Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

It is a crime that there is no Marvel LCG

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2091 posts
Gospel.

theamazingmrg

theamazingmrg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 901 posts

I do like Green Lantern comics, but that movie, it ruined Hal Jordan for me.

Every year I force myself to pick up a non-GL DC book for the year, and it never sticks. This year I'm getting Flash and I like it so far (it could be that it has the same creative team as Green Lantern :\)

The Flash is one of my favourite comics.  Normally I'm a Marvel fan but I love Barry Allen.  The Pilot for the new show is pretty awesome too.

Personally I think not letting people play the villains would be a missed opportunity, lots of people like being the bad guys.  Besides, it's like not heroes don't fight heroes sometimes anyway.  You barely even need justification for it.

Hell, there are enough "reformed villains"/"renegade heroes" around that a strict "heroes vs. villains" theme isn't necessary (the current Magneto/Cyclops/Wolverine thing of the past few years for example).  Just a game where you field cool characters with cool powers and get to beat someone around the face with your cards.  It's all we  want! 

• Darksbane, fourhorsemen and KennedyHawk like this

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2091 posts
Lately I have been reading a fair amount of Shazam. Excellent stuff.

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2091 posts
Vs system anounced at Gencon..

An LCG.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Vs system anounced at Gencon..

An LCG.

I saw that it was announced as returning. Did not know it was coming back in a LCG like format. 

Skelton

Skelton

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2091 posts
I only saw a very short clip but they do refer to it as an LCG.

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

If they bring it back exactly like they used to, I think I may have to invest.

I enjoyed Vs, and is the only game I have gone overseas to play to date.

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3595 posts

Although I thought vs didn't really capture the comic feel for me this is great news. Doesn't Cryptozoic have the DC license now though. I guess the relaunch will be Marvel only.

NuFenix

NuFenix

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

If it is Marvel only, that will be a kick in the crotch for me as I read DC and not Marvel, so it won't interest me as much :(

Further details here
http://boardgamegeek...con-2014vs-back

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3595 posts

LoL they printed "Living Card Game" right on the card backs, Upper Deck never learns...

• LucasBarton likes this

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

LoL they printed "Living Card Game" right on the card backs, Upper Deck never learns...

Wow really ?

Yeah I won't be buying this. Upper deck as a company lost any of my faith after the I wow tcg days.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Interesting, I hadn't heard about this yet. I agree though that Upper Deck hasn't earned much trust from the fans.

shinobishaw

shinobishaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Pictures and a brief reaction, for any interested parties. We didn't much touch the (likely) legal issues surrounding the LCG term since we don't really know enough to comment on it. I'm sure someone will ask CTP tomorrow during the In-Flight report. If not I'll just keep my hand raised for the whole Q&A session.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

I completely agree with your second reviewer shinobishaw. Pretty lackluster effort for sure. 

Ywingscum

Ywingscum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Without having seen this thread, I e-mailed FFG my idea of how a marvel lcg could play, and the expandability of it (i had a pretty detailed layout/base rules).  LOL, clearly they must get a dozen of those a day

seanum44

seanum44

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Lcg just refers to the format of the distribution .... Collectable card game means buy thousands or packs looking for what your looking for and never find it.... Lcg takes rarities out of the mix and makes it cheaper of a game to play... But 1 or 2 boxes of the cards and u have enough for 2 decks of every team realeasd!!!!
Amazing that they are releasing the game again I'm so excited now I'm just looking for an instructional play mat so that I can teach people to play.

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Lcg just refers to the format of the distribution .

Incorrect. Living Card Game is trademarked term owned by FFG. Upper Deck does not have the rights to it and this game if it happens will be changing its name. 

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

It's sort of like Kleenex.  Although the general population understands the term "LCG" to refer to a non-collectable version of a CCG, the actual term is trademarked and other companies cannot use it.  That's why Alderac coined the term "ECG" (Expandable Card Game) to refer to their Doomtown: Reloaded game.  Upper Deck on the other hand failed to do even the most basic research before infringing.  I mean seriously, they could have asked basically ANYONE who actually plays an LCG and gotten this information.

• Darksbane, Toqtamish, LucasBarton and 2 others like this

LucasBarton

LucasBarton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

I mean seriously, they could have asked basically ANYONE who actually plays an LCG and gotten this information.

Or a 5-minute web search. :-P

I'm seriously surprised they got that far without finding it out by accident.

brimmstorm

brimmstorm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
UD has officially announced that VS will be back this coming GenCon. Start saving your pennies.

http://us1.campaign-...a&id=031e85bcf9