Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Draft: Letter to FFG

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

Troopershark

Troopershark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

There are specific reasons why a regular flow of new cards is even more important at this stage for SWLCG then the other LCG's (in competitive context):

- The card pool is still reasonably small, especially when you consider the relative power level of objective sets to others and quickly tag the "unplayable sets"

- The objective set deck building model reduces variance and flexibility and makes it easier for the best deck / decks to be identified

Bottom line is the meta gets stagnant very quickly

My big issue is not so much with not hitting release dates personally, it is just the absence of new products shaking things up in general for extended periods of time.  I do believe if they missed every single release by 3-4 months vs what they initially announced, but still had chapter packs coming out every month, most people would not be complaining about delays in releases.

• Sithborg likes this

darthbs

darthbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
I'd like to make a point about advertisement.

I don't feel there is enough not sure about everyone else's feelings. For such a strong brand there should be more talk about FFG's games in general.

I work part time in a newsagents and continuously check out Star Wars insider. Over the past year I have seen only a couple of articles on FFF product. One was for imperial aces for x wing and the other being for imperial assault in the latest issue. I have never seen the card game covered I don't think unless it was before I started looking into it. There's so much that could be done just from one good article in the right place.

Apart from fan podcasts, team covenant and the articles FFG put out. There isn't I feel much of a spread outside of the FFG fan base.

I remember when fullyops did the first spoiler we got. I tried my best to give it as much coverage as possible. I took to twitter and passed it around as much as possible. I even dangled it in the sabbac tables nose a cast which I considered to possible have a hold on more of the Star Wars fan base with the force.net. The first time they gave a nod to it, but since then every other spoiler I sent there way to promote the game never seems to feature on the show. They even said that there main focus was on x wing and any other new thing. I found that disappointing for a show that promotes star wars gaming.

Meanwhile with a new wave of comics coming about I'd like to see something feature there.

I know a great way to get promotion is to do it through fans and yes I agree it's fun and rewarding but I feel this community has taken such a hit that we haven't got the energy to keep up a standard of promotion, with a lack of product to support us in promotion you can understand why many of us have gone on hiatus.

I think FFG need to pursue new outlets in promotion and consider other strategies to engage at the lower end of the organised play pyramid.
  • yodaman, KennedyHawk and yankeefan1355 like this

KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1890 posts

Meanwhile with a new wave of comics coming about I'd like to see something feature there.

I know a great way to get promotion is to do it through fans and yes I agree it's fun and rewarding but I feel this community has taken such a hit that we haven't got the energy to keep up a standard of promotion, with a lack of product to support us in promotion you can understand why many of us have gone on hiatus.

I think FFG need to pursue new outlets in promotion and consider other strategies to engage at the lower end of the organised play pyramid.

I've e-mailed FFG about this before, especially your first line. I received a somewhat generic email about my communication being forwarded to the correct team.

Upper deck and other companies are great about advertising their games. When the Guardians of the Galaxy legendary expansion came out there were ads in the comics in the four weeks leading up to it. Cryp had similar ads for the DC deck builder. I've seen ads for smaller CCGs as well. FFG would be missing out big time if they don't put a Star Wars LCG ad into the three new Star Wars books hitting shelves this January. They could even do a page where the top half is X-wing and the bottom half is LCG. similar books could be found to promote LOTR and AGOT games as well.

The comic book market may not be the same as the board/cardgame market, but they are closely aligned. They'd be sure to pick up a few players just by putting in the ads let alone any kind of cross promotion. There's a lot of potential in magazine and comic advertising that I hope they consider.

• darthbs likes this

darthbs

darthbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
They could put an advert in all the back covers of the legends books they print with that banner. Seems fitting as the game covers a lot of that.
  • KennedyHawk likes this

thanatopsis

thanatopsis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

My only feedback is that the letter is really long. We have a lot of important things to express in this letter and I'm sure there are passionate people at FFG that will read this letter in its entirety. 

Do we want Christian Petersen to read this letter? He is the CEO and no doubt a very busy man trying to manage many product lines, etc, etc. If a letter from anyone is going to make it to his eyes and be read in its entirety, it needs to be about half as long. This is not being critical of him, it's the plight of the CEO of any company.

Whenever you read something, there is a certain amount of mental fatigue that builds over time. When I read a short poem, I can focus on each specific word. When I read a textbook, the words all start to blend together. 

The letter's effectiveness can be improved if we reduce the length and maintain the quality of the content. 

• holliday88 and KennedyHawk like this

MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

Okay, so my counter-point for the spoilers is that it is possible for FFG to extend spoilers as far out as 5 months for each set and still have a steady flow of data for the community. It would necessitate that major players also contribute during the time between major releases (like the beginning of a cycle and deluxe expansions).

Option A works something like this:

4.5 months before a projected release date FFG releases an article/spoiler.

6 weeks later another spoiler is released by org A. FFG does a quick op ed on the spoiler.

6 weeks later another spoiler is released by org B. FFG does a quick op ed on the spoiler and *possibly gives a ballpark release timetable.

6 weeks later the set hits the majority of the play base. FFG does their announcement article and writes about a 4th set (standard operating procedure).

This is repeated for each subsequent pack in the cycle, adjusting as necessary. The beauty of this system is that with the first through the 5th article announcing the release, they *could include the information about the next release. This keeps information well within reasonable forecast of actual release dates AND gives spoilers to the players.

Part of the price of admission to spoiling these sets should be a follow on article at some point by these organizations, to be posted on FFG's site during lull periods. If they used 6 different orgs or individuals during Force pack cycles, that would be a potential 4.5 months of articles if they are spaced every 3 weeks (about the same average traffic as would happen during the Force cycle after it gets rolling). Each of them would only be required to write one, but could do more.

Option B allows for 5 months, but requires more writing from exterior orgs, which increasing the amount of proofing and web-creation for FFG. The premise is similar in that 2 orgs get to spoil an entire OSet:

5 months out FFG releases a full set spoiler for an upcoming Force pack.

4 weeks later org A writes an article spoiling a single card but writes about the whole set generally (strategy, place in meta, etc)

4 weeks later org B writes an article spoiling a single card but writes about the whole set generally (strategy, place in meta, etc)

4 weeks later org A releases their full set spoiler however they choose.

4 weeks later org A releases their full set spoiler however they choose.

4 weeks later FFG releases their announcement article and spoils another set as in normal fashion, and includes information about the next release.

This second requires more work overall, but extends the duration and opens the forum up for discussion and speculation. This second format can also be extended easier, and once it gets going will see information every 2 weeks on average.

I personally like option A because it feels cleaner and requires less work at the hand of FFG, while the second could be employed for longer periods (up to 6 months fairly easily), but requires more end user work for FFG.

MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

My only feedback is that the letter is really long. We have a lot of important things to express in this letter and I'm sure there are passionate people at FFG that will read this letter in its entirety. 

Do we want Christian Petersen to read this letter? He is the CEO and no doubt a very busy man trying to manage many product lines, etc, etc. If a letter from anyone is going to make it to his eyes and be read in its entirety, it needs to be about half as long. This is not being critical of him, it's the plight of the CEO of any company.

Whenever you read something, there is a certain amount of mental fatigue that builds over time. When I read a short poem, I can focus on each specific word. When I read a textbook, the words all start to blend together. 

The letter's effectiveness can be improved if we reduce the length and maintain the quality of the content. 

I have definitely considered this, and the intro and anecdotes could easily be removed. The issue that I foresee is that without the level of explanation, it begs much more interpretation than I would want. If I had a high enough degree of confidence that FFG would ask for follow-up details, then a shorter letter would work; but I do not.

If the CEO is opening up and reading every mail that comes through FFG, then there might be bigger issues. If the letter becomes important enough to reach him, then some lackey will pre-digest the information. In the end, the entire purpose of this letter is to provide some fairly specific information AND provide suggestions for solutions.

If it were a brief, then it would be organized differently, with "back-up" slides providing the additional information about specific topics. This is not that, and as such, I don't feel it very complete without the fidelity of information provided.

Letux

Letux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1590 posts
The spoilers are fine currently if they fix the delays. Don't even mention them.
  • Toqtamish, Budgernaut and Gamer257 like this

MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

Also, there are 6 specific concerns with 6 suggestions for fixing them. I personally do not like to ever raise concern without also providing a suggested course of corrective action.

yankeefan1355

yankeefan1355

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

The letter expresses all of the concerns of the entire community.  These are numerous and have spawned many forum threads and multiple discussions that FFG doesn't read.

You can't really expect this to be expressed in a paragraph with bullet points... that would have little to no effect at all.  If you don't have a well written letter that spells out the A,B,C problems with this game, FFG  and the player community's issues, than what would that accomplish?  Nothing at all....

Also, btw, I don't give a Jar Jar about how "busy" the CEO of a company is... not my problem.  Don't care.  He's the CEO of a card gaming company.  Company = profit... that's why there are CO... to make a profit... that's why people start CO... to make money.

Now, if you don't want to listen to your consumers, don't care, or don't have the time to read letters, than you'll lose your consumer base (us, the gaming community) and than you can print all the cards, with all the delays, and no one will be there to buy them. 

Budgernaut

Budgernaut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Also, there are 6 specific concerns with 6 suggestions for fixing them. I personally do not like to ever raise concern without also providing a suggested course of corrective action.

When you put it that way, it seems maybe we should number these into a distilled list of concerns and action items, maybe as a summary paragraph.

• holliday88 likes this

jjohnson111

jjohnson111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

I personally dislike all the spoilers.  It makes me realize long before the pack is out that set A is going to be good, and set B is (in the current meta) trash, or lackluster.  

It removes the whole "yay I'm opening something new" and promotes me looking past what is currently developing, into what might develop months down the line.  It makes me realize what is garbage far before the pack even comes out.  This isn't a feeling I have just to SWLCG either from FFG.  X-Wing ends up being very similar.  

For the deluxe packs, it's not so bad, generally you are getting more than 6 sets of objectives, so you can easily spoil more from that, but the monthly packs, at least give me 1 or 2 sets that are a surprise when I open them up.  It makes me think about them at the time of opening them, rather than 2 months before when the community passes judgement on them.  Make me consider how those could affect the current meta.  During a championship season, it would energize communities to play more to test stuff out, I would think.  Some sets are doomed before force packs are even opened, and that's wrong in my book.

• yodaman, darthbs, yankeefan1355 and 1 other like this

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

I like one spoiler per pack.  Gets me excited, but doesn't bias my opinion about the playability of a whole pack before I even open it.  

holliday88

holliday88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

"I'd have written you a shorter letter but I didn't have time."

Maybe the 6 problems/solutions can be bulleted in the opening and let the rest of your letter expand. The reader can choose to read the details, but will understand your message quicker.

KennedyHawk

KennedyHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1890 posts

"I'd have written you a shorter letter but I didn't have time."

Maybe the 6 problems/solutions can be bulleted in the opening and let the rest of your letter expand. The reader can choose to read the details, but will understand your message quicker.

Yeap and I really like Adam's emphasis on providing constructive criticisms and solutions to those problems. It's not a laundry list of nags, it's a list of legitimate concerns and ways to address them.

• yankeefan1355 likes this

MasterJediAdam

MasterJediAdam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1623 posts

I am open to a re-org of the letter, but I think anything more than a casual glance by a sincere reader would allow them to identify each case and their corresponding suggestion.

This will have to wait until another day however; there is simply not time today for me to do this.

Letux

Letux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1590 posts

I get excited about 'bad' pods too and will use them as many ways as I can.

When a new spoiler comes out It makes you think about old pods in new ways too which is healthy.

On a more related note.. Good work Adam and thanks.

jjohnson111

jjohnson111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

I know the argument I made goes both ways - it spurs innovation at the time it is spoiled, but it could also spoil innovation at the time of a pack being opened.  It's not really a problem that I think can be solved, to be honest, there will never be a way to appease both sides of the audience sadly.  

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Conquest Rules Arbitrator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

many forum threads and multiple discussions that FFG doesn't read.

Not true. They do read the forums.

yankeefan1355

yankeefan1355

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1225 posts

If so, than why don't they respond?  Why are we having this discussion?  Why has it come to this?