Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

worlds!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

dboeren

dboeren

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
Hopefully we won't have to wait too long to see some deck lists, I'm interested to see that tri-faction deck particularly. And on behalf of all of us who couldn't make it, you all suck ;)
  • Unnamable and Cumber like this

Obtuse

Obtuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
Let's give David some credit, his deck was pretty solid and had a nifty mechanic to recur his ice shafts and other cards. Now lets take away all that credit because he had rainbow unicorn card sleeves. There are no rainbows in Cthulhu! (no offense directed at our LGBTQ folks)

I only saw a little of Jeremy's deck but I assumed it was a Meiger deck that was built legit tri-faction to make cards like Rite of the Silver Gate and Stone Calendar playable from hand without too much difficulty?

Also I really liked Tom's deck and I think it would have had a great matchup vs. Jeremy. Lots of plague stone and being able to keep Savio and Claret Knight on the board while potentially dropping chud characters on the board from free with Yithian Scout. Also Savio is just a beast with a conspiracy on the board!

Gratz to all who placed well and double gratz to anyone who traveled a distance to participate. I will try my damnedest to join you all next year.

DrThodt

DrThodt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

DECKLISTS!!!

Unnamable

Unnamable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Hoping we can get some spoilers of the new draft packs!? Throw us a bone if you will please?  :D Ohh wait.... maybe that would ruin the whole idea of the draft format?

skureppe

skureppe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Congrats! and decklists! :P

MagnusArcanis

MagnusArcanis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
David's deck was a smart pick for him. Being a new player in an open meta... something aggressive like that can eliminate a lot of problems. If players aren't ready for it and/or don't find their answers and/or he can counter/mitigate/avoid his opponent's response... gg.

Overall, the meta seemed pretty diverse and nothing op appeared. Sure, yog and misk ended up with the most cards in the top 4, but I see that as more of indication of matchups and pilots more so than an evolution of power betwen the factions

Yuggoth

Yuggoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Missed out on the live coverage, I hope the material will be available somewhere later.

Also surprised Tom did not win, maybe some sweet revenge next year, and congratulations to the winner (and other performers too).

Obtuse

Obtuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
I don't have the link but there should be a past broadcasts page somewhere. Maybe poke around the ffg twitch feed to find it?

They actually showed solid few hours of Cthulhu, much to the chagrin of the AGoT fans.

Yuggoth

Yuggoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

I don't have the link but there should be a past broadcasts page somewhere. Maybe poke around the ffg twitch feed to find it?

They actually showed solid few hours of Cthulhu, much to the chagrin of the AGoT fans.

I will have another look around then, maybe I will manage to find it.

konx

konx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

I will have another look around then, maybe I will manage to find it.

http://www.twitch.tv...ive/b/586015260

Some Cthulhu coverage starts here at 01:43:00

I don't know how long it is in total, but there appear to be something :) Watching now, will let you know for more details.

Konx

Yuggoth

Yuggoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

http://www.twitch.tv...ive/b/586015260

Some Cthulhu coverage starts here at 01:43:00

I don't know how long it is in total, but there appear to be something :) Watching now, will let you know for more details.

Konx

Watching now, thanks.

WWDrakey

WWDrakey

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 752 posts

I actually made timestamped links of the games shown for the Skype group:

Swiss (last round top table):
http://www.twitch.tv...15260?t=102m46s

Top 4:
http://www.twitch.tv...15260?t=173m25s

Final:
http://www.twitch.tv...15260?t=236m40s

...probably good to watch em soon, won't likely be kept there forever.

Those should get you directly to the start of each game (all in the same video). The commentary in the first one is more than a bit off, as Damon/Jaffer weren't able to tell the Yithian Scout and Peaslee from each other (well the glare on the cards was kinda horrible, I admit)... but otherwise I even kinda liked the commentary. Some good and interesting games, and looked like an interesting metagame. 

• Yipe, jasonconlon, cparadis and 3 others like this

Yuggoth

Yuggoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

I enjoyed the video content very much, very well done, awesome commentating from Damon Stone and Jaffer Batica (as a sidenote I enjoyed the extra bit of flavour about chess prodigy, made it even greater).

Obtuse

Obtuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Compared to some of the other commentary I heard from Thrones and Star Wars, Damon and Jaffer did an absolutely amazing job. The soothing quality of Damon's voice was remarked about in the live stream chat. Yes there was some confusion between the Yithian Scout and Peaslee but those cards have incredibly similar art on them and I've made the mistake a number of times with the cards right in front of me. I have doubts that they read this forum often, but very well done guys!

Next year I'm hopeful they'll be able to have multiple channels for the different games. That way I won't have to threaten to engage in fisticuffs with 212 Thrones players for the honor of the game we love.

Greynomad38

Greynomad38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Re:  David's table chatter--Attempt to distract his opponent, nervousness, or he's just a chatty guy?  ;)

Wilbur

Wilbur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
Really not sure on that... I've been trying to withhold judgement, because I wasn't there. Had he asked me for advice with resourcing, as he did Tom, or asked me what was in my deck, as he did Jeremy... to say nothing of his bitching about Dreamlands cards (like Claret Knight, apparently)...
When I said that Jeremy was a cool customer, I meant he showed a level of self control that I sadly admit is beyond me.
  • Greynomad38 likes this

norwegiangeek

norwegiangeek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
He's a super chatty guy and fun to play against.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

i'll make a tourney report later this week been busy week, went 6-1 in thrones. 

dwarvenpony

dwarvenpony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Thank you, everyone! I'm very honored and fortunate to have won. Congrats to David for coming so close and being a great guy and player. All of my opponents were fantastic and it was a real pleasure dueling against players like the Australian National Champ and Danigral. Glad you guys made it here and hope to see you next year.

I'll post the decklist of my 3 color mess later (busy weekend!).

• HappyDD, Jhaelen, Yipe and 4 others like this

Yipe

Yipe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Congrats to dwavenpony and all the other players, it looked like a great tournament.

Also big thanks to WWDrakey for putting up links to the games.  I would've missed out on the coverage otherwise.

SPOILERS for those who haven't watched:

It's too bad Dave didn't use his Ice Shaft on Lucas Tetlow prior to replaying his Ultima Thule.  I felt like that mistake more than anything caused his deck to stall out (he had mainly 3-cost characters in his hand at the time) and let Jeremy control the tempo from that point on.  I think Dave mistakenly thought that invulnerable characters were immune to both wounding and destruction (you catch him saying that at the start of the game and he wasn't corrected).