Welcome to Card Game DB
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Store Champs Result Thread

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

Venryk

Venryk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Loving all the scum decks! How many people were at that event?

Edited the original post with participant numbers. We had numerous people not able to come at the last minute.

• chunkygorillas likes this

tierdal

tierdal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2344 posts
Hero’s Journey x2
Hero’s Trial x2
In You Must Go x2
Secret of Yavin IV x1
Forgotten Heroes x1
Watchers in the Wasteland x1
Following Fate x1

What is this even. .. core obi? Crap yoda? No kyle with all those dupes?

Scottie

Scottie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1968 posts
It looks to be a deck that managed to beat out the reigning world champion for 1st place at the FFG HQ Store Championship.
  • Toqtamish, yodaman, pantsyg and 1 other like this

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

Can't argue with results!

Also, I've been finding that if you manage to keep your mains alive/unfocused, having lots of duplicates in a deck just means you find them earlier/more consistently, and have great edge hands. It's not a playstyle that I'm particularly good at, but I play against guys who make it work well.

dbmeboy

dbmeboy

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3910 posts
Or having lots of copies allows you to be more aggressive with the mains because you'll be able to play a new copy. Kind of win/win unless the DS has enough tactics to lock things down.
  • pantsyg likes this

chunkygorillas

chunkygorillas

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

I really think core Yoda is going to make a comeback, maybe not in tier one decks but definitely tier 1.5 decks. I've been using it as a 1 of, getting shii-cho training on MTFBWY Yoda is insane in the later game. plus the objective and event cancel are amazing cards.

• pantsyg likes this

Scottie

Scottie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1968 posts
An Action Window Shi-Cho with Luke's new objective is one of the dirtier plays available with that objectives ability.
  • Budgernaut and chunkygorillas like this

MonteKev

MonteKev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Any results from this past weekend??

Pennsylvania, Six Feet Under Games?

Texas, Whose Turn Is It? Games?

Texas, Ettin Games & Hobbies?

CataractCowboy

CataractCowboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

6 at Austin whose turn is it anyway.

Flip won

I'll let him decide if he wants to post his decks

Einherjar

Einherjar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Any results from this past weekend??

Pennsylvania, Six Feet Under Games?

Texas, Whose Turn Is It? Games?

Texas, Ettin Games & Hobbies?

Six Feet Under's store championship was lightly attended, possibly due to some snow/ice that morning.  I am a crazy person, though, and drove 3 hours from New Jersey.  Couldn't help myself, first one within driving distance.  Only 5 people, 3 of whom were new to tourney play.  Good to see some new interest in the game, however, and they all said they are going to try to attend other local events.  The store owner was kind enough to throw the TO playmat into the prize pool so that everyone received a mat.  I was fortunate enough to win the event after 3 rounds of Swiss, having gone 5W-1D with the following:

DS - S+V Affil  (2W - 1D)

2 x Masterful Manipulation

2 x Tatooine Crash

2 x Lucrative Contract

2 x Slave Trade

2 x The Hunters

LS - Smug Affil (3W)

2 x MTFBWY

2 x Hero's Trial

2 x Asteroid Sanctuary

1 x Heroes and Legends

1 x Core Obi

1 x Watchers

1 x Gamor Run

Oddly, even though I (obviously) think LS is stronger currently, I'm more content with this DS deck being close to as good as I can make it.  That being said, I welcome any suggestions.  I'm fairly certain the Draw game the deck had would have been a win if not for user error, lol.  I had Dial at 7 and 3 damage on each of his objectives but got ahead of myself and plopped down a Jawa on reflex before paying the upkeep for my two Headhunters.  My opponent wisely noticed and informed me my Headhunters had left to seek new employment in my discard pile.  I took a deep breath and engaged Turtle Mode Alpha to salvage the draw point.  Hopefully I won't make that mistake again.  This did highlight the point that this deck usually needs to blow up at least 2 objectives to win.  For that reason, my one friend is advocating swapping Hunters for New Boba for more blast, but I don't know.  In two games I had both Hunters objectives out and a 6-hp obj.  7-7-8 hp is just flat out intimidating to get through.

As to the LS, I share the sentiment elsewhere on the forums that if you put 2 x MTFBWY and 2 x Hero's Trial in your deck, you could fill up the other 30 slots with My Little Pony CCG cards and still win about 50% of your games.  Again, though, I can't come down on what is the "best" LS deck out there.  Mono Jedi seems too slow, but the deck I played is vulnerable to Snoova and plays less consistently against Sith since it lacks some of the trickier bits from Mono Jedi sets like Following Fate and Master's Domain.  More playtesting definitely required...

• yodaman, chunkygorillas, MonteKev and 1 other like this

someguy11

someguy11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
Seems like that list would have a solid chance at winning edge battles. How were your force struggles ?

yodaman

yodaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2741 posts

The DS deck looks like a great build to me.  Taking a Hunters out seems a bit counterproductive based on what it looks like you're trying to do.  It seems like you want to maximize the odds of getting the objective out while also maximizing your chances of having Snoova hit the board with Boussh out for the extra click.  That's a good case for keeping 2 of those.

Personally, I think I'd be more inclined to take out  a Lucrative Contracts or a Tatooine Crash if I was going to try to add in another set with objective damage rather than removing a Hunters.  Either that or I'd try something against the grain and keep the 10 sets you listed and add in an 11th set with more blast and a regular resource card like new Boba or even Carbonite Transport. 

Crouton

Crouton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Maybe an 11th set Carbonite Transport? You have the capture to turn Slave 1 into a beast, it has one of the highest force counts for edge, and you have a target for the tractor beam, with both your headhunters and possibly their speeder bike. Just thinking out loud.

• yodaman likes this

Einherjar

Einherjar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

To answer the questions about the play of the DS deck:  It loses Force struggles early but comes back in late game.  The goal is to hunker down while the LS has its early game fun with MTFBWY and so on and then drop the overwhelming tactics hammer on Turn 3-ish.  By that point, any LS unit that attacks should never do so again for the rest of the game as it should be buried under a pile of little red dots.  The trick is winning edge in those early contested turns to keep yourself alive long enough to build Castle Tactics.  The 4 Twists and 2 Prince's Schemes are very good at winning edge (Scheme is dang near an auto-win), but the real clincher is actually the number of 3-dot cards.  Every set but Tat Crash has a 3-dot card which tends to screw up the "guessing math" of the LS player in the edge battle.

As to the build suggestions, I like the 11-set idea and will playtest it.  There's not really one card or objective that the deck needs to see or else it is crippled, so watering down the probabilities by putting another set in is not as harmful (as, say, in the LS deck where if you don't get MTFBWY out you are heavily gimped).  Both New Boba and Carbonite have merits.  I did not realize Carbonite has 9 dots, which is attractive, but I think I'm leaning towards New Boba just because I think he is a more reliable option for dropping objectives over 2+ turns.  I'm pretty sure Slave 1, not being Elite, is going to get one big boom and then be buried under Jedi tactic icons.  Also, the only reliable capture engine is Tat Crash, as Slave Trade cards usually go right out the window when the LS takes the Force back.

Any thoughts on the LS?  My one friend says a deck he's played against with the Old Ben's Spirit set and Hero's Trial is giving him fits.  I don't really see it, but I haven't tried it yet.  It seems a bit too defensive and slow for LS,  but I'd love to hear if anyone has played it with success.

CharlieFilms

CharlieFilms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

There's not really one card or objective that the deck needs to see or else it is crippled, so watering down the probabilities by putting another set in is not as harmful (as, say, in the LS deck where if you don't get MTFBWY out you are heavily gimped).  

Not to mention if you get Masterful Manipulation out then you can just cycle through your objectives which is always nice.

I have a Sith/Scum deck that I haven't seen posted yet that is very similar to what you're doing with edge and dropping bombs on turn 3. Mine has another concept to it as well, but I'll leave that until I play in a SC. Playtesting it has been really fun though!

pantsyg

pantsyg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2690 posts

I've been running a similar DS deck, and I've also been contemplating an 11th-set Boba. The additional resource is always helpful to set up for Bomb Time, and overall the set doesn't have too many cards that are just bummer draws. 

The beauty of the deck to me is the edge shenanigans (Scheme, Twists for days) and damage buffs/cancellation, which combined can really confound an LS player and really mess up their game plan.

Budgernaut

Budgernaut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

I wanted to use Masterful Manipulations to cycle through my objectives, but since Masterful Manipulations gets shuffled into your objective deck, it's a complete grab-bag which objective you draw. You could draw the very one you chose to bury at the beginning of the game. I wish it just went to the bottom of my deck.

chunkygorillas

chunkygorillas

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

I wanted to use Masterful Manipulations to cycle through my objectives, but since Masterful Manipulations gets shuffled into your objective deck, it's a complete grab-bag which objective you draw. You could draw the very one you chose to bury at the beginning of the game. I wish it just went to the bottom of my deck.

I like that is shuffles since my number one pick for a new objective is usually another masterful haha.

• pantsyg likes this

Einherjar

Einherjar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

I like that is shuffles since my number one pick for a new objective is usually another masterful haha.

Mine as well.  I had one test game where my opponent had Xizor on table and cycled and re-drew a Masterful three times.  First time he randomly captured Luke out of my hand, second time Obi, third time another Obi...  Not to mention each time you get a worry-free 2 resources.

• Budgernaut likes this

Elrathion

Elrathion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Just a clarification, I hope you guys are not using octgn for this, 

because it's a known bug that M Manipulations will be on the table again every time...