Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

INCREASING PLAYER BASE, CALL TO ACTION. We need fun and easy to play decks to introduce the game.

- - - - - decks deck casual beginner introducing showing teaching deckbuilder

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Zephyr

Zephyr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Winrate is one thing, but its not even the most important thing. If you have a deck that wins if it gets its combo pieces, and loses otherwise, without much interaction, it can have perfect 50% winrate and still be really boring to play with or against.

Competitive decks need to win, they are not designed to present difficult decisions - thats what other players and they decks are for. Im thinking more about Shocking transformation deck that has all average characters and you need to actually make a meaningfull choice of what suits particular game state best not just grab your best guy.

And im thinking more about "scenraios" then normal decks. Core gameplay would be CoC cards and rules, but it might bring sme extra rules or modyfications, like Playing Agancy vs cthulhu, but agency has shocking trasformation that does not require resource match (or starts game with one card less and shoulb resource already under one domain).

Or maybe some special fixed story cards for this scenario only.

Or special victory condition, like one player has 2 copies of special modified cthulhu cost 8 (cannot be reduced), When Cthulhu i played, you win he game. And other player has option of doing something to discard one resource from opponents highest domain.

Mulletcheese

Mulletcheese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1050 posts
The player base seems to be growing quickly in the UK, last year there were 4 store championships announced (one of them was just to get a kit and not to run a tournament) and this year 10 have been announced.

I don't know what kind of growth the rest of the world has seen.

FunkeXMix

FunkeXMix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Hi all, I got my 2x core set and terror in venice now and played the game with a friend whom I already played with before with 1 core set. He did not really have that fun. Then we met again for a coffe, he didn't have time to build a deck at the time so he just took all hastur cards and I all miscatonic. He had a lot of fun!

I'm trying to bring back one point I think is important. 1 core set impresses very few, wait until you have more before you introduce the game.

Saint7x

Saint7x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Hey Mulletcheese, I can tell you that the growth for this game in Canada is slow, few, but steady.

Corwin81

Corwin81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Hi all, I got my 2x core set and terror in venice now and played the game with a friend whom I already played with before with 1 core set. He did not really have that fun. Then we met again for a coffe, he didn't have time to build a deck at the time so he just took all hastur cards and I all miscatonic. He had a lot of fun!

I'm trying to bring back one point I think is important. 1 core set impresses very few, wait until you have more before you introduce the game.

I'm relatively new to the game myself (1yr or so, not playing frequently), but what works well for me to introduce new players to the game is indeed to have two readily available, strongly thematic mono-faction decks which have a relatively balanced matchup.

I'll try to post some lists tailored to a reduced carpool in the coming week or so. Of course these wouldn't be remotely competitive in tournaments.

I use classic miskatonic rush, syndicate skill reduction + tactics (naomi...), cthulhu deep ones + direct character kill.

Also have a Agency/ST abusing government synergies and Day effect, heavily based on Terror in Venice cards. Generally I switch to this one when my opponent starts to get used to the basics, to demonstrate how the resource match and domain management works for a dual deck.

Excellent deluxe expansions to build the above are:

Denizen of the Underworld - basically delivers anything you need for a very nice and effective Syndicate deck.

Seekers of Knowledge - same for Miskatonic

Secrets of Arkham and Terror in Venice - include great cards for all factions (SoA has no Silver Twilight though)

Of course it also depends the factions you're most interested in; The Key and the Gate for Yog and the Silver Twilight box are great, however their faction mechanics are a bit trickier to grasp for new players. Sleeper Below is nice, but not so vital to build a viable beginner Cthulhu deck imo. Maybe because I lack playtime with these new cards.

Can't wait for the Hastur and Shub boxes :)))

FunkeXMix

FunkeXMix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Hey guys, this deck seems simple enough for introducing the game, it's not so bad either. It's fast, character management is pretty simple. Easy to explain. Based on catastrophic explosion and atwood science hall. Catastrophic explosion is used at 3 cost to destroy 2 skill characters. Atwood science hall brings all your skill 2 chars to 3 (almost all) so yours don't die. The rest seems to be pretty solid against different decks.

http://www.cardgamed...k_54a66e470bca9

2x core set

1x terror in venice plus asylum pack card catastrophic explosion.

In terms of what you need to own to play this, a simpler focus without the asylum pack addition would be plague stone and ironcross + hand of fate to bring back your characters. More complicated though.

What do you think?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: decks, deck, casual, beginner, introducing, showing, teaching, deckbuilder