Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Zarathur Deck Thread

Chaos Zarathur

• Please log in to reply
709 replies to this topic

Slick

Slick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Have you tried with the Staff Asklepios? It's quite amazing when coming with the warlord train. Yes, you do telegraph when you attach it on a ready unit at a planet,but its not like they can stop you if you outcommand. Plus its 3 dmg to any unit warlord included. I found with 3 staff things get a lil crazy

• Skyknight and Optinv67 like this

Grimbo

Grimbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
With the necron box coming in less than 10 days, does that make Zarathur and Chaos really strong again? They are home to the best collection of elites, elite reducers, and of course the teleportarium.

Whatever this small post final gambit meta is, it looks to be obliterated post Necrons.
  • Slick likes this

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Have you tried with the Staff Asklepios? It's quite amazing when coming with the warlord train. Yes, you do telegraph when you attach it on a ready unit at a planet,but its not like they can stop you if you outcommand. Plus its 3 dmg to any unit warlord included. I found with 3 staff things get a lil crazy

Haven't tried it with DE. Was a bad match for my Zaraswarm deck, but  I think I have to consider it.

Jamesy

Jamesy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

I ran Zarathur to a 7th place finish in the UK Midlands Regional Championship this past Saturday, and had a lot of fun doing so even if I did have a colossal headache by the end of it. I went 4-1 in swiss, beating Nazdreg, Kith, Zogwort and Mavros, with the loss being to Eldaroth. My loss in the quarterfinals was to a second Kith deck.

Both my losses can be attributed to command snowballing, however I did make some very questionable decisions in the opening turn of the quarterfinals that essentially gave away a Tarrus activation, and three additional cards from a Void Pirate at Elouith command struggle. It was a learning experience though, and I'm very happy with my overall performance.

Here's what I took;

Warlord: Zarathur, High Sorcerer

Army (30)

4x Zarathur's Flamers

2x Berzerker Warriors

3x Chaos Fanatics

3x Gleeful Plague Beast

3x Heretek Inventor

2x Noise Marine Zealots

2x Rogue Trader

3x Rotten Plaguebearers

3x Snakebite Thug

3x Splintered Path Acolyte

2x Void Pirate

Attachment (6)

1x Mark of Chaos

2x Promotion

3x Slaanesh's Temptation

Event (10)

2x Infernal Gateway

2x Nurgling Bomb

3x Promise of Glory

3x Tzeentch's Firestorm

Support (4)

1x Shrine of Warpflame

3x Ammo Depot

So a fairly standard Zaraswarm build in most regards. Upped the number of 1-drops to ten in order to help lower the curve for Ammo Depot whilst strengthening the command game. Heretek Inventor is a great early game card in my opinion, and I'm never sad to see it in my opening hand. Still running the Noise Marine Zealots for the Infernal Gateway combo as well, although I did deploy them normally once or twice at planets where I was going to have initiative. The only other oddities are my tech choices of Berzerker Warriors (good brawler that has synergy with the deck) and Nurgling Bomb (emergency evasion for Zarathur and a mini Warpstorm in one), both of which pulled their weight throughout the tournament. 

All in all I think it's a great deck that is still a lot of fun to play, and it was a great tournament. 

• BayushiSezaru likes this

dnapolitano

dnapolitano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

I recently got into Zarathur after not playing him much. Below is my take on the Dark Eldar alliance. It relies heavily on the command game and choking opponent resources and leans on removal effects and direct damage over combat attacks.  I'm playing through an Ork alliance concept which I may post later if it is any good.

Plaguebeast is not in deck and I'm running 2 Warpstorms.  I rely more on damage that doesn't hit my side of the board. Staff of Change and Promotion helps protect my units when I do need to use Warpstorm.  I was running Mark of Slaanesh as another deploy delay/cheap attachment for protection but with testing felt that Gut and Pillage was more essential so swapped out. Deep Strike also helps because you can fire off Warpstorm prior to start of battle.

In terms of success versus elite decks, the Purveyor is not as useful but does help to alleviate buddy units like sig units and Snakebite thug that an elite deck may be running. Were elites not a thing I would be running 3x of these.  Otherwise the strong command and Temptation help limit an elite deck's options and the direct damage effects can wear down what threats are presented.

The deck is strong in my experience but not OP. I played in BCL and my alignment wheel and I am about 50% win with it.  Very strong match up against Worr. Deck suffers from card choke and flops with low card draw. Played game versus Kith and I felt deck matched well but you're up against Palace there and no means of support removal so card draw/choke is a problem. Not strong against Eldorath/Eldar elites due to the strong command on that end and Nullify. 

Zarathur Resource Choke
by: dnapolitano

Warlord
Zarathur, High Sorcerer  (Core Set)

Army (27)
3   Rogue Trader  (Core Set)
3   Sslyth Mercenary  (Gift of the Ethereals)
3   Void Pirate  (Core Set)
3   Chaos Fanatics  (Core Set)
2   Incubus Warrior  (Core Set)
4   Zarathur's Flamers  (Core Set)
1   Noise Marine Zealots  (The Threat Beyond)
2   Noise Marines Warband  (Searching for Truth)
2   Purveyor of Hubris  (Against the Great Enemy)
3   Prodigal Sons Disciple  (Deadly Salvage)
1   Sathariel the Invokator  (Jungles of Nectavus)

Attachment (10)
1   Mark of Chaos  (Core Set)
3   Promotion  (Core Set)
3   Staff of Change  (Wrath of the Crusaders)
3   Slaanesh's Temptation  (Descendants of Isha)

Event (12)
2   Gut and Pillage  (What Lurks Below)
2   Infernal Gateway  (Core Set)
3   Archon's Terror  (Core Set)
2   Warpstorm  (Core Set)
3   Tzeentch's Firestorm  (Core Set)

Support (1)
1   Shrine of Warpflame  (Core Set)

Deck Built using www.traxissector.com

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Have you considered Rotten Plaugebearers in that deck Dan? They'd help you in your ability to wreck your opponents command game and would also help justify taking Promise of Glory, which cheapens the deck

dnapolitano

dnapolitano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
I have, but in this build the two hammers in the 2 cost range I feel are more effective. Staff of change delivers a better punch though I do see that they aren't equivalent in function. In terms of Pog, I just don't have the demons in this build to make that card stand out. Zealots are more of a trick card but if I don't have them in hand I'm typically holding back a Flamer for use with Gateway and so the deploy cost help isn't always needed. I'd go with SPA first though I cut them already.

Similar builds can be done with kugath or Catman with a slight shift in focus and perhaps Pog/plaguebearers are more effective there. Zara offers more damage versatility with command units attack boost, direct damage, and gateway offering backup for P1 if zarathur is needed elsewhere to lock down command. I think prodigal disciple is important for the command, hp, and two hit that they offer. With Catman Pog is essential because sig squad offers even more control of the limited units opponent is putting out under resource choke and Pog fuels the deploy of these and their ability. Though in catman I've historically run a crappy cultist where plaguebearer would slot in (psychopath, elite groupie, even umbral I've tried) in order to have some cultist back up. Kugath reduces the amount you need to spend on combat units and can make opponent self govern their P1 attempts under a strong command pressure. Pog and plaguebearer could work fine there.

Kaloo

Kaloo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Fair enough, those are all valid points :). I've not really experimented with the Staff much, but I've used the Plaugebearers in both Morn and Nazdreg to great effect, given that I was running 2-3 PoGs for 7-8 daemons. They do a good job whittling down your opponent's units and/or shields and have built in anti-Promotion tech (assuming the opposing unit's hp is adequately low enough). Although I suppose in your deck the aim is to win as many commands as possible rather that just tieing them up, so the 2 hammer blokes probably make more sense.

Do you feel that you have enough Gateway targets? From what I can see it's just the Flamers and the Noise Marines, which is only 5 cards. Although I guess there's hardly anything actually worth taking given you want to have spike damage other than more Noise Marines

dnapolitano

dnapolitano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Fair enough, those are all valid points :). I've not really experimented with the Staff much, but I've used the Plaugebearers in both Morn and Nazdreg to great effect, given that I was running 2-3 PoGs for 7-8 daemons. They do a good job whittling down your opponent's units and/or shields and have built in anti-Promotion tech (assuming the opposing unit's hp is adequately low enough). Although I suppose in your deck the aim is to win as many commands as possible rather that just tieing them up, so the 2 hammer blokes probably make more sense.

Do you feel that you have enough Gateway targets? From what I can see it's just the Flamers and the Noise Marines, which is only 5 cards. Although I guess there's hardly anything actually worth taking given you want to have spike damage other than more Noise Marines

The Gateway targets are limited though I'm not often deploying Flamers outright.  I typically save them for Gateway. Zealots are entirely gateway unless I am undergoing choke. Gateway is less a combat addition and more of a backup for planet 1 route. This helps me deploy a good command downstream and if temptation is in play or Purveyor at p1 I'm usually in a good place where I can leave 1 unit at p1 and and Zara committing elsewhere to win command. This exposes me to opponent flicking unit off 1 so we both loose the planet and gateway helps drop in any unit, even fanatics.  Zealots expand this to protecting versus opponent snipe.  But as a whole yes, gateway is less consistently an option in this build.

Staff of change is pretty awesome.  A downside to it is that it is Tzeentch and not the card you want to be pulling up with Zarathur's support near end of game.

You're correct on the plaguebearers.  I'm fine with opponent having unit there provided I win command. I see the value in a PB, just a different approach.

Kostikbax

Kostikbax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
not sure if it was noticed or intentional or what have you, but the haps thread is locked. ...did someone get drunk again?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chaos, Zarathur