Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Space Marine Faction Preview

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Thank you for the analysis and translation, fgerken. 

I am getting a minimum of two core sets, but I hope to spend several hours before opening the second so I can get a better feel for the initial product. I'm not even a 40k fan and I am more excited about this than any other LCG I've played.

• kamacausey and MotoBuzzsawMF like this

Tobogan

Tobogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Well, sad but at least we must buy 3 core set for a bunch of cards instead of just a few of them.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

I will start with two and then see if a 3rd seems worthwhile or not.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
I've already preordered my 3.

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Playing the card at Cato's location can give it a nasty rebate on top of its already considerable strength.

Blowing up an entire planet card is bad because removing victory icons from the board is..broken. Especially for 3 resources.

Oh I absolutely agree. I wasn't talking about game balance, just fluff.

In fluff terms, Exterminatus is deployed as the last measure, when a planet is entirely unsalvageable. Its nto a tactical tool used to clear the ground for a later assault, its the very endpoint.

Fluff-wise, "Orbital Bombardment" or "Tactical Virus Bomb" or "Purified in Flame" would have made more sense, though I can see how "Exterminatus" is more evocative.

All in all, I'm slightly (but not greatly) concerned about the fluff-adherence of the game designers, which is currently counting as adequate rather than superlative.

Little things make me a little annoyed, like the Godwyn Pattern Bolter being something you add to a unit when its actually the standard issue for any tactical marine. Also, things like inconsistency of scale, when you have one card depicting a single marine scout, another representing a whole squad of veterans, and then you're dropping Exterminatus on their head. Its a little jarring to have a game where you're deploying fewer people than you would in a W40K tabletop skirmish, and then having a fight over multiple planets. I'd rather the sense of the right scale had been kept, and that cards (aside from heroes) had represented whole Space Marine companies, and whole Regiments, and so on. That way stuff like spaceships could end up on the same scale, and it'd make sense that multiple worlds are being fought over. As it is, its weird to have six guys on a planet, and exterminatus being called in. For the eye of imagination, its just odd, having Cato Sicarius fighting to control a region of space with twenty or so marines, in alliance with twenty or so guardsmen.

The front page says "In the game, each player controls one warlord and his armies as you engage in interplanetary warfare."

I say "In the game, each player controls less guys than you field in a 2000 pt game of W40k spread thin over multiple planets."

Still, a good balanced game matters more to me than excellent fluff adherence or great sense of scale. Part of me regrets the design decisions made, but a bigger part of me is still excited about the game.

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Oh I absolutely agree. I wasn't talking about game balance, just fluff.

In fluff terms, Exterminatus is deployed as the last measure, when a planet is entirely unsalvageable. Its nto a tactical tool used to clear the ground for a later assault, its the very endpoint.

Fluff-wise, "Orbital Bombardment" or "Tactical Virus Bomb" or "Purified in Flame" would have made more sense, though I can see how "Exterminatus" is more evocative.

All in all, I'm slightly (but not greatly) concerned about the fluff-adherence of the game designers, which is currently counting as adequate rather than superlative.

Little things make me a little annoyed, like the Godwyn Pattern Bolter being something you add to a unit when its actually the standard issue for any tactical marine. Also, things like inconsistency of scale, when you have one card depicting a single marine scout, another representing a whole squad of veterans, and then you're dropping Exterminatus on their head. Its a little jarring to have a game where you're deploying fewer people than you would in a W40K tabletop skirmish, and then having a fight over multiple planets. I'd rather the sense of the right scale had been kept, and that cards (aside from heroes) had represented whole Space Marine companies, and whole Regiments, and so on. That way stuff like spaceships could end up on the same scale, and it'd make sense that multiple worlds are being fought over. As it is, its weird to have six guys on a planet, and exterminatus being called in. For the eye of imagination, its just odd, having Cato Sicarius fighting to control a region of space with twenty or so marines, in alliance with twenty or so guardsmen.

The front page says "In the game, each player controls one warlord and his armies as you engage in interplanetary warfare."

I say "In the game, each player controls less guys than you field in a 2000 pt game of W40k spread thin over multiple planets."

Still, a good balanced game matters more to me than excellent fluff adherence or great sense of scale. Part of me regrets the design decisions made, but a bigger part of me is still excited about the game.

I think the cards are supposed to signify more than just one character or ultramarine on a planet. Looking at the card Tactical Squad, it has the keywords soldier, Ultramarine. but it is many ultramarines. I think that concept is for all of the cards. Just my thoughts. 

Tobogan

Tobogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Just realised Exterminatus is a "Deploy action". Very tactical and agering card for your opponent, but not a butt-saving card when the combat has already started.

I've been thinking about deck building and faction gameplay flavour. My head hurts. We can see Space Marines have some "put into combat" cards, that may define they play style. But as far as we know, there is no limit to the number of allied cards you can include in your deck, and what determines your factions is your warlord. So we assume your faction play style is defined by your warlord and he/she's signature squad, in the case of Sicarius, harpooning-kill-repeat. Sicarius' play style looks like he will be snowballing resources and a favorable start will make heavy hitters to come really soon.

Can't wait for other factions previews, specially for the Eldar (which i'm not a real fan of) and they exhaust mechanics (what i really expect they will focus on, (and planet swaping)).

• MotoBuzzsawMF likes this

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Just realised Exterminatus is a "Deploy action". Very tactical and agering card for your opponent, but not a butt-saving card when the combat has already started.

I've been thinking about deck building and faction gameplay flavour. My head hurts. We can see Space Marines have some "put into combat" cards, that may define they play style. But as far as we know, there is no limit to the number of allied cards you can include in your deck, and what determines your factions is your warlord. So we assume your faction play style is defined by your warlord and he/she's signature squad, in the case of Sicarius, harpooning-kill-repeat. Sicarius' play style looks like he will be snowballing resources and a favorable start will make heavy hitters to come really soon.

Can't wait for other factions previews, specially for the Eldar (which i'm not a real fan of) and they exhaust mechanics (what i really expect they will focus on, (and planet swaping)).

I agree, I cannot wait to hear more news of the factions. So far, I really want to see more of the Imperial Guard, I am thinking that the Warlord for them really synergies with the Space Marines, since almost all of the space marine characters have the soldier keyword.

• Ironswimsuit likes this

Ironswimsuit

Ironswimsuit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1081 posts

Imperial Guard is this week! Cheap units might also work well with Cato. Ranged attacks that kill get resources which can drop eager recruits, and such... I do like how the Chosen just murder the rogue trader and void pirates for fun.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

I'll be getting w/e amount I need for a full set, but until the card distribution is out i will not be pre-ordering. Most sites have the pre-orders open now, but with out knowing how many to buy I just can order them.

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

I think the cards are supposed to signify more than just one character or ultramarine on a planet. Looking at the card Tactical Squad, it has the keywords soldier, Ultramarine. but it is many ultramarines. I think that concept is for all of the cards. Just my thoughts. 

A fair thought, but some of the cards are clearly one dude.

While this is fine for heroic characters, like Cato Sicarius, or even Veteran Brother Maxos, it makes less sense for a card like Eager Recruit, 10th Company Scout, Goff Nob, Enraged Ork, One Engraged Ork, Incubus Warrior. These are single troops, and hitting well above weight when places along side stuff like Tactical Squad, let alone a Helldrake.

For single heroic characters, fine: the nature of 40k is such that they are in keeping with scale with many times their number of troops. Also fine is when the number of people is left ambiguous, like "Biel Tan Guardians". But a tactical squad is 10 marines.

Even if they'd chosen (which they haven't) to have all cards represent a squad-sized level of force, thats still a smaller number of troops than you'd field in a 2000 point battle of 40k, which normally is meant to represent a single conflict point on a single world. When you're deploying on a strategic scale across multiple worlds it should be Ultramarines Tactical Company, Imperial Guard Armoured Fist Division and so on. I'd even have no problem with them going with the "fiction" feel of Space Marines and having single Space Marine squads mixing it up with whole Orkish hordes on an even footing.

What doesn't work is when you're deploying a ratling sniper, a veteran brother maxos, a leman russ tank and that's it, then holding a planet with it.

Tobogan

Tobogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

When I started looking at the cards, I was so glad they mostly include affiliation traits, mostly for the Space Marines, Chaos, Imperial Guard and Eldar. After checking the cards again, still don't see any kabal, caste or clan affiliation for either the Dark Eldar, Tau nor Orks. Even Nazdreg has no Bad Moon trait!!!!! I don't really like that, was waiting for more cards to show up, but if the own ork warlord have no affiliation... that's sad for me :( (would also like Zarathur had a chapter trait, not only Tzeentch).

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

yeah, the game isn't very heavy on the lore unfortunately.

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

When I started looking at the cards, I was so glad they mostly include affiliation traits, mostly for the Space Marines, Chaos, Imperial Guard and Eldar. After checking the cards again, still don't see any kabal, caste or clan affiliation for either the Dark Eldar, Tau nor Orks. Even Nazdreg has no Bad Moon trait!!!!! I don't really like that, was waiting for more cards to show up, but if the own ork warlord have no affiliation... that's sad for me :( (would also like Zarathur had a chapter trait, not only Tzeentch).

Damn, you're right. Even the Goff Nob isn't a Goff.
And you're right - it seems very asymmetrical for Space Marines to get chapter affiliations but Chaos Space Marines not.

Even though I'm saying again and again that its the quality of the gameplay that is important, I'm getting increasingly worried here that whoever is in charge of card design has very limited love for or attention towards the lore of the setting.

This may prove a dealbreaker for me if we keep spotting stuff like this in the previews.

Tobogan

Tobogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

For me, those "lore traits" is the perfect implementation of gameplay and lore in the same factor. I always love the combination of traits and making a thematic deck that also works and synergizes.

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2090 posts

I appreciate that adding extra and often irrelevant keywords can be quite unnecessary but I too am a fan. I feel it can open up new avenues later on in the games life.

• Tragic likes this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

In regards to Zarathur it is quite possible he is unaligned. It's not unknown for Chaos Space Marines, or it simply allows him to be part of whatever Legion you want him to be. He's not an established character from before this game as far as my research shows. Other Chaos Space Marines do have their legion. 

For the Dark Eldar so far it appears to focus on their caste within Dark Eldar society we have seen Beastmaster, Haemonculus, and Kabalite. 

For the Orks I know for years now the whole clan thing really hasn't mattered much in the miniature game, they again seem to focus more on their place within Orkish society. Nob, Boyz etc. 

Astra Militarum it is there place of origin (Catachan etc.) or in the case of Abhumans simply that. 

For Eldar, their Craftworld. 

Space Marines, chapter. 

Tau, I don't know if we have seen enough yet. 

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

And you're right - it seems very asymmetrical for Space Marines to get chapter affiliations but Chaos Space Marines not.

black-legion-heldrake.png

And there is Alpha Legion Infiltrator who has Alpha Legion as his affiliation. So we do see the Chaos Space Marine units Legion of origin on the cards. 

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2090 posts

I agree. Sometimes cards can get swamped down by unnecessary keywords.

I do tend to like 'faction' keywords though as they allow for thematic decks later on. An Ork support for example could give all Goff units +1 damage or something to that effect. I like themes within themes but appreciate it's not really required, just my preference.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Orks have keywords it's just not their clan, it's their place in society. They had to pick something to focus on and honestly an Ork's clan hasn't really been much of a thing in the miniature game since second edition days.