Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Card: Bodyguard - vs Zarathur

Bodyguard Zarathur

Best Answer PBrennan , 03 November 2014 - 11:20 PM

The reassignment is a replacement effect, meaning it replaces the original assignment with a new assignment within the same dealing damage process. So no, a new "dealing damage" process doesn't start to cover this one reassigned damage.

I've confirmed with the design team that the reassignment is considered a different assignment, meaning Zarathur can increase the damage on the original assignment and can also increase damage on the reassignment.

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Kumquat

Kumquat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

The question about Bodyguard and Blood Angel Veteran got me thinking about how Zarathur's ability would interact with Bodyguard.  I believe his ability would trigger off of Bodyguard, but I've only played a few games and it would be great if someone with more experience could confirm.

With Bodyguard 1 dmg is reassigned to the attached unit. 

RRG states that reassigned dmg is dealt to the new recipient.

Per RRG the damage dealing process is: assign, shield, take.

From my understanding of the rules this would create another trigger for Zarathur to use his ability.  Am I understanding things correctly?

PBrennan

PBrennan

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts
✓  Best Answer

The reassignment is a replacement effect, meaning it replaces the original assignment with a new assignment within the same dealing damage process. So no, a new "dealing damage" process doesn't start to cover this one reassigned damage.

I've confirmed with the design team that the reassignment is considered a different assignment, meaning Zarathur can increase the damage on the original assignment and can also increase damage on the reassignment.

JeremyLarner

JeremyLarner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Just to clarify, this means that if 2 damage is dealt by a unit where Zarathur is, then 1 damage is assigned to the original unit, and 1 is assigned to the body guard (replacement effect), and then Zarathur's ability triggers, dealing 2 damage to both?

If 1 damage is dealt, then it is reassigned to the Bodyguard, and then increased by Zarathur, meaning 2 damage to the bodyguard, and none to the original unit?

PBrennan

PBrennan

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Because Bodyguard is a Forced Reaction and happens post-assignment, the original assignment must happen in its entirety.

If 2 damage is to be assigned, it's increased to 3 by Zarathur. Then Bodyguard reassigns 1 of that damage to the bodyguarded unit, which Zarathur increases to 2. Meaning 2 damage ends up assigned to each unit.

If 1 damage is to be assigned, it's increased to 2 by Zarathur. Then Bodyguard reassigns 1 of that damage to the bodyguarded unit, which Zarathur increases to 2. Meaning 1 damage ends up on the original unit, and 2 on the bodyguarded unit.

The following thread provides a more in-depth detailing of the nature of how a replacement effect works when it's employed by a Forced Reaction, as in this case, as opposed to when it's used more typically in an interrupt:

http://www.cardgamed...ngels-veterans/

In the Bodyguard's case, its replacement nature refers to the fact that its not starting a new dealing damage process with the reassignment, it's just replacing the assignee, and then continuing the already-started dealing damage process.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bodyguard, Zarathur