Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Discuss Gandalf decks (:

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

So after worlds now over and with reboot of thrones coming less inclinded to play that right now and really been in mood for lotr so I just made my first Gandalf Deck

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com The Lord of the Rings Deckbuilder Total Cards: (46) Hero: (3) 1x Elrond (SaF) 1x Gandalf (The Road Darkens) 1x Gr�ma (VOI) Ally: (24) 1x Arwen Undomiel (TWitW) 2x Erebor Hammersmith (Core) 3x Galadhrim Minstrel (Trouble in Tharbad) 2x Galadriel (The Road Darkens) 2x Gleowine (Core) 2x Herald of an�rien (Trouble in Tharbad) 3x Imladris Stargazer (FoS) 2x Ithilien Lookout (The Dunland Trap) 2x Master of the Forge (SaF) 2x Miner of the Iron Hills (Core) 2x Northern Tracker (Core) 2x Warden of Healing (TLD) 2x Zigil Miner (KD) Attachment: (10) 2x Gandalf Staff (The Road Darkens) 1x Keys of Orthanc (VOI) 2x Resourceful (TWitW) 1x Vilya (SaF) 2x Wizard Pipe (The Road Darkens) 2x Expert Treasure-hunter (OtD) 1x Light of Valinor (FoS) Event: (12) 2x A Test of Will (Core) 2x Daeron's Runes (FoS) 3x Flame of Anor (The Road Darkens) 3x The Galadhrim's Greeting (Core) 3x Word of Command (TLD)

What have you all been trying? I just barely beat the Stewards Fear, was first time playing through it. I almost threat out and almost milled myself with getting the plot that you lose if you run out of a deck.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

for some reason the pop works awful for lotr... also the deck is actually 51 cards for some reason it got screwed up because the newest chapter pack cards didn't work right. 

divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

I initially tried to have some fun and do a mono-Gandalf secrecy deck, but it seemed too awkward in a lot of ways, and a bit slow when up against scenarios in which the encounter deck sends multiple low engagement cost enemies at you right away. 

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
I have yet to start the ringmaker cycle or get the new saga so this is just theory craft.... BUT....

Grima - Why? If you're planning on the combo of Elrond and Vilya aren’t you expecting to use that to pay for cards? So his ability is nearly useless apart form making your threat management a little more difficult, and you are going ot be starting high anyway. Maybe change him to Mirlonde and save yourself +3 start threat?

Vilya - I realise you have word of command and attachment fetch with Glorfindel and Master of the Forge, but I would still put in 3 copies of this card. You want to draw it in your opening hand for the most effect and otherwise draw it mega early. This will enable you to use your fetches to grab the pipe and staff. Also the power of this combo looks to me to about the ability to cast high cost cards for nearly no cash. So why not put in as many high cost cards as you can muster. Beorn, Galdriel (5 cost lore), Eagles are Coming, Radagast. There are a tone of good allies that are unique all high cost that this deck can play from any sphere with no problem. Do not think of them as singles, as any of them if worth playing. Remember it also allows you to play events and attachments for free. So there are some powerful high cost events and with pipe (that you also attach to Ragagast) and Glorfindel you can keep these powerful cards in hand and put them on top of your deck when needed to play therm.

Attachment Fetch - Master and that new elf drop effect guy .. I can see why you have them.. but think about how many cards you are pulling.. basically two a turn once your running. So your burning though the deck pretty fast. Add Glorfindel and Star gazer you get to see and arrange 3 cards at turn, draw two. Do you need all the fetch, especially when you add in Word of Command?

I dunno, as I said I am just theory crafting here.. but my main rule of thumb in card games is if you have a card with a cool function.. use other cards to make that function trigger more often and easier. You want to control what card is on the top, and control what card is going to be on top after you draw your card in the refresh phase. You get to play cards for free so use the most bonkers powerful allies and events and attachments you can think of as you need no effort to pay for them. Maybe running Gondor Flame as you will have resource glut as your not using them to pay for cards.. or use tons of mounts that have costs to activate. How about using that Gandalf resource glut for timely aid ... get a card in play (a good one) then use Vilya to get a second one in play.. 2 power allies in play in one turn for 4 cost.. nice! and the important part is that it is the same "idea" as the rest of the deck..

Just some ideas.

slothgodfather

slothgodfather

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2951 posts

I haven't wrapped my head around a Gandalf deck yet.  I've currently still interested in breaking the silvans. Sadly they just aren't as breakable as the Outlands guys.    But it is nice to have a few jumper decks rolling.    

I don't see Bilbo in that list.  He is great for searching out your pipe attachment.  While search effects are nice, exhausting Gandalf for it seems like a rather large cost.  Also, since you expect to be exhausting your heroes, I'd suggest slotting in some Unexpected Courage attachments.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

the real hard thing is making cuts :/ i didn't even think about unexpected courage i should add that...i just have no clue what to cut. Grima is in the deck so that I can almost always play the top card of my deck it is such big card advantage when you can play the top card. Also turn one resourceful is amazing. 

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
But in a vilya deck you do not need to pay for cards... Isn't that right?

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

yea but I am not trying to rely on vilya, feels like cheating ha. Also, I am not running big characters in this version so I can actually pay for my cards. It probably isn't the best version but did good the game tried it so far. Hopefully can do a few more runs with it this weekend and make tweaks. 

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
hmm... well I would just drop it completely if you're not planning on using it "correctly" :) Gandalf works great in outlanders with that leadership guy.. also allows you to add steward. Drop Elrond and Vilya.. go outlands?

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
I'll never ever build outlands lol

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
hehe.. well I think we have incompatible deck building philosophies! I try and build the best most powerful deck possible so I can solo the entire game. I pretty much only play nightmare as well. So I need strong decks :) Deck building for me is all about finding the best synergies and stuff.

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts
Since isn't a competitive game for lotr I just build good fun decks. I am still always able to eventually beat the quests if have to make slight tweaks to my deck for scenario. Also not running one deck only so can add with a deck that helps weakness

Tragic

Tragic

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts
I get where your coming from.. but I get the most pleasure by making the decks in these kind of games. Playing the game itself is just a byproduct of the real game.. which is the deck building!

divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

I'll never ever build outlands lol

You should try it. Playing Outlands can be pretty fun sometimes. 

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

tried it once. to me it is the same as playing easy mode, in deck building and gameplay. 

divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

tried it once. to me it is the same as playing easy mode, in deck building and gameplay. 

Outlands has a tough time against many scenarios. Play HoN and the Against the Shadow cycle...it can be very difficult to accumulate allies. 

mnBroncos

mnBroncos

Advanced Member

• Small Council
  • 3801 posts

yea I tried them once I just never been a fan of the "silver" type of characters in card games. I played a lot of lotr this weekend played through the whole against the shadow cycle because I discovered I never even have played them yet! Was a lot of fun, however, I didn't play with gandalf. I wanted to run Silvan's with Prince Imrahil and Eomer they work so well together (: