Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Portland 2014 Regionals Recap (w/ pics) Updated 6/15

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Tusk, thanks for posting an incredible Top 10 list of Call of Cthulhu tournament strategies.  That's one of the best collections of advice I've read on prepping for a competitive Cthulhu event.

To prove his techniques work, here is a group photo of Tusk's winning team!

cdb270bf-06c4-4a56-85a2-b115236bc8a8_zps

From left to right:  Drew (5), Ryan (2), Me (4), Chris L. (3).

What an amazing day, and that may be my favorite playmat yet...

• BeldVanGuard, MrQuimper, Tusk and 1 other like this

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Like Drew, Joshua is brand new to the game.  He was a tough competitor - though exceedingly polite as is the CoC LCG way - and home took 6th place in his first Call of Cthulhu tournament.  Nicely done, Josh!

I must say it was great to see so many new faces show up at regionals this year.  It gives me hope for the Portland meta, which had been declining in attendance over the last few months.  Joshua hails from Western Washington so we may not see him on a regular basis, but hopefully he'll be able to join us again in the future.  Or perhaps it's time for a road trip to wage war against Portland's rival cabal of cultists to the north, the "Seattle Servitors" who venerate the old ones at Card Kingdom?  Yes, I think it is.

In addition to being a Cthulhu rookie, Joshua was playing with a limited card pool of just x3 Core Sets, Terror in Venice, and Denizens of the Underworld.  I think this shows the viability of making competitive (and fun) decks based solely on a Core Set + the deluxe expansions of your choice.  I know that Cthulhu's large pool of cards has been seen as a deterrent to new players, but looking at the last two builds it clearly demonstrates you can design a solid deck without spending hundreds of dollars.  I think that the card pool barrier to CoC will only lessen as more faction-specific and themed expansions are released.

While there were 3 mono-syndicate decks at the Portland regional, Joshua's deck was unique in its focus on the day mechanic to boost skill, arcane, and ready all of his characters each turn with La Bella Luna.  His day tech, and copious amounts of Willpower, served him well as he faced a pair of Shub decks running night cards (mainly Savio Corvi).

MADE MEN

6th Place 2014 Portland Regional (3-2)

Faction (Syndicate)

Character (32)

Clover Club Ringer x3

Naomi O'Bannion x2

Peter Clover x2

Clover Club High Roller x3

Crooked Attorney x3

Carnevale Sentinel x3

Trigger Man x3

Clover Club Pit Boss x3

Martin Herring x2

Tommy Malloy x2

Lena Di Boerio x3

Jacob Finnegan x3

Support (17)

Dutch Courage x3

La Bella Luna x3

House Advantage x2

The Clover Club x2

Bauta x3

Concrete and Chains x2

The Gold Pocket Watch x2

Event (9)

Pay Tribute x3

Immurement x3

On the Lam x3

Conspiracy (0)

Total Cards (58)

Synopsis:

• Morrislaw likes this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

Wow seems like was great tournament. everyone got to play 5 rounds, 2 young ones (and a girl is never bad to see playing card game). And 16 player turnout isn't bad at all. On a side note since I have been real busy with life stuff currently haven't gotten to write a new The great cthulhu article in longer then I would like so I am wondering tusk if can use your top ten list and branch off it a little for an article, will give you credit and think is good beginner information that should be on front page.  

• Morrislaw likes this

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Wow seems like was great tournament. everyone got to play 5 rounds, 2 young ones (and a girl is never bad to see playing card game).

Having two elementary school players was a first for us.  I think it was really cool to have a pair of Dads and their sons enter the tournament, and I hope to see them back at our summer league.  For anyone wondering if the kids can compete against the adults, both Dominic and Ryan were tough competitors who knew their decks inside and out and how to win.  For example, in my game against Dominic he was playing The Festival resourcing game on turn one, and then dropped Seeker of Mysteries and a Priestess of Bubastis to set up Nug on the following turn.

We actually had two women playing this time (Katherine and Drew), though we almost had three as Kelly was forced to drop out at the last minute even though she had already paid her entry fee.  Kelly won our multiplayer tournament back in December and had practiced hard for regionals so it was unfortunate she couldn't attend.

My goal is to get all 4 of our regular lady Cthulhu players in this same event.  It's always good to see what the opposite gender brings to the table in terms of deck design and strategy.

• HomerJ, MrQuimper and Morrislaw like this

Tusk

Tusk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I am wondering tusk if can use your top ten list and branch off it a little for an article, 

That sounds great.  You can certainly use the top ten list in your article.  Of course, this list is by no means exhaustive.  There are many more tid-bits to be addressed when preparing for your first tournament.  I look forward to seeing what you have to add to these suggestions.  

Understandably, this list was not created in a vacuum, but truly reflects the collaborative experience of my brother Yipe and myself as we helped my son and niece, and ultimately ourselves, prepare for the Portland regional.  As such, it would only be fair to reference Yipe as a co-author for our top Ten List.  I couldn't have written it without his insight, input, and support.  

Thanks again for your interest in my post.  I can't wait to read your article.

• mnBroncos and Morrislaw like this

MrQuimper

MrQuimper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Matt (Yipe) really did an AMAZING job of bringing this tournament to fruition. It's safe to say that CoC is alive and well in The City of Roses as long as Matt is running the show. 

Dominic (my son) and I had a great time, with great people at the PDX regional. The vibe for this game is so much different than other games I've played. The players are competitive yet respectful and always good sports. I can honestly say I've made more friendships in 6 months of CoC than in years of playing other TCG's. 

I encourage anyone in the area to pop on over for League play, some fun chats and good brews. We'd love to see this great community grow.

• Yipe, HomerJ, kamacausey and 2 others like this

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

4.  Every card in your deck plays a part.

A Magic the Gathering friend asked me if it was a good idea to build his deck with “always to be resourced” cards.  I answered with an emphatic “No.”  Every card in your deck should either contribute to your deck’s winning strategy, disrupt your opponent’s deck, or control the pace of the game.  Deciding what to resource and when is where the real strategy of Call of Cthulhu occurs.
While I'm in full agreement, it's funny that the recent French Regionals were won by a deck that didn't heed that advice:

It included most (if not all) of the currently available cards with transient resources with the one goal of resourcing them to be able to play Nyarlathotep in turn one, thereby removing the opponent's ability to make any intelligent resource decisions. I suppose that kind of deck works best in the European tournament scene which rarely features mono decks, though.

• Tusk likes this

Tusk

Tusk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes, we too had a similar situation in the Portland Regional. In fact, our number one deck - Dead Never Die - used the Local Sheriff, Visiting Author, and Dark Passenger to accelerate card play. It's quite a brilliant strategy and Transient resources do in deed run contrary to my top ten list. I see that as a more advanced deck building strategy, though, and my list was geared a bit more toward new players. However, those cards definitely contribute to the deck's winning strategy, which is a key decision in choosing which cards to include in your deck. I'd love to see that deck list. It sounds like an innovative way to get out something big and quick.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

My very first tournament deck also relied on transient resources - but that was before I had fully realized they really only grant you a short-term advantage. So, you either have to win really fast, or you're hosed...

I'd love to see that deck list. It sounds like an innovative way to get out something big and quick.

Interestingly, as far as I can see, it doesn't. Here's the deck list:

20760.gif Nyarlathotep x3
88269.gif Being of Ib x3
88269.gif Dreamland Fanatic x3
647580.gif Local Sheriff x2
394903.gif Visiting Author x3
20760.gif Descendant of Eibon x3
21491.gif Nathaniel Peaslee x3
21491.gif Faceless Abductor x3
21491.gif Tenebrous Nightgaunt x3
21491.gif Constricting Elder Thing x3
21491.gif Many Angled Thingx3
21491.gif Stalking Hound x3
21491.gif Rite of the Silver Key x3 (the cost to zero)
21491.gif Cursed Skull x3
21491.gif Dark Passenger x3
21491.gif Lev'l 3:13 p.m. x3
21491.gif Pushed Into The Beyond x3

(originally posted here: http://cenacle-hd.bb...ance-2014#32342)

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

How does this deck play nyarlathotep turn 1? Seems like he would always be a turn 2 play...

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

How does this deck play nyarlathotep turn 1? Seems like he would always be a turn 2 play...

If one of your initial resources is transient, and then you resource a second transient the first turn, you could bring out Nyralathotep right away (leaving you with a 0-resource domain).

The deck has a total of 11 transient resources, which is similar to the deck that won our regional.

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Ah ok! Duh! 

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

You could also get away with no resourcing, play Flooded Vault and fetch Called by Azathoth.  Still, it had to be doing something right as it came in first place.

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Lol@yipe! You caught my mistake before I edited and deleted after realizing that immurement cant target ancient ones :-)

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Lol@yipe! You caught my mistake before I edited and deleted after realizing that immurement cant target ancient ones :-)

Mistake, what mistake? ;)

• kamacausey likes this

kamacausey

kamacausey

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

What a blowout that would be though. Have someone sacrifice an entire domain to play nyar and then get it immuremented before the start of the other players turn! Lol! I'd say even the best would have a hard time coming back from that 

• Carthoris likes this

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Well, you could use that pesky Initiate of Huang Hung to bounce him back to hand (as long as your Initiate wasn't resourced randomly).

Jhalen, do you know how many players were in the French National Championship?

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Jhalen, do you know how many players were in the French National Championship?

12 players participated. Of the other decks that were played I only know that there was no Yithian deck and very little Miskatonic.

PlasticXO made fifth place with a Syndicate-Cthulhu-Hastur deck. Perhaps when he sees this thread, he can give some more information.

GrahamM

GrahamM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Hey Yipe--I was trying to put together the first place deck to playtest against it, but it appears there's a typo in the list. You've put the deck down as having 17 events, but only have 14 listed: is the seventeen a typo or was an event accidentally skipped?

Thanks very much for your help!

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Hey Yipe--I was trying to put together the first place deck to playtest against it, but it appears there's a typo in the list. You've put the deck down as having 17 events, but only have 14 listed: is the seventeen a typo or was an event accidentally skipped?

Thanks very much for your help!

Fixed.  It should have 5 different events, with x3 of each.