Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New FAQ is up.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

agency is crazy weak right now though they need some powerful cards.

I disagree. The Basilica from TiV alone was a major boost for Agency, resulting in an (almost?) broken Trial Judge. Still, Agency could use another way to mitigate their lack of Arcane icons. And what they need most is more diversity, imho. It's the most one-sided faction, focusing on combat (& wounding) and almost nothing else. Personally, I rarely played them not because I considered them being too weak but too boring.

GrahamM

GrahamM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

I'm gonna disagree with you Jhaelen--Agency can do one thing pretty well, rush and kill stuff, but they can't do it well enough to actually be competitive at the top level. They have too many weaknesses. Even what they're good at, they aren't good enough at it. You can see that reflected in recent tournament results as well. You can see every faction but Agency, including ST and Hastur, in the top 4 of Gencon and the larger regionals. They have a few good cards, but not enough to string together half of a top tier deck.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

yea agency as a whole i think is very weak, but your right the Judge is very good and probably the only card worth building around in agency (or a deck that just uses there supports and make a super claret knight I thought about it as one of my 30 decks when thinking of options for worlds probably isn't that good actually to risky but be a fun deck for sure) 

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Agency was good enough to make a pretty mean ST/Agency deck that I played to win and finish 2nd at multiple Regionals and Store Championships. I had a couple of close games against top notch decks (Yithian Discard and such) at GenCon but ultimately it couldn't quite get it done against the best decks. My conclusion is that Agency is not very weak nor are they 'all that' but are somewhere in between as I believe Jhaelen expressed. The legality of The Sleeper Below is gonna only make things worse for The Boys In Blue! I also agree that Agency needs some added diversity and a fix or two for their lack of arcane. I trust they'll be considerably less boring when their box finally becomes available!

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

was it a st/agency day deck? I thought of putting one together it seems alright on paper. 

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts

Basilica certainly helps but they could still use some more good cards.  The Agency box has already been announced so I would expect that come springtime they'll be in much better shape.

If you've already got Day going on, my view is that you might as well put in some cards that benefit from it.  It's practically free.

konx

konx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

was it a st/agency day deck? I thought of putting one together it seems alright on paper. 

This might help (and sorry for the self-publicity but I made this post like 10 days ago :P)

http://www.cardgamed...ncystl-dayrush/

Konx

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1047 posts
I came 2nd with agency at the UK regional.

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

The list I was running was very similar at one time to the one offered by konx. Other cards that were in and out of the deck; Protector of Secrets, Jeffrey Farrington, Behind Bars, Dreamlands Fanatic, The Mage's Machinations and Hermetic Seal.

HomerJ

HomerJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Does it seem weird that the Dormant keyword isn't listed in the FAQ, and there aren't more clarifying details about it? Like when it triggers, or if it can be prevented by standard 'enter play by effect' cards? Maybe I'm over thinking it . . .
  • jasonconlon likes this

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

its in there a little bit pretty sure i read. Its pretty simple you attach it to a story but it isn't an attachment so you can't discard it. pretty much immune to player effects then comes into play once the story is one. 

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

I think most folks here are aware that it's nigh to impossible to get players to reveal much if anything about what decks they are considering playing at Worlds. Maybe it's paranoia but this smells suspiciously like a fishing expedition!?   ;)  I got my eye on you mnBroncos!

agency is crazy weak right now though they need some powerful cards. miskatonic box is very good nothing broken but lot of solid cards. 

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

hahahaha i don't even know what i am running so good luck (: 

Danigral

Danigral

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 1358 posts

Having recently been pulled back into being a Cultist from the beyond, and subsequently committing myself to hosting the first ever Finnish Store Championships next year (here in the middle of nowhere!) I've been thinking a lot about CoC, it's competitive state, it's health as a game and whatnot. As ever, the first thing I figured would be useful to know were... numbers.

Here's what I managed to glean for GenCon/Worlds participation:

2009 - GenCon: 12 players (source)

2010 - GenCon: 16 players (source)

2011 - GenCon: 16 players (source)

2012 - GenCon: ~20 players (source) & Worlds: 13 players (source)

2013 - GenCon: 22 players (source) & Worlds: 12 players (source)

2014 - GenCon: 24 players (source) & Worlds: Not held yet

European Championship:

2011 - 26 players (source)

2012 - 22 players (source)

2013 - 32 players (source)

2014 - Not held yet

Ok, so that's not at all bad, apart from Worlds 2013 and European Championship in 2012, there's a slow but clear growth going on, ever since the LCG began. Australia looks to have had 9 players in 2013 for Nationals (source), and 16 for 2014 (source). According to the Facebook page France had 14 for Nationals in 2014 (source), UK had a Regionals, which pretty much corresponded to a Nationals and that got 16 players (source). And... I figured I'd save a bit of my sanity and cut my delving there.

Overall, based on those numbers i find all the doomsaying with regard to the game quite unfounded.

Then there's the comparison to Warhammer: Invasion, which I guess is where all of the rumours of the game "ending" have sprung from. And the facts there are that: 1) both CoC and WH:I were moved to the "only Deluxe Expansions" model at the same time, 2) WH:I got discontinued in 2013. But it also pays to mention that simultaneously AGoT stopped receiving any more Deluxe expansions (which did not get an announcement, but still happened all the same). So, it was actually a concerted effort in slowing down card input for the longer running games, as the cardpool was reaching it's optimal size. Now, I think it pays to have a look at *what* was printed in those Deluxe Expansions for WH:I and CoC. For CoC, the Deluxes started pushing individual faction boxes, which are really a kind of "new starter" type of element, if you look at them. Decklists for new players, offering easy entrypoints etc.

For Warhammer they pushed... Cataclysm, which is pretty much a "get added multiplayer value from your existing cards" (without coming up with a new Multiplayer format for Competitive) and then Hidden Kingdoms (which fleshed out some of the existing mini-factions that were kinda too thin). Both of those are clear "end game" content, if you look at it. 

Meanwhile, it's also good to look at what FFG came out with close to the time they discontinued WH:I. There we have two things happening: Diskwars (which uses the exact same IP, in a more "fresh" way but with a similar expanding/competitive aspect) and Warhammer: Conquest (which also overlaps quite hard due to the 40k/WHFB IPs sharing a playerbase). Further, it pays to remember that FFG most likely needs to pay quite a bit for licencing the Warhammer, so they need to try and maximize it's potential, which I think Conquest is trying to hit on quite hard, and possibly even succeeding.

Now, from what I followed with WH:I, the number of players on the Competitive side was in a downward spiral for a while near the end, and the game didn't seem to have gained enough of a Casual following either. CoC on the other hand, largely due to the nature of the Mythos to begin with, has one of the clearest Casual followings (fed into by the boardgame players coming through Arkham/Eldritch/etc.), does not incur licensing costs and actually any art produced for it can be re-used in their board game line, making it a much better investment from a company standpoint. I'm not saying I know any of FFGs plans for the game, but... neither does anyone. Hell, it's quite likely even FFG might not at all be sure of what they'll be doing... and when!

I guess it all boils back down to LCGs being a whole new thing, and understanding the "health" of one is pretty hard. Very different from CCGs for example, where there's usually a much clearer correlation between Casual and Competitive players. And in the end, the Casual side is what brings all the profit for FFG, Competitive is more of a way of offering vested fans additional support, as well as raising the profile of the games. When I look back, AGoT was pretty much in a similar state as CoC is now on the competitive side, back in 2009-2010 when I started playing it. A lot of things happened, to kick it into the growth it ended up getting, but player enthusiasm in growing metas and increase in online play were what was done on the community side. But most of all it was the game being good, and HBO happening.

There's probably not going to be a similar stroke of luck with CoC as with HBO, but from what I've been following since the beginning of the LCG, the game is now (post Yithian bombardment) in one of the best states it's ever been in.. and offers much better entrypoints than AGoT, for example, where FFG is needing to look at solutions for lowering the entry barrier for new players (building a 60+7 card deck where most cards need to be 1x, each from a different pack... can reach pretty silly costs, especially with the House-specific Deluxe expansions not having a solid enough power-level or otherwise functioning as a secondary entry point). So, if the game is good, all we need are people enthusiastic for growing it (and luckily there seem to be quite many of them), and maybe dragging more people into playing online, so that people have an outlet where to play while working on building a local meta.

That's one of the things about LCGs, nobody will build the metas and groups for us, we need to go out there and gather them ourselves. Why's that different from CCGs? Well, the profits to be gained from LCGs are smaller, hence there's less money to go around for marketing, offering cash prizes etc. In a way, it's the "fairness" of the whole model biting back at us. In CCGs it's easier to just "be a player" - you get a good deck, go to a Tourney and maybe even get prizes. The shops run the events, since the company's can afford to push them, you don't need to worry your pretty little head about that one bit. In LCGs, people need to be more like Ambassadors to the game. Go out there, show people how much fun it can be... and you can (hopefully) end up with a playgroup. It might not be all competitive at first, most likely more of a combination of Casual and Competitive people, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Just a different one. You'll probably need to pressure your local shop to get a Tourney hosted, or host on yourself. It can be a bit time consuming, but... it can also be hella fun.

It's interesting how wide an effect Ambassadors to a game can have. I got drawn back in by: Danigral's articles, Tom's Tourney videos and mnBroncos enthusiasm... well, and Terror in Venice art looking so appealing. Meanwhile, while growing the game locally recently, I ran into local Netrunner players, who had been really interested in CoC, but had read online forums with people saying that "it's dying" and "completely broken game due to Yithians" etc. That had been enough to dissuade them from even trying it out casually. That's a whole other way of being an Ambassador, if you think about it. End's up, the Netrunner guys loved the game when they actually tried it, and somebody wasn't whispering portents of doom into their ears. More Cultists for my Cult...

NOTE: I did a lot of digging up of information here online, without talking to people who might know better, please let me know if I misrepresented something so I can get my story straight!

I don't think this post should be lost to previous pages. I especially like the part about this Danigral fellow.

And by the way, dormouse liked this post, so there's something in here.

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

I'm sorry to say that I won't be contributing to the increasing numbers of participants at Cthulhu Worlds this year. My partner and I had quite a streak going so this will be the first Cthulhu LCG Worlds I will miss. It's a shame, we've always enjoyed the games and company and even have had a modicum of success with 2nd and 3rd place wins. He'll be making that twelve hour drive all by his lonesome this year so I wish him a safe journey. I got surprised by the preregistration deadline of more than a week before the event and I can't get there early enough Wednesday to have a hope of purchasing a pass before FFG reaches it's fire safety occupation limits.

Ohh well, maybe next year :unsure:  

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

:(