Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Descendants of Isha | Sixth War Pack

• Please log in to reply
407 replies to this topic

SynnerG

SynnerG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=5241

Sheesh, blown away here. The Vior'la with an Ethereal Envoys are something to not take lightly. And when Aun'shi shows up, they will be armorbane.

The Inquisitor is very curious, being neutral n' all. Damn heretics!

And that Warlord, throwing out the core set conventions again as a 8/7 start, more events than army units and the units have no command hammers!

Marine players can dictate where and when combats happen, makes sense, and powerful at setting up future plays and triggering more abilities.

Minute

Minute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

pretty stoked for Squiggify.

• ExNihilo likes this

steinerp

steinerp

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Bah, but it is the eldar warlord and squad I want to see!

GKZhukov

GKZhukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

Urien is a puzzle.

Torture has discard stuff (sig events, visions)

Torture has combat stuff (grotesque, sig units, soul seizure)

Torture has sucky command (sig units, grotesque, coliseum for torture recursion, razor wings if you want to try the choke approach)

You can't make a deck with event spam, but no draw; card choke, but no command; expensive units, but no resource generation (command again).

I think he'll be a lot of fun to try out, and there's still 6-9 DE cards we haven't seen, plus a few Neutrals, but he feels like he's going to be a tricky one. And I still don't like the Grotesque.

Some form of draw/choke with Soul Seizure taking the place of a heavy hitter might be doable if the Command problem can be fixed. I suspect the sig event will be one to use as shields to fuel SS, or discarded to fuel the sig units. The actual effect is too easy to mitigate to really be considered choke, so maybe choke is actually a red herring? Visions after all is arguably better outside of choke where the intel and targeted nature of the discard are worth more. So maybe, as much command control as possible, flexing it towards draw in general, but able to go for resources instead if you want to play the heavies, followed by loads of torture and a bit of general good stuff?

The Sig event would be so much better if the 1 damage was un-shieldable. Though even then... (Just realised it is a 0 cost trigger of Hypex though - again a use that doesn't actually involve its effect)

Liyan

Liyan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
1st quarter of 2014... The warpack is in a time muuhchhiinee!
  • sammann11 and ExNihilo like this

ExNihilo

ExNihilo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

pretty stoked for Squiggify.

Same. I was disappointed when something like it wasn't included in Zogwort's signature squad, despite the ability being probably the most notable thing about the character. Glad to see it wasn't forgotten.

I'm also digging Rakarth and his torture synergy. He also seems to synch with the playstyle of his faction better then Kith.

Minute

Minute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Same. I was disappointed when something like it wasn't included in Zogwort's signature squad, despite the ability being probably the most notable thing about the character. Glad to see it wasn't forgotten.

I'm also digging Rakarth and his torture synergy. He also seems to synch with the playstyle of his faction better then Kith.

I think I disagree with this.  I feel Kith does card choke better than right now (more cards may change my mind).  The free tokens from Kith's signature squad synergize really well with the card choke archetype that often leaves you flush with cards (for shielding) but low on resources for deploying by giving out free units.

• GKZhukov likes this

Nematode

Nematode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Marine players can dictate where and when combats happen, makes sense, and powerful at setting up future plays and triggering more abilities.

What do you suppose the Hallow Librarium (SM support) card does?  The only part of the text I'm making out from the image is: "Action: Exhaust this support to have ... at a planet without an enemy warlord ... until the end of the phase."  Unfortunately, I'm not really getting much idea what the card does with the missing bits of text.

Ywingscum

Ywingscum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Rakarth's support! I get to see every card that goes into your hand?  If i think it's too good I can discard it? at a cost of discarding my top card, and if it's medicore, i can say draw it and i draw a card? WOW! and the attachment, so when i play that toture event, your opponent must sacrifice a unit, with the support, now you have to discard a second unit, and i can now choose the target?  I must have had too many beers, and completely misreading these cards, oh and the units are 3/3 for 2 cost! no hammers sure, but that's pretty darn good.  The sig events i get to play for free? ok this is pretty darn good.  Kith or Rakarth, very different play styles, 2 thumbs up

• Liyan likes this

VonWibble

VonWibble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2996 posts

What do you suppose the Hallow Librarium (SM support) card does?  The only part of the text I'm making out from the image is: "Action: Exhaust this support to have ... at a planet without an enemy warlord ... until the end of the phase."  Unfortunately, I'm not really getting much idea what the card does with the missing bits of text.

Originally I thought it was "to have a battle at a planet..." but until the end of the phase doesn't fit that.

Kumquat

Kumquat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Im thinking that Hallow Librarium might be to have initiate at a planet without an enemy warlord present until the end of the phase.

• GKZhukov likes this

GKZhukov

GKZhukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

In the cold light of day I've decided I'm less impressed with Rakarth now. Fun? Yes. Effective? Very unconvinced.

Even in a Torture heavy deck, how many Torture events will we really play? I think you'd be hard pressed to get more than 1 resource out of him a turn. Compare this to other economy warlords (Cato, Shadowsun, Kith) and he falls far short. That's before you even take into account the penalty to Doom/Warpstorm, Terror, Raid, and potentially Superiority. The better Torture cards feel a tad overpriced anyway, so Rakarth is only bringing them into line.

Then there's the sig event - it basically does nothing beyond fuel torture synergy. The unit is nice (though lack of command hurts, in current DE, but the other unspoiled cards might help with that). The support and attachment are 1x so aren't a good enough reason to pick Rakarth.

Is there something I am missing? Even if there are some epic Torture cards in the in-between war packs, there's only so many Events you can run/play, so his economy still won't improve.

Nematode

Nematode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Releasing Rakarth in the last pack of the cycle may have been a strategic move by the design team.  More than any of the other warlords spoiled so far, he may really need the rest of the cards from the cycle to function as intended.

• taider54 likes this

Etaywah

Etaywah

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

WHK07-fan.png

urien-rakarth.pngtwisted-wracks.png

ichor-gauntlet.pnguriens-oubliette.png

rakarths-experimentations.png

• Toqtamish and MotoBuzzsawMF like this

Etaywah

Etaywah

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

what does squiggify do? Am I missing something or do we not know yet?

Nematode

Nematode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

We don't have a Squigg token yet.  So, I have no idea.

GKZhukov

GKZhukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

The blurb just says turn your enemies into Squigs. So some kind of transmogrification effect I guess.

Asklepios

Asklepios

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 5433 posts

Squiggify has 2 shields on it, so expect to be using it. Though by that time we may be flooded by Armorbane Tau decks.

That neutral Inquisitor looks to be the biggest metachanger there. He basically neuters any deck that relies excessively on the long game - looking at Eldorath and his Doom tricks here...

Rakarth I'm also thinking is wholly unimpressive. Could be wrong though, as was wrong about Kith, and as a community we were wrong about Ragnar for a while.

Viorla Warrior Cadre - meh. Even activated, its 4 for 1/4/3 ranged. Baleful mandrake is 3 for 1/3/2 ranged, and you don't have to meet any conditions for it. 4 for 1/4/3 would be balanced as it is , without the activation condition.

Most exciting card for me there is Ancient Keeper of Secrets. Why? A seven cost daemon is bound to have an interesting ability!

Johnny5

Johnny5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
That neutral Inquisitor looks to be the biggest metachanger there. He basically neuters any deck that relies excessively on the long game - looking at Eldorath and his Doom tricks here...

We'll have to see about that. He's not a terrible combat card, but if you're losing badly in the command phase such that his ability is going to be good to use spending 4 on him is essentially your whole turn. I really like the card idea, since I'm of the opinion that heavy command decks need to see some counters like big army decks have (mostly doom), but I would have greatly preferred it as a lower cost event.

I agree that the fire warrior cadre seems underwhleming. It's a little better than the stingwinds if you have ethereals, but generally 4 is a lot to drop on a unit.

If the new marine support is in fact an ability to force a battle anywhere I will be an unhappy person. A number the the factions could really use that ability and something that does that should be neutral. Or if not neutral, then at least not marine since I feel they need it the least of the more heavily fighting (vs command) oriented decks/factions.

GKZhukov

GKZhukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1055 posts

I don't see how it can force a battle with "end of phase" as part of the text. Kumquat's guess seems a good one. I wouldn't like to see a forced battle as a neutral card I think, but a loyal faction card, just, as you say, not Marine.

The cadre is still nice in an Ethereal deck. Not epic, but if you're almost always going to be able to trigger it then it beats out Stingwing, which is a fairly popular card. The conditionality means it's not just outright better than Stingwing, which is also good as that would just be powercreep.

I'm really struggling to see Rakarth's strengths. Kith is way better at both choke and economy - the only thing I could see making him stronger is if he somehow had access to serious card draw and very cheap and effective torture events at the same time. Ideally a card that was both (which seems unlikely as torture is about hurting the opponent rather than buffing yourself). Maybe we'll get more stuff (especially units that also have command) that interact with the Torture trait itself, rather than just alternate events, I guess that could work too. An X/X unit where X is based on Torture cards in your discard a la Soul Seizure maybe? Or a Bad Dok-esque unit, but the condition for the command icons is a Torture card in your discard rather than a damage? A mill card that mills X where X is Torture cards in discard. A unit/support that is when you play a torture event draw a card. I dunno.

We could well be wrong about Rakarth, but if so I think it'll be due to unseen cards. As he stands the maths just doesn't add up to me. Ragnar wasn't really slated by the community - some people didn't think much of him, but there were a fair few supporters too. To a much smaller extent Kith also (though the majority here were definitely anti-her).