Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Astra Militarum Faction Preview

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=4898

WHK01-preview6-fan.png

guardsman-token.pngstrakens-command-squad.pngomega-zero-command.pngglorious-intervention.pngstrakens-cunning.pngcadian-mortar-squad.pngcaptain-markis.pngenginseer-augur.pngrockcrete-bunker.png

• Ironswimsuit likes this

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts

Interesting 'breeding' mechanic. Makes sense for Guard though. (Regardless of recent name changes they will always be guard to me :P )

Guard will be one of the factions that appeal most to me due the fact I love Commisars, especially Yarrick who I am certain will make an appearance somewhere.

• Tobogan and kamacausey like this

brimmstorm

brimmstorm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

IMO this game is looking to be pretty awesome. Can't wait for the full rulebook to come out and for GenCon when the first wave of starters are released!

• Toqtamish likes this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

As much as I was not a fan of the Astra Militarum in the miniature game I must admit they certainly have appeal here in Conquest. 

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts

I thought everyone loved Guard. Just nobody could afford them. ;)

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
I've never been a fan of just playing as humans in any game.

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2089 posts

Fair comment. 

I always liked the Mordian Iron Guard models and was a huge fan of the Death Korps of Krieg.

Tobogan

Tobogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Fun, I like them a lot. The swarming army will be Imperial Guard. Prepare your AOEs. For the token card, its cool, but if only 40 of this cards, counting on quimera tokens that have been already seen, are they going to include more of this in the battlepacks? At least we will have plenty of tokens by buying several copies of the core set.

Also, I see all of those cards are Imperial Guard only, the signature squad and loyal the others. Looks like we are having just plain units for the alliances, like the ratling or the psyker.

Edit: Also check that, Cadian Mortar Squad or Straken's Cunning will not work with Guardsmen tokens, because those are units but not "army" units. So, or they start with severe wording problems.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Edit: Also check that, Cadian Mortar Squad or Straken's Cunning will not work with Guardsmen tokens, because those are units but not "army" units. So, or they start with severe wording problems.

Not a wording problem, token units are different. 

theamazingmrg

theamazingmrg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts
Guard look very cool and I like the idea behind token units but I'm not impressed that I'll have to start buying small card sleeves (especially when they only have clear ones. I want art sleeves!)

Damn you FFG!

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

I'm not gonna bother sleeving my token units. Not like they get shuffled or anything like that. 

theamazingmrg

theamazingmrg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts
I'll be interested to see if the tournament rules require all cards (token or otherwise) to be sleeved. Or will it just be decks? Could be an easy way to force us all to buy that extra pack of mini sleeves.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

There is no rule in any of the other LCGs saying to sleeve your tokens so I cannot see it in this game. I do sleeve my SW force card tokens but that is more because I had extra clear sleeves. 

theamazingmrg

theamazingmrg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts
The difference is that Guardsman tokens actually affect the game state. Star Wars Force tokens simply denote a units commitment status, Guardsmen will actually participate in conflict.

I don't think they will have to be sleeved as they won't be shuffled (that we know of) but I'm still interested to see where the rules fall on the issue.

I'll be sleeving mine though as its a little jarring to me to have a mix of sleeved and unsleeved cards.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts
I'll probably eventually sleeve mine too. Yu Gi Oh sleeves should work too. Just not worried about as with 3 cores I'll have enough extras that if any get ruined just replace them.

Tobogan

Tobogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Card sleeve are mandatory so you cannot predict your incoming cards or opponets'. Tokens are not included in either deck, so I think there is no reason to sleeve them further than keeping them in mint condition.

• Toqtamish and KennedyHawk like this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

My thoughts exactly. 

fgerken

fgerken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Tokens will be smaller, as you can see this preview in comparison to the other pictures, and you need the US Mini Sleeves as mentioned in the discription of the game. You cannot shuffle them into your deck.

DarkBlue

DarkBlue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Looks pretty cool so far. I really hope, they are able to pull through, that each faction has it own play style. 

It will really hard to decide, which faction to play, and take a lot time of play testing. Because I don't have any clue about the factions, they are appealing to me equally interesting. Usually, I am not a "default human" player in RPGs, but even here the human races seem to have interesting backgrounds and lore. Damnit....

RedSquadronK

RedSquadronK

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

I've always been a big Guard fan back when I played the minis a little and in the lore in general and I think they're looking amazing in the cards as well!

That signature squad unit seems like so much value for 2 cost! He can win command struggles, do some damage (especially if Straken is with him), and then nets you another unit when he dies. Also a great target for some of the cool sacrifice effects we're seeing. Sign me up for the Imperial Guard!