Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

LCG (R) State of the Union

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

Farquhar

Farquhar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
deleted as I misread the previous post lol

konx

konx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Tbh I don't see how the game can keep expanding forever, I think it can handle a good number of extra boxes yet.

This is the second comment I see in this thread about the "cannot expand forever" issue. I am curious, why do you think this should be the case? According to dboeren we have around 1500 after all the boxes are out which is really not a lot, especially when you look at how many cards are effectively played.

I think it is plenty of design space which is still not explored, so I really don't understand where all the worries are coming from.

cheers

Konx

• Cumber likes this

Saint7x

Saint7x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

I hereby challenge you to a CoC duel. The Donut War. Name your terms.

Loser goes to a Justin Bieber concert.

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
I'm not worried about forever. Just maybe the next 5-8 years.

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Really!? After promises to represent the community no one asked the one burning question, any questions? ; )

I take it no one asked about new story cards? 

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Do you have the inside scoop as a playtester?  ;)

I agree that there does seem to be plenty of design space available but I believe the real question is, with designers being spread thin between larger/more profitable projects- will they have the time to devote to properly exploring that space? Just look at the Yithian debacle as an example of what happens when a designer takes his eye off the ball. I hope we don't see another one of those! Few here are making 'cannot expand forever' comments and the great majority actually have a preference for 'no rotation' Mostly "all the worries" are limited to potential new players being intimidated by the huge card pool and it's cost causing our community to slowly whither but like someone said, the deluxe box model helps mitigate that a bit (Just look at this year's runner up). Also, it's not only about the limited body of cards played but more importantly it's about all those cards on the periphery forgotten by most players, designers and playtesters just waiting for the right seemingly innocent new effect to interact with, causing abusive combos that make the game unfun. If the potential of the card pool gets beyond the resources of the designers/playtesters they can become intimidated and start designing safe cards that will help to stagnate creative deckbuilding.

Dear God I'm blathering on!  :blink:

This is the second comment I see in this thread about the "cannot expand forever" issue. I am curious, why do you think this should be the case? According to dboeren we have around 1500 after all the boxes are out which is really not a lot, especially when you look at how many cards are effectively played.

I think it is plenty of design space which is still not explored, so I really don't understand where all the worries are coming from.

cheers

Konx

Yuggoth

Yuggoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Well I am very glad there is no rotation.

As a new player I was encouraged by the big card pool, I can buy some new cards here and there instead of having to wait for long periods of time before new material is released.

It also increases deck building variety and complexity which I like.

Not realy worried about size of the card pool, compared to magic which has over a thousand cards in the standard format which is the smallest with most rotation, and the size of the ever growing eternal formats, I do not realy think there even is a "problem" here besides availability.

A suggestion from a new player to other new players, you do not have to get tons of stuff at once, start out with focusing on one deck or two and then branch out from there.

I am very excited about the box being dedicated to our great mother, Seeing the box called "the thousand young" and having that beutifull artwork made me even more excited. If there is lots of dark young, an awesome interpretation of Shub Niggurath or the use of the phrase "conqueror womb"  I will be very happy.

From the wells of night to the gulfs of space, ever praise and abundance to the Black Goat of the Woods. Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Goat with a Thousand Young!

• Carthoris and Unnamable like this

konx

konx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Do you have the inside scoop as a playtester?  ;)

I agree that there does seem to be plenty of design space available but I believe the real question is, with designers being spread thin between larger/more profitable projects- will they have the time to devote to properly exploring that space? Just look at the Yithian debacle as an example of what happens when a designer takes his eye off the ball. I hope we don't see another one of those! Few here are making 'cannot expand forever' comments and the great majority actually have a preference for 'no rotation' Mostly "all the worries" are limited to potential new players being intimidated by the huge card pool and it's cost causing our community to slowly whither but like someone said, the deluxe box model helps mitigate that a bit (Just look at this year's runner up). Also, it's not only about the limited body of cards played but more importantly it's about all those cards on the periphery forgotten by most players, designers and playtesters just waiting for the right seemingly innocent new effect to interact with, causing abusive combos that make the game unfun. If the potential of the card pool gets beyond the resources of the designers/playtesters they can become intimidated and start designing safe cards that will help to stagnate creative deckbuilding.

Dear God I'm blathering on!  :blink:

No playtester insight, sorry :) Just curious to know why some people have some opinions.

Maybe I am biased because I also play Magic, but all the worries about number of cards as an entry barrier, design space, super-powered strategies...I simply don't understand them. On the other hand, I agree on a thing: if they don't put enough resources on the game, then the game is going to be a disaster. But I have the suspicion that is for different reasons :)

Konx

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Shucks!  :(

Yeah, Magic has practically unlimited resources where FFG's are spread very thin to make it worse Cthulhu is at the bottom of the food chain! At least it's still profitable. Let's hope that FFG manages their limited resources wisely.

No playtester insight, sorry :) Just curious to know why some people have some opinions.

Maybe I am biased because I also play Magic, but all the worries about number of cards as an entry barrier, design space, super-powered strategies...I simply don't understand them. On the other hand, I agree on a thing: if they don't put enough resources on the game, then the game is going to be a disaster. But I have the suspicion that is for different reasons :)

Konx

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts

cheers

Konx

For now, and for a decent amount of time, yes. I just think any game has to crumble under its own weight if left unchecked forever. That said, I do think the deluxe model allows Cthulu to last a lot longer before this happens and has helped it a lot.

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
One of the driving reasons for an agot reboot was the card pool size and complicated faq and clunky rules.

I did propose the question of, "since cthulhu is not getting a rotation, what happens when it reaches the same threshold as thrones?"

Their response, basically, at the rate of release for cthulhu, they're not worried about that right now cause it'll be ahwile before cthulhu gets there.

mic

mic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

then It will be reboot time?

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip