Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Space Marine Faction Preview

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2081 posts

You are right about that. Second edition was my favourite version of the game though and I always had a soft spot for the various clans. Granted, they have just come back into the tabletop in a big way. The Bad Moons army box is frickin' awesome (albeit expensive).

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

2nd is everyone's favorite. :D

Yeah I saw that the new Orks codex had just come out. 

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2081 posts
Even back in second edition though the clans had no variation other than a colour scheme. Maybe later editions of the game explored the clans a little more?

I liked second edition as I was a Space Wolf player and they were broken. I was too young to question my beardiness back then.
  • HappyDD likes this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Later editions the clans became even less evident. Not sure about this new 'dex as I am not sure it's even officially released yet. So I can see why FFG chose what they did in regards to Ork traits. 

Tobogan

Tobogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Chaos not only have legion affiliation, but some have a god affiliation. DE also have a trait for wyches. I do not really like it, as I would like more focus on kabals, since Eldar have a focus on craftworlds and I don't think they have a real impact on the tabletop game. I'm expecting Tau to have some caste traits, but i don't care much about them.

The problem may be integrating something so big like Space Marines in a single faction, but it never bothered me to have extra traits, even if they didn't have any use.

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Ok, yeah, I'm convinced on that I think. Hadn't noticed that some of the Chaos Marines get factions, thats fine by me then.

As others have said, Clans don't matter as much for Orks as much as they did in earlier editions, so I guess tats fine too.

Incidentally, my favourite edition is 6th. Basically for me, I feel the gameplay and the background detail has got better with every edition. Likely I'd say 7th was my favourite if I bought it, but the death of White Dwarf pretty much put the nail in the coffin of my 40k hobby, and now I'm happy to play an older rulesset with older minis with older friends who have no desire to remortgage their houses to rebuild their armies.

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

I'm happy to play an older rulesset with older minis with older friends who have no desire to remortgage their houses to rebuild their armies.

LOL that is why I cannot get into the tabletop game. 

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

White Dwarf has surprisingly gotten better since going to ebook only. I bought a couple of the 7th edition issues just to read up on what has changed. In some ways reminds me of 2nd edition. Issues have decent amount of actual info now for a weekly book. 

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2081 posts
Do you guys not have the magazine anymore? In the UK it is a weekly publication for around $4 an issue.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Weekly here too. I bought them on my iPad but think you can get in print in GW stores. 

Tobogan

Tobogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

In Spain we still have it printed at stores and news-stands/kiosks. That was weird for me to hear it was closed.

BobaFett

BobaFett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Damn, you're right. Even the Goff Nob isn't a Goff.
And you're right - it seems very asymmetrical for Space Marines to get chapter affiliations but Chaos Space Marines not.

Even though I'm saying again and again that its the quality of the gameplay that is important, I'm getting increasingly worried here that whoever is in charge of card design has very limited love for or attention towards the lore of the setting.

This may prove a dealbreaker for me if we keep spotting stuff like this in the previews.

I'm kind of starting to get the same feelings you are. Even from the start I thought to myself "how are they going to translate the epic tale top battles to the card game", and now the now I see and read, I'm seeing the translation isn't going to be great. I don't want to have a land raider, a scout, and brother what's his name at a planet when it should be much larger numbers of troops/vehicles. It will be even worse with horde style armies I think.

I wanted to feel like I was commanding armies across a planet/s and this is looking more and more like a pasted on the theme just to get us 40k fans to buy in.

Having said that, I have seen unit cards that are squads rather than individuals and hopefully that's what the vast majority of the non-unique, or vehicle units are.

I'm not saying they've lost me yet, but they are treading on thin ice from my perspective.

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

I'm in for now, I think, but worried that the IP may be mishandled.

I was somewhat disappointed with the treatment of Warhammer. Not because of the game balance, which I know some criticised, but more because the feel of some of the cards wasn't right in how they played. Yes, the Bloodthirster is a big honking bad guy, but was he really meant to be going on recruiting expeditions in the Quest Zone? Yes, the Empire are a combined arms force, but were they meant to be shifting around from zone to zone at high speed, running circles around armies that are more mobile in the fluff. Yes, the High Elves needed their own mechanic, but why healing? Thats Age of Reckoning, not WFB.

All in all it seemed like FFG had a vague awareness of the fluff and access to the internet, but no real love for the source material. With the number of fans out there who would have helped them with this stuff for free, and the number of game designers who love and know the material, this lack of attention to the specifics of the setting was somewhat inexcusable.

Now we have this game, which has all the right sort of general in the same universe vibe going on, but a lack of feel for the scope and scale of W40K fluff, which describes interplanetary conflicts as millions of men being fed into the meatgrinder. I wonder as well how the Tau will be treated, with their entirely different philosophy of war, or the Orks, with the fact that they've never been able to wholly control where their hordes go next. I understand that game balance limits some of these things, but if it doesn't feel like a 40k game, I'm going to be deeply discouraged.

DarkBlue

DarkBlue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Thank god I have no clue of the 40K universe what so ever, so I can basically plainly enjoy a game which I hope have good mechanics, is balanced and competitive and fun to play and watch. Lore or feel comes at second place for me this time.

I don't want to mock you Warhammer Fans, I think you have a viable concern. I just want to tell that your measurements for the game don't apply for me. So I am still looking forward to more spoilers and to finally get my hands on this game.

• Toqtamish, Ironswimsuit and MotoBuzzsawMF like this

Tobogan

Tobogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Card games has their own mechanics and idiosyncrasy. I cannot remember many healing mechanics in either Warhammer tabletop game (even in Mordheim!), but as for card games, it is a recurring mechanic. At least for the High Elves they changed that to indirect damage leading to a gamebreaking combo that had to be nerfed.

Also I was expecting for the orks to work like in WHI, cheap overwhelming horde of winnies, but looks like they are fleeing from that to a more beefy units focused dynamic. They've learned from their errors in the past.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

I am a 40K lore fan as anyone that has listened to me knows. I am not worried, I am just happy to be playing in the 40K universe again. 

• MotoBuzzsawMF likes this

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Sure, I guess so.

As long as it feels 40k, I'll buy into it, I think.

Re: the idiosyncracies, I can certainly see it being the case that if a load of art were commissioned first, it might have been considered that its better to call a card "scout" than "scouts" when the art is of one scout. Otherwise its hard to imagine why they deliberately chose to limit the scale in this way.

If this was the game that represented BIG formations in single cards, it would be unique in games based on the IP, and I think an opportunity has been missed.

Imagine if you will, a game where the entire Ultramarines Second Company is deployed in a single card, backed up by the Necromundan VIII Regiment ("The Spiders"), the Savlar Chem-Dogs and the Mordian Guard Iron Fist Armoured Division. There they'd run into the forces of the Skargrim Ruknar's Kult of Speed, in an unholy alliance with a Worldeaters Warband, the Third Grand Company of the Iron Warriors and a Flight of Harpies. Cato Sicarius would be there, as a command-boosting and special rule giving enhancement on the Second Company, backed up by Inquisitor Jaq Draco, and Commissar Yarrick. On the other side, Fabius Bile's experiments would have enhanced the war strength of the Worldeaters, and a Perilous Daemongate would be ready to spew forth reinforcements from the warp (aka the deck). Good thing the forces of order can call in a Grey Knight Intervention! BUt no, the battle turns against them, and Exterminatus is called. Many are sacrificed, but the gate is closed and the enemy is destroyed!

Now that's 40k!

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

I think that some may be getting to ahead of themselves on this. In the lore, the Astartes are the scalpel's of the emperor. So maybe limited number of them is applicable here. Or considering that when the combat is over, there is one owner of the planet, you could consider this the final battle to decide the planet, again, making limited troops more applicable. I am sure there will be army cards that represent a ton of troops but thinking that all of them would be that way is a mistake in my opinion. 

So far, I think they are doing a pretty good job with the universe and those that inhabit it. In war, there are always those individuals that rise above the others and 40k is no exception.

• Toqtamish likes this

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

Also, when a single ewok can take down a star destroyer in the Star Wars LCG and people are ok with it, I doubt that this issue with 40k is going to be game breaking. 

lol

• Ironswimsuit likes this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
What some are describing is sounding more like the Epic game system rather than 40K game system.