Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Deck Builder Now Live

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3592 posts

Hey everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that the new deckbuilder is ready to use. I'm going to go over it a bit to show how things work.

First up a few small details. Although I endeavor to support older browsers wherever possible I also can't guarantee that those older browsers will work flawlessly. I always suggest using the latest version of your preferred browser. I like Chrome but anything recent will do. I've put a limit of 50 saved decks for the time being. Hopefully this will be enough and the number could be adjusted in the future but I think it is a reasonable amount that will encourage people to delete old decks they don't actually want.

So on to the good stuff...

When you first open the deck builder you will need to choose a warlord and ally faction. This choice will determine the cards you can put in your deck.

40kwarlordchoice.JPG

Once you have made that selection you will see on of the below screens.

All searching is done in your browser. What does that mean you ask? Well it means that getting results back for your search is virtually instant. When you first go into the new deckbuilder page it will download the full Warhammer 40,000: Conquest database and cache this file. The file is about 16K zipped up but if your browser doesn't support zipped files it could mean a slightly longer initial download. For those of you with larger monitors the widescreen layout will let you see your searches happen instantly as you change the search criteria:

40kwidescreen.JPG

The widescreen layout will allow you to see more of your deck at a time and see your search in real time. 

For those of you on smaller monitors things will collapse to give better views.

Medium view:

40kmediumscreen.JPG

Compact view:

40ksmallscreen.JPG

You can see in the search area that you can only see factions that your warlord could ally with. The cards for the faction your warlord did not choose to ally with will not be shown by default but can be turned on. These cards can't be added to the deck though.

Next up there are 2 views for card search results and 3 for the deck view, if you want to see more on your screen switch from the full to compact view to remove the card icon images. You cannot change the quantity of any cards in a Warlord's Signature squad, but you can change the warlord after you have picked them. Any cards in you deck that are not valid for your new Warlord/Ally choice will be removed.

40kviews.JPG

You can also change the sorting of your deck on the fly, instead of the default type you can view it by cost also

40kbycost.JPG

There are graphs, a same sample hand, along with totals and averages that could be useful

40kstatview.JPG

Saving and submitting decks each have its own section. When you click on Save it will allow you to fill out the deck information, pick some pre defined tags and it gives you one of two options. Saving as a new deck will add it to your saved decks as a new entry, but if you have loaded an already saved deck the update existing deck button will be usable and will automatically update the deck. The Save Local button is new for the deck builders and is something I am experimenting with. My goal was to make the deckbuilder usable even without an internet connection. So the save local will save to your browser cache and will always overwrite any existing deck with the same name.

40kdecksave.JPG

The load and delete saved section will show you your saved decks and let you get rid of them, load them or generate a private link you can share with a friend so they can see your deck without you having to submit it to the site. Clicking on the decks name will load it into the deckbuilder. Clicking on the warlord image will popup a big version of the card.

40kloaddeck.JPG

The submit section lets you review any of your saved decks and send them to our submitted decks section. Deck approval is no longer necessary so whatever you submit will be immediately visible. 

40ksubmitdeck.JPG

You can also export your deck in a variety of formats. I'm also experimenting with a new kind of popup bbcode, for example

4x [w40kc]Starbane’s Council (Core Set)[/w40kc] 
1x [w40kc]Biel-Tan Guardians (Core Set)[/w40kc] 
will produce

4x Starbane’s Council (Core Set)  
1x Biel-Tan Guardians (Core Set)  

The deckbuilder can generate this and you can also type in the card name by hand. Clicking on the + will popup an image of the card, clicking on the card's name will open that card's record in the cards section of the website..

The new submitted decks section has filters so you can filter by a users chosen tags. Decks are also able to be filtered by the main faction and they can be sorted by a number of fields also. Note that the deck version is automatically tracked so as long as you are submitting the same saved deck, every time you submit a new version of it the system will increase that counter and show it. 

40ksubmitteddecks.JPG

The submitted deck shows a sortable list of the cards in the deck, with export options and two different views

40ksubmitteddeck.JPG

Edit!

Links for all you fine folks

Deckbuilder: http://www.cardgamed...st-deck-builder

Submitted Decks Section: http://www.cardgamed...conquest-decks/

Please leave any bug reports in this thread.

• Toqtamish, kizerman86, BuzzsawMF and 4 others like this

Hurdoc

Hurdoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Wow! Thanks, great job!

Dre2Dee2

Dre2Dee2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Praise the Omnissiah!  :lol:

• Toqtamish and BuzzsawMF like this

Kingsley

Kingsley

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Thanks for your hard work on this, Darksbane!

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1578 posts
Thank you very much in advance, Darksbane. I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling lost since the spoiler lost basic filter functionality.

I am so looking forward to playing with this when it comes online! Whatever time zone you're in, we only have roughly 24hrs to wait. You know how to whet appetites with these previews, you tease! (At least it's not "here are some cards we've already designed and tested but are still with-holding for 6 months"...)

Having got used to your new deck builders, the newer features that impressed me the most were...
* the save local function (as I've lost decks on train disconnects)
* the private view link function (for those of us with friends, sob)
* the save update automatically incrementing version number (version control)
* the sort by cost facility (it would be great if it could be nested within category)
* the switch warlords functionality (nice future-proofing to start a deck templating on another warlord in faction)
* the optional turn-on for the rejected alliance (a big shame you can't switch alliance as an alliance option comparison would be golden)
* your grasp of Latin...

The main thing I would request is a sub folder in this section for Decks Submitted (and maybe a Rules Discussion folder) copying the hugely popular Thrones forum format?

Finally, I just have to comment on Ork allied with AM. [Shudder...] At least it's obvious test deck nonsense! :)

steinerp

steinerp

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts

This looks great.  Thanks!

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3592 posts

Thank you very much in advance, Darksbane. I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling lost since the spoiler lost basic filter functionality.

It did...  :( whoops, that was not intentional. I put in a quick temp fix to show the advanced search options again. I'll get it fixed back up properly tonight after work, thanks for letting me know.

* the save local function (as I've lost decks on train disconnects)

Hopefully this should help with that. One of my goals with this is if you are on a tablet the deckbuilder should be usable even without an internet connection. Ideally this means you should be able to save with the save local and when viewing a card it will show you the text of the card instead of the image (although I just tested the image to text thing and it is currently not working for some reason even though none of that code has changed from starwars where it is working so that won't be 100% when it goes live).

* the sort by cost facility (it would be great if it could be nested within category)

As this is the first time I've done this in any of the deckbuilders I'm open to suggestions on how to make it more useful. Sub sorts like that would make it alittle more difficult though as I'd have to resort your deck after every card gets added/removed. Not sure if that would be a performance ding or not.

* the optional turn-on for the rejected alliance (a big shame you can't switch alliance as an alliance option comparison would be golden)

You can switch alliances, just have to switch your warlord and choose the same warlord just with the different alliance. All the former alliances cards will be removed.

The main thing I would request is a sub folder in this section for Decks Submitted (and maybe a Rules Discussion folder) copying the hugely popular Thrones forum format?

Rules forum is up and running (link just above the recent 40k content block). Decks won't be cross posted to the forum because it just caused confusion and the dedicated decks section has much more useful features to be able to see the content you want to see. I'm hoping that the recent content stuff on the forum index here will get decks a good amount of visibility. I can put a dedicated link to the decks section though up top near the rules forum so it is super easy to get to. It actually should work very much like a forum, just one with options to filter by faction, alot of sorting options and the ability to have tons of bells and whistles when viewing the deck (like reordering on the fly, graphs, different views, etc.)

Finally, I just have to comment on Ork allied with AM. [Shudder...] At least it's obvious test deck nonsense! :)

That deck will sweep worlds  ;)

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3273 posts

The Latin I had google translate and then laughed quite a bit. 

KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1890 posts

This

looks

amazing.

My productivity at work will be down later today.

Etaywah

Etaywah

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

This is amazing. Thanks so much Darksbane. Is it live? I'm not seeing it in the pulldown, maybe its just my browser.

CommissarFeesh

CommissarFeesh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

This is amazing. Thanks so much Darksbane. Is it live? I'm not seeing it in the pulldown, maybe its just my browser.

The topic title says tomorrow ;)

Etaywah

Etaywah

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Annnnnnnnnd I'm retarded.

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3592 posts

boom!

Deckbuilder: http://www.cardgamed...st-deck-builder

Submitted Decks Section: http://www.cardgamed...conquest-decks/

Please leave any bug reports in this thread.

Current known issues

• If you are not logged in you cannot save a deck locally. You should be able to save and load a deck locally even if you are not logged in. Will fix this sometime in the next couple of days.
  • When offline text version of card isn't showing correctly Fixed

• DOAisBetter, CommissarFeesh, KennedyHawk and 1 other like this

DOAisBetter

DOAisBetter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

I thought about starting a countdown but decided to not be obnoxious. Kinda wish I did though since you did do it exactly a day later +/- a min. Good job and thanks for all the work.

Dre2Dee2

Dre2Dee2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

WOOT, deck submitted! Gaze upon my works ye might, and despair!

Oh and the pie charts are pretty :lol:

BuzzsawMF

BuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1439 posts

I love the deckbuilder. Thank you so much for the hard work.

This might be to late but is it possible to add card cost to the sample hand?

sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1578 posts

I love the deckbuilder. Thank you so much for the hard work.

Yeah, Darksbane, don't you know some of us can't count to 7!

We can count to 5 for Thrones set-ups and Netrunner. But after that...

(On a serious note: it's a good idea to add to sample hands in all those deckbuilders - that Buzzsaw's on a roll)

• BuzzsawMF likes this

BuzzsawMF

BuzzsawMF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1439 posts

Yeah, Darksbane, don't you know some of us can't count to 7!

We can count to 5 for Thrones set-ups and Netrunner. But after that...

(On a serious note: it's a good idea to add to sample hands in all those deckbuilders - that Buzzsaw's on a roll)

Hey man, I don't have the cost of each card memorized and in the hard and fast world of deckbuilding, every second counts. :P

• sparrowhawk likes this

Darksbane

Darksbane

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3592 posts

Done, and I also listed the total cost for the sample hand at the bottom.

• BuzzsawMF likes this

Kingsley

Kingsley

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Could we have some more deck types added? "Balanced" for instance might be cool. (to contrast with Control/Aggro), or "Serious" (in between Casual/Tournament Quality).