Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nazdreg, Da Gitz Leeda! Deck Thread

• Please log in to reply
924 replies to this topic

Etaywah

Etaywah

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts
From what I have seen there has been no faction-specific thread about Orks. I'm kinda surprised to be honest because they are a lot of fun - absolutely god awful at command and plagued with the early-meta misunderstanding of how to use them - but fun none-the-less.

I'd like to point out some of the finer points of the Ork faction that I have seen and highlight their best cards. Please add any strategies you may have developed with Orks as they are a tricky faction that requires careful planning and, quite unfortunately, a good starting hand to make them work.

Let try to focus on Orks as a faction on their own instead of how to fix them by splashing too much of the other factions.

Top Cards (in my opinion, and not in any order):

Crushface - He's the man. He is the developer's answer to the Ork problem: command and resources. Against factions like the Tau, Eldar and, to a lesser extent (but still a major issue) the space marines, you're going to find a lot of problems with card draw, resource intake, and wining the command struggle in general. Any cards that mitigate these issues are hugely welcome. 2X in every deck, no exceptions.

Bigga Is Betta - A perfect card for this faction. In fact I are say that of the "squad-event" cards that are given to each Warlord, Bigga is Betta is probably the most useful and synergistic card in the game. It mitigates the resource issue while turning on cards like Bad Dok. Bad Dok mixed with this card can turn around command struggles and if you get the two in an opening hand I would typically recommend keeping your hand.

Nazdreg's Flash Gitz - Arguably the most fun card in the warlord set. Its mean, its cheap, it turns Nazdreg's brutal, and has one of the few "ready during combat" abilities in the game. All around fantastic. It also comes with the squad so justifying it here is not necessary. Just play it when you got it. Also Rokkit Launcha + Flash Gitz = win

Rugged Killa Kanz - Heavy. Brutal. Takes tons of damage and if they don't deal with him early he's going to deal tons of damage too. The selling point for me was the 2 command icons and Brutal/ Of all the guys in my hand THIS was the guy that would usually stick in my hand for a few turns because the question is: Can you afford it? I'll get to that later. 2x

Tankbusta Bommaz - Great if deployed to the same planet as Nazdreg. Typically I will try to get Tankbusta with my Warlord and Rugged on the planet where he is not for the use of the Brutal keyword. If the choice is between this guy or the Gitz, go with the Gitz unless there is a vehicle present.

Ork Kannon - Talk about a card that can be useful in the right deck, and downright terrible in the wrong one.
  • Pro's: Can kill off pirates, rogues, dead-eyes and a plethora of other 1 hp units committed to planets just for their command icons. Can also give that Brutal keyword the one tiny little bump it needs to go from a shield able-attack into a killing one. Any 1-cost support is a great way to delay your deployment moves to see if they have to make the dreaded "first deployment. Also unpreventable damage to "anti-targeted" cancels.
  • Con's: Can be almost completely useless at times. Has to wait till first combat to turn on Bad Dok. Does damage to your own guys which can (every now and again) be a bad thing. Takes up a slot in your deck.

Bad Dok - Not a bad card for 2 cost even without the ability, which is great, the problem is actually getting the single damage on him, however between his ability and his 4 hp his overall synergy with Nazdreg is phenomenal. Getting Doc followed by a weird boy maniac is one of the only other first-round combos available to getting him turned on first turn (other than the aforementioned BiB)

Shoota Mob - 1 resource for 1 command and 2 attack isn't bad. 1 hp means a quick death, but play it into your initiative advantage and it's not bad. I've auto-included due to the insane need for Ork command assistance.

Goff Boyz - Pretty straight forward. I don't use tellyporta pad too often and, even though the combo is kind of nice, they are shut off any time they aren't at first planet. My favorite use for them is just throwing them down on planet 1 first or second move to establish military dominance. I'f I'm really trying to fake them out, I'll throw down two.

Goff Nob - Big, mean, and above all ELITE making him a worthy pick for your army and comparatively cheap vs other heavy hitters with his output. No command icons. Be very wary of the Exterminatus and the doom. I like to wait as long as possible to deploy him. If you can stall til after they pass and throw him on a planet they were intending to commit to it very much changes their mind.

Weridboy Maniak - I like this guy. Toss him on a planet by himself against a swarm army to know everyone down a peg then (if you're chaos allied) toss a warpstorm on it at the right moment and you've got yourself a pretty solid swarm-buster combo. He's also good for a final deploy move to turn on Brutal for everyone else you have there while knocking their units down a peg. Using him to kill off a rogue or a Trailblazer isn't the worst combo, but be wary of the shield. Best used as a swarm killer.

Rogues and Pirates - What? Etaywah, you're crazy and you smell funny and everyone hates you. All that may be true, but I've been testing Ork's for a while now and I've resorted to throwing at least 1 of each in the deck. Rogues and Pirates were created to offset any command issues and Orks are a primary candidate for this.

Rokkit Launcha - No Description needed. It rocks. 2 shields would have been nice but whatevs.

Cybork Body - Attach to Flash Gitz, Rugged Killa Kanz or Burna Boyz. Win.

Battle Cry - [Updated] - I haven't used this event with solid effect yet, even when I pull it off I find myself wishing I had spent my resources somewhere else. Don't do more than 2x.

Rokkitboy - In my opinion this is a 1x auto-include that you don't play until they play a flyer - or if you have no other options due to a strained card-draw. You don't want to see him too often, but he's not exactly bad either.

Kraktoof Hall - very useful support. since you are "moving" damage from one unit to another it bypasses all damage mitigation, so you can use this to kill of units to bypass shield, and also effects like Blood Angel's Veterans cannot cancel this effect and means nothing to this card, 1 damage is 1 damage.

Burna Boyz - Truth is: I like this card a lot. Like a whole lot. The problem is the health. 4 resources for 5 attack is baller, so my advice is: Use him if you like him, play him as late in deploy as you can, and try to get him into an engagement where you have the initiative OR if you have a shield-heavy deck. I use 2x right now, but he's going to likely be my first cut once new cards come out.

Enraged Ork - 2 resources for 1 command, Brutal and 5 HP for this guy is AMMMAAAZZZZING. the build I'm posting later in this article you will understand exactly why I went for Killa Kans over this guy. Still a great contender, just not in my top list right now until new cards come out for Orks.

Snotling Attack - This was a tough one because of the insane combo with Battle Cry. You can cover a lot of bases with 4 snotling tokens and confuse the opponent while setting him up for a no-win situation for his warlord committal. Here's the problem: do you have Battle Cry in hand? Can you afford it? Have you won enough command struggles to pay for this then also cast a Battle Cry? It's combo-y and also only 1 shield. Also, none of these synergize with Nazdreg. I cut it because I've got other things going on.

Squig Bombin' - I played 5 games with 1 in my deck and never used it once. It's great against a few supports like catachan, ambush platform and cato's stronghold, but the opportunity cost and the ability for it to be canceled made this a non-include for me.

Tellyporta Pad - [Updated]. I have tested Tellyporta Pad quite a bit and I've fallen in love with it. I use 3x right now for testing and I may keep it that way.

It allows you to win or contest command struggles then commit only as much military force as the situation calls for at the first planet to win it. Adding a rockit launcha as a final deploy action to a big unit not on planet 1 sends a very mixed message to the opponent and gives you a lot of options to pick from at the beginning of a fight.

Bigtoof Banna - You're going to be getting your resources in other ways, 1x.

Sniveling Grot - Not with this Nazdreg, maybe some swarmy Warlord later on. Pass.

After days of testing I finally got my deck figured out and I'm almost sad to give it away :(, but the need of the many outweigh the need of the few! So here it is:

Da Ork Kommand Dek! - 51 cards - (Patent Pending)

Warlord
1x Nazdreg

Armies
4x Nazdreg's Flash Gitz
3x Goff Nob
3x Weirdboy Maniak
2x Rugged Killa Kans
2x Crushface
3x Bad Dok
3x Goff Boyz
3x Shoota Mob
3x Burna Boyz
2x Tankbusta Bommaz
1x Rokkitboy
1x Rogue Trader
2x Void Pirate

Attachments
3x Promotion
1x Cybork Body
2x Rokkit Launcha

Events
1x No Mercy
2x Bigga is Betta
3x Battle Cry
3x Warpstorm

Supports
1x Kraktoof Hall
2x Ork Kannon
1x Bigtoof Banna

Woah! 2 pirates and 1 rogue???? WTFTFTF?? Try it and thank me later.

The level of versatility, pressure and stability of the deck speaks for itself in play. Your units are big enough and bad enough to warrant the lower level of offensive units, you can win command, all units either mesh perfectly with Nazdreg or go great solo against a warlord if need be and (best of all) with the pirates and rogues you can friggin afford them.

Please discuss any strategies and in this post.
  • MotoBuzzsawMF likes this

Christars

Christars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

2 pirates and 1 rogue???? WTFTFTF??

...  :P 

Honestly, though, your deck makes sense. That said, I'm realllly fond of the Kannon - but that's probably because I'm a Chaos fanboy.

Speaking of Chaos, since this isn't meant to be a neutral deck, how about some of the other Chaos cards? Fanatics is decent at capping stuff and can at least do one pip of Brutal; Umbral Preacher has both two hammers and lots of hp - and an ability that can be quite powerful, since drawn-out fights means plenty of opportunities for Brutal. Rune-Encrusted (and to a lesser extent, Dire Mutation) are... well, probably not worth it, but are maybe worth keeping in mind. One could even make arguments for the Soul Grinder... but it's probably too expensive with no Cultist support.

(Since now is "later", even though I didn't take the time to try it yet - Thank you, Etaywah!)

Etaywah

Etaywah

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Umbral was a good pick, but I wanted to make a mostly Ork-deck. Chaos is so strong I wanted to show off the ability to make a competitive Ork deck without relying on the currently very powerful Chaos.

Also I like to hide my alliance until it's too late.

And on the Pirates/rogues, tons of people on OCTGN were hating on my overuse of them, I think they are currently essential for Orks.

MotoBuzzsawMF

MotoBuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts

2 pirates and 1 rogue???? WTFTFTF??

...  :P 

Honestly, though, your deck makes sense. That said, I'm realllly fond of the Kannon - but that's probably because I'm a Chaos fanboy.

Speaking of Chaos, since this isn't meant to be a neutral deck, how about some of the other Chaos cards? Fanatics is decent at capping stuff and can at least do one pip of Brutal; Umbral Preacher has both two hammers and lots of hp - and an ability that can be quite powerful, since drawn-out fights means plenty of opportunities for Brutal. Rune-Encrusted (and to a lesser extent, Dire Mutation) are... well, probably not worth it, but are maybe worth keeping in mind. One could even make arguments for the Soul Grinder... but it's probably too expensive with no Cultist support.

(Since now is "later", even though I didn't take the time to try it yet - Thank you, Etaywah!)

If I were to ally with anyone with Orc, I would go with AM. I think the Sanctioned Psyker is better than the Cultist due to brutal synergy and and the run encrusted is good but I think the Hazard gear is better in Ork as well. Also, you can use Suppressive Fire out of Ork for a bit of control (cant remember if it is loyal or not, forum slap me if it is). Also, with all of the Tau love going on (boy do I love some Tau but I am a hipster so I try to refrain when everyone is playing them) the Warpstorm serves no purpose but to be shield fodder. 

Anywho, I really like the deck and I also think Orks are super fun. I cannot wait for them to start releasing some Stompa's. 

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

anywayz, found da ork dekk fredd fing!

Deck Created with  CardGameDB.com  Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Deckbuilder

Wot iz it?

Dis iz...

(ah can't keep that up)

This is my first attempt at an ork led deck.

Thoughts here is lots of cheap stuff, with decent amount of command, though less than a pansy eldar or tau deck of course. Attrition is the name of the game, with HP boosts aplenty.

Total Cards: (60)

Warlord:

1x Nazdreg (Core Set)

Because there's no Ghazghkull yet.

Army Unit: (37)

4x Nazdreg’s Flash Gitz (Core Set)
3x Bad Dok (Core Set)
1x Crushface (Core Set)
3x Goff Boyz (Core Set)

3x Shoota Mob (Core Set)

Nice obvious choices first.

3x Ratling Deadeye (Core Set)
3x Sanctioned Psyker (Core Set)

Some human help on the command phase.

3x Weirdboy Maniak (Core Set)
3x Elysian Assault Team (Core Set)

Tricksy tricks. Why not? Mork's help always welcome.

3x Enraged Ork (Core Set)
3x Rokkitboy (Core Set)
3x Void Pirate (Core Set)
2x Sniveling Grot (Core Set)

Alright, stretching here now and cursing the limited card pool. Keep it cheap is the mantra here. Or "save ya teef" I guess. Basically I wanted lots of units, hence 37/50, to make up for the fact that there's not much quality here.

Attachment: (7)
1x Cybork Body (Core Set)
3x Hostile Environment Gear (Core Set)
3x Promotion (Core Set)

Basically stuff thats makes my useless boyz less useless.

Hostile Environment Gear is great with Brutal

Promotion is great for winning command struggles when you are deploying last, and with all the units so cheap in the deck, you should be deploying last.

Event: (8)
2x Bigga is Betta (Core Set)
3x Suppressive Fire (Core Set)
3x Battle Cry (Core Set)

No brainer choice on Suppressive Fire, as weenie hordes need some means to stop the AoE guy before he wipes them.

Battle Cry can be useful in its own right, but is worthy of inclusion because of its 2 shield icons.

Support: (8)
1x Kraktoof Hall (Core Set)
3x Catachan Outpost (Core Set)
3x Ork Kannon (Core Set)
1x Bigtoof Banna (Core Set)

Because basically Ork Kannon and Catachan Outpost are what makes this deck worth playing. Bigtoof Bana is in as a x1 as we're running a high %ork.

So this deck is nothing imaginative, nothing clever. Its got no endgame plays, just lots and lots of little guys getting bigger as they take damage. Its got just enough command to not get walked over in the command phase, and a low enough cost to create even a few wins with terminal deploys. Its good enough in combat to hold its own. Basically an all round toolboxy deck.

Etaywah

Etaywah

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Updated Deck List I've been having a lot of fun with (and a fair amount of success with).

Major changes include:

0 Gof nobs, replacing these instead with a higher unit count

3 Catachan Outposts

as well as

3 Void Pirates,

3 Promotions,

3 Engraged Orks 

2 Shoota mobs to ensure either a winning command struggle or a difficult to win command struggle for the opponent.

Warlord
1x Nazdreg

Armies
4x Nazdreg's Flash Gitz
3x Weirdboy Maniak
3x Rugged Killa Kans
2x Crushface
2x Goff Boyz
2x Shoota Mob
3x Tankbusta Bommaz
1x Rokkitboy
3x Rogue Trader
3x Void Pirate
3x Enraged Ork
3x Burna Boyz

Attachments
3x Promotion
1x Cybork Body
2x Rokkit Launcha

Events
1x No Mercy
2x Bigga is Betta
3x Battle Cry

Supports
1x Kraktoof Hall
2x Ork Kannon
1x Bigtoof Banna
3x Catachan Outpost

Warhammer 40K Conquest LCG

The heavy-lifters in the deck are Tankbusta Bombas, Rugged Killa Kanz, Burna Boyz and Nazdreg's Flash Gitz, typically these are the main targets for any events that effect the game-state. The idea of this deck is to have enough units out to not only challenge them on command, but who are also beefy enough to withstand a couple hits, stand, and provoke a retreat.

Killa Kanz, Enraged Orks, Flash Gitz and Weirdboy Maniak are great at this, all being 4+ health. Rokkit Launcha for some end-of-deploy surprises, best attached to the Flash Gitz.

Its also a lot of fun to Catachan a rogue or pirate to smack the warlord snipe a bit.

Etaywah

Etaywah

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Heyo, thanks for joining in Asklepios!

Total Cards: (60)

Was that intentional? 50 is all you need unless you purposefully went to 60

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Heyo, thanks for joining in Asklepios!

Was that intentional? 50 is all you need unless you purposefully went to 60

ah, a long day at work and too much AGOT. :) That makes the deckbuild easier!

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2038 posts

So I made some comments about Orks in this thread earlier today when I discovered my love for Orks based on their appealing stats

So here is my first attempt

PORKIES

Total Cards: (50)

Warlord: 

Army Unit: (30)
3x Rogue Trader (Core Set)  
3x Chaos Fanatics (Core Set)  
3x Enraged Ork (Core Set)  
3x Bad Dok (Core Set)  
2x Crushface (Core Set)  
3x Rugged Killa Kans (Core Set)  
3x Goff Boyz (Core Set)  

Attachment: (7)
3x Promotion (Core Set)  
3x Rune-Encrusted Armor (Core Set)  

3x Battle Cry (Core Set)  
3x Warpstorm (Core Set)  

Support: (5)
3x Ork Kannon (Core Set)  

STRATEGY

CAPPING
15 capping units (Cultist, Bad Dok, Enraged Ork, Pirates, Traders) - accept enemy will snipe but others will collect
Enemy only snipes 1 planet per turn, prefer Pirate + Trader (at least one collects a bonus) as Shoota Mob no deterrent
Promotion on Enraged Ork ideally (which become very dangerous with multiple Kannons)
Many ways to wound Bad Dok (Bigga is Betta, Kannon, Weirdboy, Warpstorm)
Kannons snipe enemy 1HP cappers or draw shields (Nazdreg rarely snipes), always late (last action window of combat)

CONQUERING
15 first planet snowball units although depends on planets and initiative - be canny else commits are too predictable
Brutal (and Rune Armour) is perfect for first planet snowball because of entering committed, soaks and hits back
No Rokkit Launcha - ranged is for defending planet (only works once with snowball), always going to lose a range war
Opponent usually fortresses up next planet so Warpstorm it (last action window of combat) then next turn Weirdboy it

Rune Armour on Flash Gitz ideally but works with any Brutal such as Nazdreg's First Planet Snowball

If Crushface at HQ, often best to skip and commit to second planet to use him again

So what foolish mistakes have I made with this first attempt build?

Etaywah, you seem one of the most experienced at playing Orks so I'd be happy to hear your advice on this build...

Yes, I am a firm believer that having control events like Warpstorm is crucial - hence preferring Chaos to Guard.

I just can't wait to play a Battle Cry (rare I assume because of the cost, more a threat) and scream out WAAAAH!

Etaywah

Etaywah

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts
Lol, I figured it was just an oversight :).

Asklepios: I'd recommend 1 no mercy and 2x crushface. Every time I have a no mercy in hand I'm glad it's there, crush face for his great ability and also because he's unique and can be used for no mercy and is also immune to the board-clear stuff making a great 2nd or 3rd planet deploy not only for future deployment reductions (especially in conjunction with a Tellyporta Pad) but for his command icons.

The reason I'm so hot on no mercy (and am considering a 2nd) is because Orks have no surprises, They're very straightforward. They attempt to make up for this straightforwardness with Battle Cry, heavy attack, and heavy toughness, however with no mercy you can steal away the enemies ability to mitigate their ATK strength. I think no mercy is a great card and should be in every deck at least 1x.

Has anyone had any luck with the snotling attack? I still haven't tested it but it seems strong, especially with 3x battlecry and 3x catachan.

Tellyporta is another one I really want to start fooling around with.

Etaywah

Etaywah

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts
As for you sparrow, just in my recent Ork games at least which have been quite a few as of late, I tend to agree with the chaos alignment. Orks are in a weird alliance right now, their best options are good but not great, catachan is great, but it's expensive and isn't a board clear. Warp storm is obviously fantastic but you're going to have a hard time playing it if you're not just dominating command. After a few games with Ork you'll start to realize they really have a huge deficiency in command (as they should cause brutal is, well, brutal).

But either alliance is powerful as hell If used just right, I'm just toying with catachan right now.

As far as your deck goes I would just recommend not investing too much in the way of attachments, and would recommend investing more in your units. The problem (in any game) with attachments is they are out on a unit, if you can disable the unit, you disable the attachment, and with Orks having such a HUGE dependency on every unit in play (because they aren't winning command) I would steer away from allocating 6 resources for 3 attachments. I get the theory: you want to buff them for the sake of brutal, but it's a guarantee that if you have a buffed unit in play - he's going to be the target of whatever control abilities they have at their disposal.

So instead of specific notes on your deck I just recommend this playstyle for Orks: have more units on the field than your opponent at all times. Not in a hyper-swarmy way like the DE, but in the Ork way: having a bunch of really tough, super annoying jerks they can't quite manage to kill off, who on their next swing are going to mess up your opponent in a bad way because of brutal (so they should get them out of there).

Summary: I'd rather have an enraged Ork (2 cost and a command) on the field than a rune crusted armor. In other words: "Go ahead and rout one of my guys, I've got 3 more waiting to beat your butt, oh and please please use that AOE unit, I'd love that."

Orks are the "safety in numbers" faction right now, and when they finally kill off that enraged Ork, they're gonna be like "all that for a 2 cost unit?!?, JESUS."
  • MotoBuzzsawMF and sparrowhawk like this

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

I've still not played an Ork Warlord game, though they're still my ally of choice for chaos, mostly because of Ork Kannon.

Thanks for the feedback all: am going to make some tweaks (well, I'm going to start from scratch) and present another build.

garek365

garek365

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

If it helps here is the Ork list I am currently running, made some comments on choices that may be questionable:

Warlord: 

Army Unit: (28)
I love the surprise effect this card has especially with Catachan Outpost 
This should probably be a 2x and not 3x
This is included just to have a big guy, but should probably be something else, I just really like the idea of having him with the warlord and hitting for like 10
Really helps with the capping and works great with the warlord
Not in love with this card at all, use him to clean up plannets stacked with smaller units, maybe the Nob should be a 2nd one of these

Attachment: (6)
+3 Health is brutal with brutal
Helps to cap those planets you stick an enraged ork on and others

When it is good it is great but would not play more than 1

Support: (8)
2 of these because I do want to play it early, I realise the 2nd one is a dead draw but am ok with that.
Not playing 3 of these just because normally 1 in play is enought to get the job done at it is expensive at 2 ressources

HoopJones

HoopJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

I have yet to have any success with Orks so far. Eldar seem to absolutely squash me, and even with IG allies I cannot do well during the command struggle.

Hrm :(

Etaywah

Etaywah

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

I have yet to have any success with Orks so far. Eldar seem to absolutely squash me, and even with IG allies I cannot do well during the command struggle.

Hrm :(

Orks are in a bad place right now (notice the inactivity of this thread), and get beaten up by a lot of the other guys currently due to a lack of command and control. I personally think that if Battle Cry cost 1 less and increased health instead of ATK damage that orks would be viable right now, but they are just plagued with a few issues - the main one being that they have (almost) no weapons outside of combat.

The only real control options they have available to them are Suppressive Fire, Dire Mutation, Soul Grinder, Umbral Preacher, Warp Storm and the Kraktoof Hall. Most of these are either tame or unreliable. Suppressive fire goes well with Snotling attack, Umbral Preacher is really nice if you can work your way into a combat advantage, but simple control tricks like Archon Terror, Deception and Supremacy run all over Orks. Beyond that we have Tellyporta Pad which is hot for anti-routs like Archon's Terror, but a 2 cost support is a lot for an ability you may or may not get a lot of use out of. What is great about Tellyporta is you can move your warlord into the fray as well, so maybe that's it's intended use. It's important to note that Tellyporta cannot be used after the first planet has been captured.

Outside of that; Squig Bombin' is really nice, it just so happens that there is almost no place for it in an Ork deck because 1) 2 resources to an Ork (for now at least) is like 4 resources to every other faction and 2) There aren't any game-breaking supports out there worth hitting for that much cost except the Squad supports but the chances of pulling that off reliably is not high. S-Bomb would have been much more welcome if it had 2 shields instead of 1, but alas.

HoopJones

HoopJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Orks are in a bad place right now (notice the inactivity of this thread), and get beaten up by a lot of the other guys currently due to a lack of command and control. I personally think that if Battle Cry cost 1 less and increased health instead of ATK damage that orks would be viable right now, but they are just plagued with a few issues - the main one being that they have no weapons outside of combat.

The only real control options they have available to them are Suppressive Fire, Dire Mutation, Soul Grinder, Umbral Preacher, Warp Storm and the Kraktoof Hall. Most of these are either tame or unreliable. Suppressive fire goes well with Snotling attack, Umbral Preacher is really nice if you can work your way into a combat advantage, but simple control tricks like Archon Terror, Deception and Supremacy run all over Orks. Beyond that we have Tellyporta Pad which is hot for anti-routs like Archon's Terror, but a 2 cost support is a lot for an ability you may or may not get a lot of use out of. What is great about Tellyporta is you can move your warlord into the fray as well, so maybe that's it's intended use.

Outside of the the Squig Bombin' is really nice, it just so happens that there is almost no place for it in an Ork deck because 1) 2 resources to an Ork is like 4 resources to every other faction and 2) There aren't any game-breaking supports out there worth hitting for them much cost, except the Squad supports but the chances of pulling that off reliably is not high. S-Bomb would have been much more welcome if it had 2 shields instead of 1, but alas.

I'm sure someone will disagree with us, but thanks for confirming what I have suspected in my testing..

Etaywah

Etaywah

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

I still like them, just always build in 3 rogue and 3 pirates, enraged orks are a great "dont commit here" deterrent because they hit hard and almost never die to the first warlord attack (even with ranged at times), and shoot for high-health over high damage units for your army. Brutal is a great keyword. Armorbane is a better keyword but brutal is awesome, it makes them second-guess hitting your best units. I hope in the future the developers recognize that Ork need more health in their effects and not more damage, they probably already know it - and I can't friggin wait to see what warlord pack comes out for them.

Kingsley

Kingsley

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

I'm intrigued by Orks. They're probably the faction that I'm least comfortable with, so I'm going to start testing them soon. What do you guys think about the different ally choices? Right now, Astra Militarum seems like the way to go for me-- Ratling Deadeye and Sanctioned Psyker probably work better than Splintered Path Acolyte and Chaos Fanatics here, Catachan Outpost is very nice, and you can potentially field Assault Valkyrie for added combat punch or Suppressive Fire for a bit of control/trickiness.

Kingsley

Kingsley

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Ok, I've been testing the Orks a bit and I've been very pleasantly surprised-- I'm undefeated so far, though I did have one extremely close nailbiter of a game against Dark Eldar. Here's the decklist I'm currently running:

Deck Created with  CardGameDB.com  Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Deckbuilder

Warlord:
1x Nazdreg (Core Set)

Army Unit: (30)
2x Bad Dok (Core Set)
2x Burna Boyz (Core Set)
1x Crushface (Core Set)
3x Elysian Assault Team (Core Set)
3x Goff Boyz (Core Set)
3x Rogue Trader (Core Set)
3x Sanctioned Psyker (Core Set)
3x Shoota Mob (Core Set)

Attachment: (6)
3x Promotion (Core Set)
2x Rokkit Launcha (Core Set)

Event: (7)
3x Battle Cry (Core Set)
2x Squig Bombin (Core Set)

Support: (7)
2x Catachan Outpost (Core Set)
3x Ork Kannon (Core Set)

With this combination I've actually done quite well on command-- this deck's ability to snipe enemy capping units with ping damage is almost unparalleled, with 3 Ork Kannons and Weirdboy Maniak. Speaking of Weirdboy Maniak, he's an all-star. His effect can be used like that of Sicarius's Chosen to pick off a capping unit and take the planet, but he can also provide a big swing in key battles, especially if the opponent has massed a big force. This is what saved me against the Dark Eldar, as I was able to deploy a Weirdboy after my opponent used Khymera Den to group up his tokens on a key planet.

I've considered switching to Chaos for Warp Storm, but I really like Sanctioned Psyker (good synergy with Nazdreg, Ork Kannon, Catachan Outpost), and with all these Warriors (Flash Gitz, Shoota Mob, Goff Boyz, Burna Boyz, Crushface), Elysian Assault Team can be a great surprise.

HoopJones

HoopJones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Innnnteresting.

It's becoming quite depressing that I see more and more deck lists that don't use "big" units in the game because of cost and ease to squash a single target such as Ravager, Helldrake, Dreadnought...etc..

I really wanted some 'UGE ork units on the table but that tactic hasn't worked out for me. Generally I will dump a bit into a single unit only to have it die to ranged + ion before I can do anything.

What we really need are big units that can't be targeted by ranged, or are immune to enemy effects (such as Eldorath or Archon's Terror) if it sounds powerful, well..thats what I'd expect when I pay 6+ for a unit darnit!