Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Space Marine Faction Preview

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

http://fantasyflight...s.asp?eidn=4881

WHK01-fan.png

Also Adeptus Podcastus has been sent a spoiler by FFG that we will be featuring on our next episode that I hope to have up by tomorrow night. 

• Ironswimsuit likes this

DarkBlue

DarkBlue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Don't know, what is more amazing: the preview, the spoiler or a new episode?

Edit: Alrighty. Reading through the article, there are some things to mention.

On the one hand, I like how they present all elite squad cards, so you can clearly see, what is coming. On the other hand, they don't quite tell you, what the signature features are of the faction. So, if I am not into 40K (what in fact I am), I don't know, what SpaceMarines actually do. What are they good at? What are their aims? What are their ressources/powers/advantages?

So, I am basically guessing. But it seems Space Marines focus more on the combat, than command struggle (as shown by the lack of heavy command power on the units). And they have abilities at hand to change combat strength drastically by dropping in suprise units or just nuking everything unwanted on a planet. As this actions seems to eat up many ressources (always paying the costs for the additional units) and hinted by the ability of Sicarius, I could imagine that ressource advantage will play a big role at this faction as well.

Anything additional to that? Something I am heavily missing? What is their actual gameplay in the original tabletop appearance?

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Of course the space marines get a board wipe(ish). At least it isn't loyal!

Eager recruit looks like it may find a place with the Imperial Guard.  4 copies of the chosen makes me wonder about the minimum deck size and max copies. 50/3 not counting what's in the squad, or 60/4. Also, I wonder if cards which appear in a squad can be added to decks. I kinda hope not.

WasteMaLife

WasteMaLife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

the-fury-of-sicarius.pngtallassarian-tempest-blade.pngveteran-brother-maxos.pngcatos-stronghold.pngeager-recruit.png

alduc

alduc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Will this be the first LCG where buying a second core set will prove superfluous? Additional copies of the planets, the warlords and the signature squads aren't needed. If they put enough copies of the additional units (3 of, I think), a single core set will be enough even for tournament play.

Unlikely, perhaps, but it would be nice.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
There won't be 3 of every card. Probably closer to Netrunner where two was plenty for most people but 3 was needed to have every card at maximum.

DarkBlue

DarkBlue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Will this be the first LCG where buying a second core set will prove superfluous? Additional copies of the planets, the warlords and the signature squads aren't needed. If they put enough copies of the additional units (3 of, I think), a single core set will be enough even for tournament play.

Unlikely, perhaps, but it would be nice.

Possible. Would be a question how good the neutral cards in the Core set are, so you might want to have more of these. But usually Neutral Cards get pushed away by in-faction cards while the game progresses, it maybe does not matter...

On the one hand, it would lower the step to get competitive, as the other LCGs like Agot basically need 3 core sets, which turns some players away from it.

On the other hand, it reduces FFGs revenues, because not selling 3 boxes per player would reduce the overall sold boxes.

Time will tell, I guess.

But actually, mentioning the "4 copies" in the elite squad, I am really wondering how much copies will be allowed. Isn't 2 or 3 copies the usual number?

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
In the LCGs that use a card by card deck building mechanic, 3. It's possible the Warlords signature squads might break the normal allowance of cards per deck as they are chosen and come as they are setup. So we could see some signature squads that have less or more units and favour a different card type instead down the road.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I'm guessing it will be like Netrunner where for most people 2 copies is the correct amount.

On Neutrals, depends on what they do.  In a lot of games you run mostly faction stuff but if there are neutral economy cards like Netrunner those would probably still be valid later on and most of their replacements would likely be neutrals too.

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Possible. Would be a question how good the neutral cards in the Core set are, so you might want to have more of these. But usually Neutral Cards get pushed away by in-faction cards while the game progresses, it maybe does not matter...

On the one hand, it would lower the step to get competitive, as the other LCGs like Agot basically need 3 core sets, which turns some players away from it.

On the other hand, it reduces FFGs revenues, because not selling 3 boxes per player would reduce the overall sold boxes.

Time will tell, I guess.

But actually, mentioning the "4 copies" in the elite squad, I am really wondering how much copies will be allowed. Isn't 2 or 3 copies the usual number?

Neutrals vary. There were core set neutrals from Invasion which remained exceptionally useful for a long time, if not for the duration. Thrones needed 3x because all but a handful of cards were 1x, Same with CoC, if memory serves. The only difference is that Thrones is a blast with one core set and CoC..ya need two, or one and the first deluxe expansion.  The 1x cards in Netrunner were generally cards that players didn't need 3 of. Toq can tell you if I'm blowing smoke, but that was my assessment. I doubt we'll see a card or cards that are must have 3x at release for 40k. There are already going to be plenty of different deck types thanks to the alignment wheel.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
He's not blowing smoke. The 1x cards in Netrunner were not really cards you needed three copies of. Most if not all, can't remember since I stopped playing, of them were Unique anyway.

Tobogan

Tobogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Interesting. I started thinking about keyword costs on cards. For 1 resource we have:

10th Company Scout 2/1 with command icon

Eager Recruit 2/1 with ambush

Ratling Deadeye 1/1 with ranged and combat icon

Splintered Path Acolyte 1/1 command icon and ability.

We also have the void pirate and rogue trader, but i'm guessing any neutral card is overpriced by its own nature. Or +1 card/resource are really expensive.

My guess on resource costs is, we take 1/1 for free, ambush/ranged 0'5, command icon 0'5, +1 attack damage 0'5. All for in faction cards. Probably it increases/decreases exponentially, not linear. Hmmm just guesses. I love winnies.

For the Space Marines strategy. Nice to see the warlord's signature squad shown, it shows at least how that warlord's cards work together. It allows new signature squads to introduce new mechanics and synergies for that faction. But I still don't see how Space Marines work in general, maybe surprising with units coming directly to combat. Is that enough for a faction mechanic? We'll see.

Excited for Black Templars and Blood Angels in battlepacks. At least we got the first tyranid :D

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Looking purely from a fluff point of view, I love the design of the Fury of Sicarius, as it feels very Astartes: a precision strike with a small group of space marines taking on something way outside of their weight class, and destroying it. Thats what space marines are meant to do!

I'm less convinced by the nedliness (an AGOT term, need a 40k specific one I think) of Sicarius' Chosen. So, these veteran space marines reach out across space, arrange transport for the orkish army from their current planet to this one, and then shoot them once with their boltguns?

I don't get it.

The other cards fall somewhere inbetween. The Tempest Blade does what you expect it to, but isn't that evocative for an item so special. The Stronghold kinda makes sense in a "target eliminated, whats next" sort of way, but it'd make more sense to be a field operatons base or logistics support rather than a stronghold.

Not sure why the daring assault squad does a groundstomp: that seems to reflect more their role in Dawn of War than in the fluff. Fluffwise assault squads are meant to be sent in against single tough targets that can't be rousted from range.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Fury of Sicarius is how you deal with that giant Chaos demon we saw a while ago :)

On Netrunner, the assessment is correct IMHO.  I only have 2 Cores and as far as I know there are only two 1x cards that someone might play 3 copies of in a deck.  Corporate Troubleshooter, and Desperado (the Criminal console).  Desperado is unique, Troubleshooter isn't.

Back to Sicarius' Chosen...  I'm not sure they're supposed to be buying bus tickets for Orcs, perhaps they are luring them in or something more like that.  I have no idea what the fluff of Sicarius is about but somewhere in his stories there's probably an example of someone doing some sort of maneuver to lure or decoy somebody somewhere.

Tobogan

Tobogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

About the Fury of sicarius and Exterminatus. For the first, I was expecting some card like that when we talked about the giant demon, as dboeren said. And the Exterminatus is some kind of a "reset", more limited, and i'd say not as powerfull as it may see. What I didnt expect at all, was both cards in the same faction.

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Sometimes the threat of Exterminatus will be more effective than Exterminatus itself. 

• Toqtamish and VonWibble like this

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Well, in fluff terms a Chapter Master can order exterminatus, and apart from Inquisitors, the space marines are the only ones with access to the cyclonic torpedoes.

The only unfluffy thing about it is that there's anything worthwhile left on the planet once all the armies have been destroyed. It'd have been better in fluff terms (though likely not in game terms) for it to take the whole planet card off the table as well.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

yeah destroying the entire planet would be potentially game breaking. I think it's fine as is. 

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Playing the card at Cato's location can give it a nasty rebate on top of its already considerable strength.

Blowing up an entire planet card is bad because removing victory icons from the board is..broken. Especially for 3 resources.

• Toqtamish likes this

fgerken

fgerken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

As some people here think that the distribution will be like netrunner, and that a 2nd core set might be "superfluous", I translate what I have written in the german board:

- we know that the card Void Pirate (Core Set, 170) is a neutral card. Neutral cards are usualy the last cards in the packs. That means, there can be a maximum of 169 cards that a faction-bound.

- as we cant divide 169 by 7, I assume 168 cards. That will be 24 cards each faction
- as we know Zarathur, High Sorcerer (Core Set, 4), and the Ork-Warlord is the number 3, we can assume that the first 7 cards are warlords.
- this also fits with Sicarius’s Chosen (Core Set, 8). That means, we are now at 23 cards each faction w/o the warlords
- a signature squad consists of 8 cards, and we only have 4 different cards at the Space Marines. This means there have to be 4 cards double cards. Also the signature squad tells us, that the same cards, have the same card number (only game where this isnt the fact in the core set, is Game of Thrones). Elsewise Tallassarian Tempest Blade (Core Set, 11) could not be card no 11, it would be card no 15.
- That means we have at least 27 cards each faction.

- We have a maximum of 250 cards in the core set (as we need 5 packs of standard sleeves). 10 of that cards are planet cards, leaves us 240 cards.
- the first known planet card is the no. 177. This means we can assume that the cards 169 to 176 could be neutral cards. So we have up to 8 neutral cards and 7 Warlords, leaves us at maximum 225 we can spread throughout the 7 factions. Again we cant divide 225 by 7, so we assume 224 cards at maximum, and 32 cards each faction.

Each faction then has between 27 and 32 cards, and that means we have at maximum 5 double cards (but not counting double signature cards). It is of course possilbe that not every faction has the exact same numbers of cards, but we can ignor this, as we only want an average number.

Or to say it in other words: The majority of all cards can only be once in the core set, and only a very small number (if even any) are in there 3x...

• Toqtamish and Ironswimsuit like this