Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How do cardgamedb users play LotR?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: How do cardgamedb users play LotR? (134 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you primarily play LotR?

1. solo - one deck (66 votes [49.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 49.25%

2. solo - two deck (13 votes [9.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.70%

3. multiplayer (55 votes [41.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.04%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Raven1015

Raven1015

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I originally started mostly 1 deck solo, since about Khazad Dum or so, I play almost exclusively 2 deck solo

divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
I play LoTR with others when I can; I have a few friends that play. But, I mainly play it when there is no one around to play AGoT or SW, and I need my fix of LCG for the day. :)

Frodo64

Frodo64

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I mostly play solo as I recently started to play. After reading articles in the new talesfromthecards blog I´m interested in playing two handed solo as well!

renegadeshepherd

renegadeshepherd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
as the poll does not adequately allow me to answer i must give my post....

I mostly play solo single deck BUT, play 5 decks at any given time and as such some of those decks do not have the "optimized" builds. I never play multiple decks of mine by myself ever as it then becomes work for me and if my deck cant cut it on its own i dont want it. Multi-player sessions with my friends are almost always 3+ players rather than simply two players. all said 66% solo 33% multi.

Kyuss

Kyuss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I play with my seven year old son a lot but I also do a lot of solo one handed. Probably about 50/50.

Lovecraft

Lovecraft

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I always play this with 3 other people. WIth rotating members since everyone wants a shot at playing. I provide the game, play Tactics and they just bring the support of the sphere they pick. ^_^

Jiriki

Jiriki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
I am surprised how many people play solo^^ I, personally, prefer playing with other people. I play only occasionally with friends and/or family, though. When we do, it varies from 2 to 4 players.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts
I think for many it's just a secondary LCG to play when no opponents for your favorite, competitive LCG are available.
At least that was my reason for getting into LotR.

Jiriki

Jiriki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
ok^^ for me, it's more the cooperative aspect that's interesting...

JCSpeed2013

JCSpeed2013

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Mostly solo with two decks. My wife will play occasionally. I also play on OCTGN.

Zalrus9

Zalrus9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I mainly play solo one handed, but once I get some bigger table space, I may start going two handed. Also, when OCTGN goes on the mac (or if LackeyCCG plugin gets a new steward), I may start going online with it too.

Tiandes

Tiandes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
For Solo play, OCTGN is just amazing

As for coop, I originally bought LOTR LCG especially for this, being able to play with my gf without the competition aspect. But since I'm about to become a dad for the second time, my gf isn't up for games lately...

It will have to wait!

By the way, how do you play with new comers? I kind of feel that it might be tricky to play with peoples new to the game as they will have a ton of questions plus you probably give them a side-deck you already build that goes well with your main ones. But at the same time you don't want to play for them as it wil only be a different version of two-handed play and I doubt they will appreciate if you overshadow their every moves.

Jhaelen

Jhaelen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

By the way, how do you play with new comers?

I've created four mono-sphere decks that basically include a single copy of most cards plus a couple of duplicate allies. I then ask them what kind of deck they'd be most interested in, e.g.
- card draw / healing -> Lore,
- threat reduction / canceling / recurring cards -> Spirit,
- bonus resources / buffing -> Leadership,
- attack / defense -> Tactics.
Then I choose another deck and we both pick a set of three heroes.

It's best to start with one of the early, easier scenarios.
After losing a scenario I encourage them to pick different heroes or replace cards.

It usually doesn't take them long to realize which cards work well and which don't.

And of course there's a lot of discussions about tactics going on before any characters are committed to any task.