Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Official Nate Rule Clarifications

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

kainveus

kainveus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Q:When there is no location in play, can I play Ride to Ruin to discard my ally?
A:No, you cannot play the card if there is no valid target for its effect.

kainveus

kainveus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Q:When I use Stand together,can I declare hero Beorn and other characters to defend an enemy together?
A:No. Since Beorn is immune to player card effects, you cannot declare him as a defender by a card effect.

kainveus

kainveus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Q:

After Gimli been destoryed, I play Grave Cairn to add his ATK to another hero, how many ATK can that hero get?(Gimli has no attachment)
A:

When you use Grave Cairn, you are targeting a character who has just left play. When a character leaves play, all tokens on that character are returned to the token bank and all attachments on that character are placed in the discard pile. Furthermore, the game text on dead heroes and allies in the discard pile is not active, so when you play Grave Cairn, the only attack value that you add is the target character’s printed attack strength.

kainveus

kainveus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Q:When playing Journey down the Anduin nightmare mode (2 players) last night, I found a question.The encounter deck only have 1 Eastern Crows,and I set Thalin to quest, does that mean no cards will came out this round?and if no enemy in play ,does that mean the next round also no cards with came out?
A:Thalin’s ability actually prevents the Eastern Crows from entering play by dealing its 1 damage “as it is revealed” - that means it’s Forced effect will not trigger because it isn’t active yet. So you will not shuffle it back into the encounter deck by itself. Instead, the nightmare card instructs the players to shuffle the encounter discard pile back into the encounter deck any time it is empty. So you will shuffle the entire encounter discard pile back into the deck instead of just the Eastern Crows.

kainveus

kainveus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Q:When Dain is ready, he has 2 willpower. Can he defends attacks made by The Witch-King in The Black Riders?
A:No. The rules state that "a character must exhaust to be declared as a defender." Once Dain is exhausted he is only 1 willpower and therefore cannot be declared as a defender against The Witch-king.

kainveus

kainveus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Q:When Striking Tentacle attacks , when need I discard card? before declare defender or after?
> And also for Thrashing Tentacle, when to discard?before I can use cards to add attack power or after?
A:The Forced effect on Striking Tentacle triggers immediately after it is declared as an attacker and before defenders are declared.
Thrashing Tentacle forces you to resolve its effect immediately after you declare an attack against it. You can take actions after resolving that Forced effect before the attack resolves.

kainveus

kainveus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Q:After Murzag attacks and an new enemy engage with me , should I deal a shadow card to it when it attacks me ?
A:If Murzag's effect puts an enemy into play engaged with you during the Resolve Enemy Attacks portion of the combat phase, that enemy will attack you but it will not be dealt a shadow card. Enemies are dealt shadow cards at the beginning of the combat phase, when they make an additional attack, or when they attack outside of the combat phase. But if an enemy engages you during the Resolve Enemy Attacks portion of the combat phase, it is not dealt a shadow card.

kainveus

kainveus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Q: Does Bilbo's ability consided as draw 2 cards at one time or two times?
A:Since Bilbo says the first player "draws 1 additional card" it means that it is part of the same draw action, but instead of drawing just 1 card you draw 2.

kainveus

kainveus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Q:In "flight from Moria",the quest card"hasty council" says “Reveal the top 2 cards of the quest deck. Choose 1 to become the active quest(flipped to side 2B) and put the other on the bottom of the quest deck.”,when doing this ,shall I look at both 2B sides and then choose ,or random choose and flip one ?

A:When you "reveal" cards from a deck, you do look at the "hidden" side, that was facedown in the deck. So you do look at side 2B of each of the revealed cards before making your choice. 

kainveus

kainveus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Q:If I use several characters to make an attack towards one enemy, and only one Dwarf character take part in this attack,can I use Heavy Stroke and what will happen?
A:You will decide how the damage is applied in that situation. For example, I attack a 5 defense enemy with Aragorn (attack 3), Legolas (attack 3), and Gimli (attack 2). To get the most effective use of Heavy Stroke, I assign Aragorn's and Legolas' attack strength first in order to beat the enemy's defense by 1. I apply Gimli's last so that none of his attack strength is absorbed by the enemy's defense and he is dealing 2 damage, for a total of 3 damage. Then, I play Heavy Stroke to double Gimli's damage to 4 for a total of 5 damage dealt to the enemy. 

kainveus

kainveus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Q:When the combat phase ends,and I have a exhuasted hero attached with Watchful Eyes, then I reveal a new Watchful Eyes and attach it to another exhuasted hero, shall I reveal 1 addition card because of the new Watchful Eyes's effect? or it would not trigger in this round?
A:The second Watchful Eyes would trigger as well in that situation and you would need to reveal an additional encounter card.

kainveus

kainveus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Q:Black Uruks(KD54)reads:When revealed:The first player must choose and discard an attachment from a questing character.If albe.
> Driven by Shadow(CS92)reads:Shadow:Choose and discard 1 attachment from the defending character.(If this attack is undefended,discard all attachments you control)
> Cavern Gurdian(CS103)reads:Shadow:Choose and discard 1 attachment you control��
> So I wonder Cavern Gurdian's shadow effect can't help player to discard Caught in a Web,because player can't control it ,and Driven by Shadow didn't mention "you control" until undefended situation.so maybe it still can't help player to discard Caught in a Web.But Black Uruks didn't mention "you control"ï¼Oso can I use the effect to discard Freezing Cold(D23)?
A:Because the shadow effects on Black Uruks and Driven by Shadow don't specify "player card" or "you control" you can use them to discard an encounter card attachment.

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Rule Question:
In "Flight from Moria" there is a quest card called "Hasty Council" that reads...

"When Revealed: Shuffle all copies of A Foe Beyond from the encounter discard pile back into the encounter deck. Reveal the top 2 cards of the quest deck. Choose 1 to become the active quest (flipped to side 2B) and put the other on the bottom of the quest deck. Then, add Hasty Council to your victory display."

The text says "REVEAL the top 2 cards"... dose this mean the when revealed effects of each quest card trigger at this time (the 2B side).

Thanks
--Tragic

Answer
Hi Tragic,

When resolving the effect on Hasty Council, you only resolve the ‘when revealed’ effects on the quest stage that you choose to become the active quest. The other quest stage is placed on the bottom of the quest deck without resolving its effects.

Cheers,
Caleb

slothgodfather

slothgodfather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2951 posts

Q: Can you use Vilya's action when you are also using the hero Gandalf?

A: Yes, you can use Vilya’s Action when playing with hero Gandalf. It’s a very effective combo.

• mnBroncos likes this

windowlee

windowlee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Rule Question:
> Question 1.At the beginning of resource phaseï¼Omy deck is attached by the Iron Shakels and one of my hero is [Lore] Bilbo. What will happen in the resource phase? Should I discard the Iron Shakels and draw no card or discard the Iron Shakels and draw 1 card?It's a solo play and Iâ?~m the only player.
> Question 2.The Saruman enters play and resolve his effect:choose a location/enemy ,consider the chosen location/enemy is out of play.If any card(e.g Path of Need) has already attached to the chosen location/enemy,should I discard the attaching card or leave it in the stage area?
> Question 3.During the questing phase, I accumulated enough will power to put sufficient progress on both the active location and quest card.And an Ancient Mathom is attached to the active location, what happens?
> a)resolve the effect of Ancient Mathom first, first player draw three cards;or
> b)advance to the next stage and resolve any when revealed effect, then , resolve the effect of ancient mathom.

#1 - Since Bilbo allows you to draw “an additional” card during the resource phase, you draw 2 cards in the same action. That means Iron Shackles will prevent you from drawing both because it says “The next time a player would draw 1 or more cards…”
#2 - Saruman does not actually remove the chosen enemy / location from play. Instead, he causes it to be considered as if it is out of play. That means it does not contribute its threat strength, game text, etc. However, attachments and tokens on that card are also considered to be out of play (because the card they are attached to is) but they remain on that card.
#3 - Advance to the next stage, resolve any passive, Forced or ‘when revealed’ effects, and then resolve the Response effect on Ancient Mathom.
Cheers,
Caleb

acedrac

acedrac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Scenario Peril in Pelargir (Heirs of Númenor Deluxe Expansion):

Q: Is it possible to discard Local Trouble (Treachery Card that counts as Condition Attachment) by shadow effect of enemy Pickpocket? What does "his attachments" stand for? Is it the same as "attachment he controls" or not? Does Pickpocket's shadow effect discard attached Alcaron's Scroll?

A: The text “One of his attachments” should be interpreted to mean “an attachment he controls.” Since the defending player does not control Local Trouble or Alcaron’s Scoll, they are both invalid targets for this shadow effect.
Cheers,
Caleb

--

CORRECTION FROM CALEB:

Hi,
I have to amend my previous answer to your question after reviewing the FAQ. Item 1.07 Control of Objective Cards specifies: “When a player claims an objective card, he gains control of that card unless otherwise directed by card a effect.” So, it is not possible to discard Local Trouble by the shadow effect of Pickpocket, but you could choose Alcaron’s Scroll if it was attached to a hero you controlled.
Sorry for the confusion.
Cheers,
Caleb

slothgodfather

slothgodfather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2951 posts

Thanks for that clarification.  But that makes me question how Cave Torch works, since it is something I'd assume we'd have to control in order to use it's ability.

OKTarg

OKTarg

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1756 posts

Thanks for that clarification.  But that makes me question how Cave Torch works, since it is something I'd assume we'd have to control in order to use it's ability.

I would say that it (Cave Torch) is in fact an attachment you control. 

I think there is another shadow effect in Core/Mirkwood that just says "discard an attachment" and you can use that effect to get rid of nasty conditions. 

slothgodfather

slothgodfather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2951 posts

What establishes the difference between Cave Torch and the Scroll?

OKTarg

OKTarg

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1756 posts
FFG-ness :)

Perhaps I need to think through this further.
  • slothgodfather likes this