swear, they corrected it! The matrix had been changed.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

I swear, they corrected it! The matrix had been changed.

Should have taken the blue pill. 

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

This pleases me. Finally seeing some Guard action...and the Chaos Warlord matches up nicely with my intended podcast!

I wonder if combat actions can be taken during the ranged skirmish portion. Ratling+Tower could be strong. Also, I wonder if support gets discarded when a planet is taken or does it go back to HQ? Final unanswerable question at this time, I wonder what cards will be the '3rd core set chase cards'. Mark of Chaos looks to be playable on any army unit at this time, and if control is retained by the chaos player....

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

At the end of the article it also explains the headquarters phase. So we have now seen the full round sequence. 

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Mark of Chaos is my kind of card. A cool effect and 3 shields! This is a card that is truly duel use... love that.

Also, I wonder if support gets discarded when a planet is taken or does it go back to HQ? Final unanswerable question at this time, I wonder what cards will be the '3rd core set chase cards'. Mark of Chaos looks to be playable on any army unit at this time, and if control is retained by the chaos player....

I thought the same thing... mark dose seam to be able to be played on enemy units.