Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

new spoilers from rogue squadron

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

Fnnrqwin

Fnnrqwin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

It just saddens me every single time ANY pod is spoiled there are the usual suspects picking apart how awful the pod is and how it will never see the light of day in competition, and oh... the best comment so far is up a few posts... that actually complained about pods being "fun". I guess each is entitled to opinions, I just wish that the opinions weren't so limited to whether you can win a game in a sweaty comic shop and bring home a silly old play mat.

This is the single greatest sentiment I've seen in any post ever posted on this forum.

• Toqtamish and bigfomlof like this

hundreds

hundreds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

I said I appreciated your opinion. I think at the very least you shouldn't mock others who do want to win a game in a sweaty comic shop and bring in a silly play mat ;0

Agreed. And I am forgetting that for some, that IS the meta. SO I apologize for being a bit narrow-minded. I still think that playing the "best" decks all the time to "win" is kinda boring... ;)

• GroggyGolem likes this

hundreds

hundreds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

This is the single greatest sentiment I've seen in any post ever posted on this forum.

Whoa.

I'll be here all week.

Fnnrqwin

Fnnrqwin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

POPULAR

I'm so tired of reading posts complaining about how every single pod that's announced is totally worthless just because it has a character with under 3 health or because it doesn't have black objective damage or any of that nonsense. FFG is clearly aiming to make a game with a variety of strategies that players can actually enjoy, but everybody complains that the sets aren't competitive enough (and for some reason the only way to define competitive play is only playing with pods with high health units, black icons, no duplicates, and not relying on any sort of combo what-so-ever). It just makes me wonder why all these people even bother playing this game if they hate every set so much. There are other things to spend your money and time on if you don't like this.

• Toqtamish, bigfomlof, Disguise and 7 others like this

Toots

Toots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

This sets about attacking. Scum to me has problems with defending and winning edge. If you attack you are just going to get more units locked out and have less for edge to defend with.

If this set was Sith, it would be great because you tend to have more throw away big cost cards with edge icons to the point you can attack and still defend as well as you have protector's for losing the edge and not having your units killed. 

Scum would have to splash sith to run this set properly, and this is why I don't think its competitive. You can call me a complainer etc all you like, but until it comes out and until you have seen it in action, thats when the real judge and jury comes into it, so for all the negative opinions about the set it could be justified. 

I'm tired of reading all the posts complaining about people having negative opinions. It's a forum, its for discussion. If people want to be negative about new cards because it doesn't really address the flaws of a certain faction then it should be allowed. I complain for the simple reason of I would like more options when a big event comes along, not rock up and face Gamor jedi x 5 + sith x 5 all day. 

Fnnrqwin

Fnnrqwin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Why would a set designed specifically around losing edge battles need to splash Sith? This set opens up new strategies. Yes, this set is about attacking. Scum has problems on defense and on winning edge. This set shows that Scum doesn't really need to worry about losing edge - in fact, now losing edge is advantageous. That's a different kind of strategy than Sith or Navy have. It's fine that Scum isn't as good at defense as offense. The entire point of having three affiliations on each side is to present unique strategies and play styles for each one. Fixing problems in design should absolutely not be about making every single affiliation play like Sith or Smugglers. Scum and Navy suck at edge? Take advantage of that in card design! Rebel units have low health? Great! Make them not need to care about their units dying every turn! If every affiliation has all the answers, then FFG might as well abandon the affiliation system.

Boreas

Boreas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

There's only one unit that take advantage when losing edge. Objective isn't that easy to use. When you attack with crap unit without blasts then opponent can ignore it, then you win an edge, deal 1 damage and do not capture a card. Or he can defend with Loyalist and focus your other unit. Dannik may have black icons as an attacker, but you still strike second when you lose an edge.

• BrianV likes this

Toots

Toots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

So you send Dannik and greedo in like they are trying to sell it, lose edge, watch Dannik get killed and then have 0 icons. You need sith because protect character. 

Losing edge is not a theme for any faction, its a game mechanic not a faction mechanic. You want to win edge so you can focus people or kill targets before they do crazy stuff. If you let Yoda strike because you lose edge first you are going to lose 2 targets before you get to strike and who wants that to be the main aim of the deck?

KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1890 posts

So you send Dannik and greedo in like they are trying to sell it, lose edge, watch Dannik get killed and then have 0 icons. You need sith because protect character. 

Losing edge is not a theme for any faction, its a game mechanic not a faction mechanic. You want to win edge so you can focus people or kill targets before they do crazy stuff. If you let Yoda strike because you lose edge first you are going to lose 2 targets before you get to strike and who wants that to be the main aim of the deck?

Or you send them in with a swam of low cost units that do one unit damage forcing them to take a lot of objective damage or lose a unit.

Those droids from IG88's pod are cheap, as are the gamorean guards.

Send in Dannik with 4 of those guys, you'll get at least three damage on Yoda. It's not very hard with scum to set up a swarmy board, this set just forces them to defend your unit damage swarm.

Honestly the set has been previewed for what 2 days? We don't know anything about 12/14 other sets from the cycle that will be out by then. Not to mention that scum is one of the big box factions. I understand you don't like the previewed cards but just be happy at this rate we are getting new cards.... someday. If I was FFG I wouldn't worry about appeasing people because from what I read it's all doom and gloom  no one is ever pleased. In all the card games I've played/play I've never seen so much whining about new cards not being competitive enough. Even when IG88 was spoiled people were all excited, now everyone seems to write off the pod. If you can't have fun with the game why play it?

• Toqtamish, scwont, Fnnrqwin and 2 others like this

TGO

TGO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2588 posts

Or you send them in with a swam of low cost units that do one unit damage forcing them to take a lot of objective damage or lose a unit.

Send in Dannik with 4 of those guys, you'll get at least three damage on Yoda. It's not very hard with scum to set up a swarmy board, this set just forces them to defend your unit damage swarm.

Honestly the set has been previewed for what 2 days? We don't know anything about 12/14 other sets from the cycle that will be out by then. Not to mention that scum is one of the big box factions. I understand you don't like the previewed cards but just be happy at this rate we are getting new cards.... someday. If I was FFG I wouldn't worry about appeasing people because from what I read it's all doom and gloom  no one is ever pleased. In all the card games I've played/play I've never seen so much whining about new cards not being competitive enough. Even when IG88 was spoiled people were all excited, now everyone seems to write off the pod. If you can't have fun with the game why play it?

common sense and rational thinking will not be tolerated in these parts!

How dare you sir!

colsanders

colsanders

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
I think the set is fine and has some possibilities. However, the only spoiler I'm waiting for is when Between the Shadows will release.
  • hundreds, GroggyGolem and SeeThreebilbo like this

TGO

TGO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2588 posts

I think the set is fine and has some possibilities. However, the only spoiler I'm waiting for is when Between the Shadows will release.

It is already out in Spain. I am surprised they havent posted any spoilers yet.

• skatepharmacy and colsanders like this

SeeThreebilbo

SeeThreebilbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

How dare you sir!

More boos and hisses from meeeee

darthbs

darthbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
Attempting to think outside the box here.

We have highlighted that this set may work well with a swarm but edge is also important.

I think this will usher in a aggro scum deck. Less tactics and more blast.

Start with superior numbers and navy then go swarm with scum sets. The headhunter from shadows looks good coming out of the carrier or objective (apart from on the first turn) the shield can help protect it or the chud from this set when going in. Precision flying can help with edge. Then worse case they have a choice who to pick off.

There's lots of potential but I echo col statement. We need shadows. In my eyes it's a year too late and would have been ideally suited when balance came out. But that's another rant for another thread.

Keep the faith!
  • SeeThreebilbo likes this

hundreds

hundreds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

It is already out in Spain. I am surprised they havent posted any spoilers yet.

Never gets old.

SeeThreebilbo

SeeThreebilbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1819 posts

Keep the faith!

Ooops, messed up the quote, but yes, I will light a candle.

And speaking of aggro Scum, the new Boba Fett certainly fits that bill.  I definitely hope a more aggressive playstyle becomes an option at some point for Scum.

BrianV

BrianV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

I'm confused unless the mercenary is attacking alone he'll have unit damage, so every unit in this set has unit damage, best yet if he's attacking with the main it will be a black unit damage instead of white.

It'd be insane to attack alone as a single heat will kill you. I think with the large number of cheap units in S&V this unit can be a powerhouse in some decks (assuming you can keep him alive). Those IG88 droids, and jawa's will work really nice with the chuds in this set.

also Jedi set looks to include Vima Da Boda.

From the product page we'll be getting Jedi Master Qu Rahn in pack 2, so that's two new unique Jedi units already.

There's a little blurb about interrogating prisoners with Sith on the product page for this pack as well, so maybe some more capture support for non S&V factions.

I'm confused too on why you replied to my post.

I said "basically no unit damage unless your are attacking every turn", meaning it does have situational UD albeit bad for the DS situational UD. Point being as the DS even with a hyper aggressive deck you have to defend at least a little bit. If you think you can outpace my damage with a one black blast unit and kill 4-5 objectives before I can kill 3 as the LS - lol. This unit wouldn't be as bad with the LS, but if you draw two of these your first turn as the DS you are in trouble. You just gave your opponent the board state and you can't even defend, let's pray that they didn't draw a TS unit, cuz you just wasted a whole turn. People saying that these units are great with Dannik are cracking me up, yeah, if you even draw him and are able to outpace your opponent. These things are still 1 health and 2 cost.

As far as the Jedi comment, I was talking about the art. I said that. Because if you haven't noticed, usually even in Jedi events and enhancements there is a picture of a Jedi. I never said anything about there not being Jedi units. Maybe it was just a coincidence that you made a Jedi comment that followed your reply to my post and said "and". I don't know, maybe you didn't really read my post.

Anyway, I'm not really excited about this Scum pod nor do I think it's a viable two of unless we get a lot more units like new Boba that can one shot objectives and just try to not defend at all and pray for corrupt official mitigation.

Edit: typing on a tablet

Toots

Toots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

But just because we haven't seen most of the cards doesn't mean I can't form an opinion based off Scums weakness etc. The problem I see is lack of protectors, meaning you need to splash sith to do it, which then devalues some scum cards like pay out and corrupt officials. 

Losing edge is bad,. losing edge with no protectors is worse. 

How dare you sir!

You don't think its rational to look at the meta, then look at scum's problems and compare them and point out this set's not a huge help and has a flaw?

• BrianV likes this

BrianV

BrianV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

My issue is actually what Boreas said. The problem with this pod is it really isn't advantageous to lose the edge like the blurb says. You capture a card if you managed to draw the obj. That's really it. Even in your scenario, if the dial is at 3 (which it most likely is because you aren't going to be able to get a swarm on turn one) and I win edge... I kill Jerriko, you lost his ability, I focus down an advosze, you get three blast through. You just spent 11 resources for 3 blast against my 3 (maybe 2 with Yoda, you seek Yoda). Which means you just spent several turns for that turn where you attacked with 5 units vs my 1 for 3 blast and you lost your best unit and didn't touch my unit - not very efficient. In reality, I probably have other units on the board and am about to wreak havoc on my turn and you have zero defense. Maybe you have a bunch of corrupt officials, maybe I was dumb enough to defend with two units and you happened to keep an entangled IF my other unit sucks. It just seems like it took you awhile to get that board and it didn't do much for you. If I have any TS, it's game over.

I'm not being negative Nancy, when The Slave Trade was spoiled, I was the first one on that thread to say how awesome I thought it was and how it was key to winning edge battles etc. Go look it up. I just don't think you can say you are going to make a deck that can swarm with essentially zero blast. Because your example of Iggy droids and Gamoreeans would add no blast at all to this pod that still doesn't even have much blast. 1 blast is not that much, sorry. You'd just have to pray you draw Slave I or new Boba. You're not going to defend, so you have to add corrupt official, there's another pod with zero blast. Maybe new stuff will make this pod better, but I'm just keepin it real. :)

scwont

scwont

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

In all the card games I've played/play I've never seen so much whining about new cards not being competitive enough.

I play a few other card games and follow various forums, and I thought such whining was pretty standard actually! :)