Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Preview - Combat

Warhammer Conquest Preview

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Did I miss something? Do Support cards count as units?

DarkBlue

DarkBlue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

I think you have to deploy them like a unit (meaning you have to "give up" your turn of deploying a support card instead of a unit), but they can't be targeted directly. Also, I am not sure what happens with them after combat or if you retreat with all your units. Maybe they get discarded than, or you are able to somehow return them to the headquarter, or if there some special effects to recycle them.

theamazingmrg

theamazingmrg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts
As far as I can tell Support cards stay in the Headquarters, not deployed to planets.

I would imagine you deploy them like units by paying their cost but they get placed in the HQ instead.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
Support cards stay in your HQ. it says in the newest article that the Catachan Outpost is in the players HQ.
  • Ironswimsuit likes this

farntong

farntong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Hmm... for locations (like the outpost spoiled), it would make more sense if it was planet specific though...

But if it gets deployed at the HQ, that makes them all the more useful in the long run!

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

I have to say, I think FFG really did well with the war simulation on planets. I really like that combat refreshes until there is 1 victor on the planet, either from dominating your opponent or tactical retreats. Also, the back and forth in marshalling your units has so much strategy. I am really excited for "Feints" in this game, where you will marshal a character on a planet to draw your opponent, then to just retreat them to focus attack somewhere else is really brilliant.

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

I agree - this game is shaping up nicely.

I'll admit that I'm enough of a fan of the IP to deeply want to love this game anyway, but nonetheless, with as an objective eye as I can muster, I'm really liking the looks of this. It looks like a game that will have continuous comples decision making in play, but also the opportunity for clever deckbuilding and strongly themed concepts. In other words, everything that makes an LCG fun.

• kamacausey and DarkBlue like this

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Quick question: why didn't the imperial guard player just give the leman russ battle tank +2atk so it could bloody the warlord in one swing? The leman russ counts as a unit right?

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
To make a longer better example I would guess. Normally yes that would be a good play as you then no longer need to worry about Zarathur or his ability.

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Fair enough. I didn't know if the leman russ could get the bonus or not. I'm freaking stoked about the opportunity to play with the imperial guard again. Years ago I used to play with them in the tabletop game. I cant wait to see how they are incorporated into the card game! I hope the basilisk is as beast in this game as it was in the tabletop game when I played. Everyone feared the basilisk.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
It can yes as it is a unit.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

That is the funny thing about the warlords they actually seemed to be quit vulnerable. If your warlord gets bloodied early your going to have to put him at useless planets and makes it easier for your opponent to win planets. 

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
True which is why it's good they can choose to retreat instead of act. Save themselves and come back next round with a vengeance.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I think this is also counter-balanced by the desire to remove enemy units that can still hurt you.  If you ignore warlords for a moment, you kind of want to use your attacks to take out enemy units that have not yet attacked in order to prevent their damage.  Attacking things that you won't kill (like warlords) tends to run counter to this goal.  In order to do damage to a warlord you're likely taking on extra damage from those units.  Probably in an actual game you'll just have to look at the tradeoffs and see what you're losing short-term in order to make the longer-term gains of putting damage on their warlord.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

I like that there is already a number of decision points we are seeing.